Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM AXS [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just built-up a new Quintana Roo PR3 frameset with Tririg Alpha X cockpit and Omega brakes, SRAM AXS Red derailleurs, and Force AXS crankset/cassette/chain. I’ve only ridden the bike about 3 times, and am still dialing in the fit. I am very happy with it so far.

For background I am a 54 yr old AG athlete doing triathlons for 4 years that is just trying to be competitive and faster. Generally top 25% in my AG in IM events and enjoying the journey. I have ridden shimano mech for ~25 years and have never ridden a bike with electronic shifting. I intended to build the PR3 with Di2, but had several friends who ride etap and swear by it. In the end, despite the higher cost I chose to make the leap to SRAM and go with the latest new tech.

Installation was relatively easy. No instructions came with the components but SRAM has a detailed online library of instructions and videos. I followed those and took my time, when it was finished everything worked perfectly on the test ride.

I went with the 48T/35T crankset and 10-28 cassette. I live in Florida and I feel a 1x with a 48T front and 10-25 or 10-28 would be all I need here. But I like to travel to Central Florida and train in the hills and race courses like IMLOU with some climbing. So for me the 2x setup gives me a nice “all around” set up.

On my Shimano equipped bike, I usually swapped cassettes between the 11-25 (local training in flat terrain) to an 11-28 (training or racing in hills). With the SRAM AXS gearing, my one setup covers the range of both so I don’t have to change cassettes. And it is not at the cost of bigger jumps between gears. With proper chainring selection I most always have a 1 tooth change when I shift.

Unfortunately, I can’t provide any comparison to standard etap or Di2 as I have never ridden anything but shimano mech. But I find the AXS shifting to be precise, crisp and quick. I love the feel of the clicks at the end of the aerobars. I find that I shift more frequently, because it is so effortless.

I have a HED Jet 6 wheelset, one thing to be aware is that it cost an additional $150 to change the freehub to the XDR driver. Make sure the manufacturer for your wheelset has an xdr driver available! Changing the freehub on the HED wheels was amazingly easy. I’m still waiting for Wahoo to come make an XDR driver for the Kickr, but in the meantime I can ride my 11 speed road bike on the trainer.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions about my experience I’ll do my best to answer.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Crash_Davis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details!

Of note with HED in particular is you won’t be able to change free hub body on pre 2014 wheel, that’s when they changed from a 3 pawl to a 5 pawl system. (Does anyone have a generic fix?)

It looks like a great group but problems for larger adoption with SRAM stem from closed ecosystems, or inability to buy individual component parts, my 2c. I am not willing to look at this group from an upgrade perspective....newer build would for sure consider.

Appreciate the detailed response.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: May 19, 19 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So resurrecting this thread and discussion on mismatched AXS setups - particularly for a 1x12 setup.

I see some online retailers are now (or will very soon start) selling individual AXS Force / Red RDs on their own. So one could upgrade to AXS without having to buy a whole group.

I also see that Rotor are now selling 12sp cassettes (e.g. 11-36), that don't require an XDR hub and fit on a standard 11sp Shimano hub. This, paired with a 54T chaining, would give virtually equivalent gearing as Sram's 50 / 10-33, but with theoretically lower friction due to the larger diameter chainring and sprockets. While the Rotor cassettes are very expensive, one can avoid having to change free hubs.

In other words, I could potentially upgrade to Sram 1x12 ASX from my current Etap 1x11 setup buy simply buying:
  • Sram Force / Red AXS RD
  • Blip Box
  • Rotor 12sp cassette 11-36
  • 12 speed chain - probably KMC X12 or Eagle 12sp.

I'm pretty tempted to try this as it would be a relatively cheap way to upgrade to 1x12. My only concerns are:
  • Will the AXS RD handle a 36T cassette? Not sure, but have never had issues running larger cassettes than Sram claims is possible. E.g. on my bike I can run a 32 cassette with the standard Etap RD, which has a claimed max capacity of 28T, without issues.
  • Is Sram and Rotor's cassette spacing the same? Not sure, but should so close that it should work fine.
  • Long term wear - which we'll only know in the, um, long term...

Worst case - it doesn't shift great and then I have to spring for the Sram cassette, chain and chainrings too...
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
So resurrecting this thread and discussion on mismatched AXS setups - particularly for a 1x12 setup.

I see some online retailers are now (or will very soon start) selling individual AXS Force / Red RDs on their own. So one could upgrade to AXS without having to buy a whole group.

I also see that Rotor are now selling 12sp cassettes (e.g. 11-36), that don't require an XDR hub and fit on a standard 11sp Shimano hub. This, paired with a 54T chaining, would give virtually equivalent gearing as Sram's 50 / 10-33, but with theoretically lower friction due to the larger diameter chainring and sprockets. While the Rotor cassettes are very expensive, one can avoid having to change free hubs.

In other words, I could potentially upgrade to Sram 1x12 ASX from my current Etap 1x11 setup buy simply buying:
  • Sram Force / Red AXS RD
  • Blip Box
  • Rotor 12sp cassette 11-36
  • 12 speed chain - probably KMC X12 or Eagle 12sp.

I'm pretty tempted to try this as it would be a relatively cheap way to upgrade to 1x12. My only concerns are:
  • Will the AXS RD handle a 36T cassette? Not sure, but have never had issues running larger cassettes than Sram claims is possible. E.g. on my bike I can run a 32 cassette with the standard Etap RD, which has a claimed max capacity of 28T, without issues.
  • Is Sram and Rotor's cassette spacing the same? Not sure, but should so close that it should work fine.
  • Long term wear - which we'll only know in the, um, long term...

Worst case - it doesn't shift great and then I have to spring for the Sram cassette, chain and chainrings too...

Rotor declared that their 12sp cassettes are compatible with SRAM Eagle including AXS. You can replace Force/Red AXS RD with Eagle AXS RD.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any enterprising 3rd party manufacturers out there producing or thinking of producing 110/130 BCD AXS compatible chainrings yet ? Seems like a lot of people would like to go AXS but with so much invested in cranks and powermeters, compatible chainrings could make a lot of sense
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conceptual query:

I currently run SRAM eTAP 11SP on my TT bike, with a 105 crankset (includes my PM).

On my SystemSix, I have SRAM 12SP AXS.

Could I:
Swap my chainrings on the TT bike to 1X (and keep the 105 crankarms?)
Buy a new AXS blipbox
Buy a 12SP Cassette
Buy an AXS chain

And then move the AXS RD between bikes as needed?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [bigmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigmac wrote:
Any enterprising 3rd party manufacturers out there producing or thinking of producing 110/130 BCD AXS compatible chainrings yet ? Seems like a lot of people would like to go AXS but with so much invested in cranks and powermeters, compatible chainrings could make a lot of sense

i don't know the answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [gloscherrybomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Conceptual query:

I currently run SRAM eTAP 11SP on my TT bike, with a 105 crankset (includes my PM).

Could I:
Buy a new AXS blipbox
Buy a 12SP Cassette
Buy an AXS chain

I don’t see why not. You’d have to make sure the etap blips on your TT are compatible with the AXS blip box

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Conceptual query:

Could I:
Buy a new AXS blipbox
Buy a 12SP Cassette
Buy an AXS chain

I don’t see why not. You’d have to make sure the etap blips on your TT are compatible with the AXS blip box

Blips are the same pre and post axs. The blip box is over ÂŁ300!!! though
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
You are correct and it was off of the front ring lodged between the frame and ring. I was re-watching the finale 20km on the trainer and you could see it. He was trying to pull it out and couldn't. Degenkolb was visibly PISSED. I didn't see Stuyven's incident but Degenkolb mentioned it was the same failure that he had.

In the latest German "Tour" magazin they tested di2 against etap 12 speed with two chainrings.

They had the same issue (chain dropping between small chainring and frame) on numerous set-ups and the problem was always solvable but with a lot of effort by a mechanic of sram.
It appears that the front derailleur is very sensitive to adjustment. The conclusion of "Tour" was desillusioning in that they wrote they left out this problem on purpose drafting the conclusion of the comparison test.

Seems such a problem that I would think twice before buying eTap axs 2* 12*.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few friends who are dissatisfied with this behavior. They are all now running chain guides/catchers (maybe Aerocoach and K-Edge depending on setup?)

It didn't help seeing Bauke Maullema at le Tour caught on camera yelling out "Fucking SRAM" lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next