Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x With Sram Hidden Bolt Cranks?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done a 1x with a Standard chainring on the Sram Hidden Bolt cranks. I would like to do a 55t or 56t solid "aero" chainring but don't know if there are Single chain ring bolts w/ the hidden bolt adapter that will work and if there are some other got ya's I haven't thought about.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1x With Sram Hidden Bolt Cranks? [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you're saying you're going to use a non-narrow/wide chainring as 1x? So I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but I ride the sram 54t 1x chainring with hidden bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x With Sram Hidden Bolt Cranks? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on not using a Sram narrow/wide chain ring but instead using a standard single ring like aero coach or fiberlyte.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to do this as long as you can press in the knurled nut that is required to be able to screw in the bolt that goes behind the crank arm. I did this and it was fine, although keep in mind this was with a metal chainring - might not be so straight forward to press the nut in something like a fiberlyte ring.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x With Sram Hidden Bolt Cranks? [CLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CLA wrote:
You should be able to do this as long as you can press in the knurled nut that is required to be able to screw in the bolt that goes behind the crank arm. I did this and it was fine, although keep in mind this was with a metal chainring - might not be so straight forward to press the nut in something like a fiberlyte ring.

I would echo this as it can be done. I have converted many of my SRAM cranks over to 1x, no issues. All new SRAM specific 1x chainrings come with the kit to complete the conversion. Where you might run into issues is if you convert the SRAM RED crank that already has the tab bolt on the backside of the drive-side crank arm. This would require a spacer of some sort as the inner chainring is somewhat of a spacer in a 2x configuration. Only the SRAM RED Quarq version and SRAM spider cranks do not. Can't recall if they, or someone else like Wolftooth, made a kit to convert 2x into 1x on these specific cranks. Hope this helps.

Last edited by: XX29er: Dec 10, 18 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
Has anyone done a 1x with a Standard chainring on the Sram Hidden Bolt cranks. I would like to do a 55t or 56t solid "aero" chainring but don't know if there are Single chain ring bolts w/ the hidden bolt adapter that will work and if there are some other got ya's I haven't thought about.

I have a couple of 1x bikes with a non-Sram ring mounted on a hidden bolt crank. I simply removed the spider, mounted the ring, reinstalled spider. No need to press adapters, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I've done this. You have two options:
  1. Using the old chaining 2x bolts: knock the knurled bolt out of the old chaining (may need to whack it with a hammer) and insert it in the new ring. You will need to get some chainring bolt spacers (as the 8mm 2x ones are too long for 1 chainring); or
  2. Get new 6mm 1x bolts. Use one of these for hidden bolt too (no knurled bolt).

In both cases, if your crank is the Sram Red without a removable spider, you probably wont be able to tighten the hidden bolt to spec (even the knurled bolt in the new chainring may slip). I've found you can tighten it "enough", and as long as the other 4 bolts are tightened to spec, you shouldn't have any issue. I've never had.

If you have a removable spider, remove it to be able to tighten the hidden bolt to spec.
Last edited by: SAvan: Dec 11, 18 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: 1x With Sram Hidden Bolt Cranks? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are planning on buying the AeroCoach chainring, you could add their bolts as well. I did that one mine and worked great, bolts are sitting nice and flush with the chainring: https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ngle-chainring-bolts
Quote Reply