Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally made it up Alpe du Zwift [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do, if anything, the opposite. I'm seated for at least the first 10 segments, trying like hell to stay super-steady on watts. Only start getting out of the saddle when I get tired and then, at most for a minute before I have to sit back down.

On the other hand, I'm a lot slower than you so...
Last edited by: JoeO: Jun 2, 19 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Finally made it up Alpe du Zwift [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heading on vacation for ten days during which i'll only be doing some easy fun activities so decided to do a harder day than normal and see how fast i could go up. 46:44 at 298 watts (something like 4.3 w/kg) and i am absolutely wiped. I thought i was going to fall ovr and crap my pants. I finished #1 and thought that was it. There's an unnumbered segment hiding in there!!

Either it was too hot in here or i was more fatigued than i thought because my garmin dropped my estimated Vo2max by 4 points and caled the ride "unproductive." I think if i rest (which i will-- vacation!!) i can safely take that with a grain of salt and this will in fact have been "productive."

what do you all do on vacations? Just sort of turn off, use the opportunity to get some rest, and feel confident that if you have a strong base, you won't really lose that much? Maybe think of it like a mid-summer break?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally made it up Alpe du Zwift [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice ride! Which Garmin you have ? I have the forrunner 35 wrist watch . The v02 on it measures you HR against your real speed from what I under stand.

For example I have nice 10 k easy climb up a gravel road with time of 50 min and HR of 145 or something... my vo2 will be say 55.

Then turn around and crush long easy DH in 37 with HR of 145 vo2 jumps up to 60 (all approximations)

Worse is to set to cycle with outdoor setting and it thinks you going so slow for the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally made it up Alpe du Zwift [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got a Fenix 5 as a birthday present and it does the same kind of thing but with HR vs. power. So if you are spinning easy, indoors in the heat, it'll tell you your vo2max is dropping, when you go and start hammering outside it usually goes up.

Similar basic issues you face :)

that's pretty funny about it jumping up when you crush downhills though
Quote Reply
Re: Finally made it up Alpe du Zwift [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trainer difficulty is basically like digitally giving yourself a ton more gear ratios and gear ranges. If you want to feel what it would really be like to go up the Alp on your tri bike with the gears you have then set it at 100%, otherwise you are sort of just riding up on a mt. bike with crazy low gears. I sort of get why Zwift sets it at 50%... but at the same time I don't simulating hills, shifting, etc with your actual bike means it needs to be 100%. My wife can get up the Alp d' Zwift in the big ring rather quickly (difficulty still at 50%)... she was a little bummed when I told her there is no way on this planet she could ride up the real thing on her tri bike in the big ring. We are slowly moving her to 100% (which is where I keep mine.) I use to argue that 50% didn't make it easier, etc... my coach and I disagreed on this topic and I finally gave in and moved it to 100%.. and my coach was right. Do yourself a favor, if you want to train on Zwift instead of being outside them move the slider to 100%. You will have "your gears" and you will need to shift just like the real world... and 18% will suck even with a 36-28. IF you want to play a game, not simulate what it is like to ride outside, and don't want to shift much then keep it at 50%.

Prev Next