Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PR at IMAZ to PR (or close to it) at Indian Wells 70.3. How?
Quote | Reply
I watched a number of athletes race Ironman AZ this year with either a lifetime best Ironman time or a course PR. Quite a few of them raced Indian Wells yesterday with the same results. Very very fast 70.3 times.
What am I missing? Granted every athlete is unique in his / her ability to recover, but is 3 weeks enough time to fully recover and be that fast? Pro athletes do it, but how do age groupers with families and full time careers recover that quickly? Given the Indian Wells course was fast and had a short run, but I'm still lost as to how normal people recover so quickly. What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: PR at IMAZ to PR (or close to it) at Indian Wells 70.3. How? [TriMom95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With proper "recovery" post IM, you likely are still in pretty damn good shape post A race for a little while. I think the biggest thing would actually be to not over do it during the "recovery" of the IM. But if you recover properly you'll have decently good fitness carry over.

But I don't think it's necessarily about "recovering quickly" but about being able to hold fitness and solid training plans will give you that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: PR at IMAZ to PR (or close to it) at Indian Wells 70.3. How? [TriMom95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. IMAZ was fast this year nd if people came in super fir, took time off to recover, they can rock up a 70.3 PR on another fast course. I raced Indian Wells yesterday and it was a pretty fast course too.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the run course was short by almost a whole km, maybe a full half mile. For my pace that meant about 4 minutes faster than the pace I was running.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with TriMom. Any IM wrecks me for months regardless of fitness going in. And by wrecked I'm defining as ability to get back to normal training volume/intensity and or decent race fitness. I'm very jealous of others' recovery abilities...

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply