Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is an "Anti-semitic slur"? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what Omar is up against...

1.) Many people born and raised in the middle east have a hatred of Israel that often can bleed over into hatred of Jews.
2.) It's easy to conclude that because Omar is so worked up about Israel she could be one of these Israel and Jew haters.
3.) The exact transcript of Omar's statements allow her to reasonably deny these allegations IMO.
4.) People don't care about #3 because they "know" what's really in Omar's heart.

This is pretty standard procedure in our media for all types of racism. Personally, I think we need to stop with the fantasy that we can see into people's hearts, and just go with charitable interpretations of their words.
Then move on. By the way, this is my position even though the people that "know" Omar's really a racist might be 100% correct.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 10, 19 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: What is an "Anti-semitic slur"? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Context was key on this one. At the time this happened I thought there was a lot of activity in the region and with the US politicians. Something about official recognition of something another in Israel by Trump et-al? "On December 6, 2017, US President Donald Trump announced the United States recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and ordered the planning of the relocation of the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem."

So, it was contextually relevant at the time. And still is with more moves, like about the West Bank more recently. Not a random choice to pick on the Jewish state instead of other pacs or influencers.

Next, yeah, it's a race card kind of thing. American conservative Christians play the same card every time they don't get their way "oh, woe is the persecuted white male Christian........".

I think there's a mildly (I said mildly meaning very mild) justifiable knee jerk reaction given the history of folks being out to get Jewish people in the past. You have to remember, they do see almost anything as a serious threat since they're surrounded by places that don't really want them to exist.

Doesn't go to explain jumping down everybody's throat's though.
Quote Reply
Re: What is an "Anti-semitic slur"? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an old thread resurrected after Trump's recent speech.

(That's what the "crickets" comment above was referring to.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next