Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running almost exclusively treadmill
Quote | Reply
So due to changes in my domestic situation and a return to work the only way I'll be able to train is on a treadmill or trainer in the morning before work. I know the trainer is no big deal but is it the same for the treadmill? Can you do effective speed workouts when the machine is keeping your pace instead of you? Aside from the boredom what are the issues? I know to keep the grade at 1 or higher...and the treadmill I am buying is the Nordictrack 1750...I can run any google maps course in the world and so I can do hills etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [nugget] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pretty much what I do during the week. My wife and I are both teachers and we get in our workouts before the kids get up each morning on the treadmill or trainer. I try to get my weekend runs done outside of weather allows it. I’ve seen good fitness gains using a treadmill - have had one for a little over three years now.

I do intervals or speedwork once or twice a week. My treadmill can get up to speed pretty quickly, so I can do strides or 1/4 mile repeats pretty easily, similarly to what I’d do at the track. Over the summer I do try to get more runs in outside, but I definitely haven’t seen any adverse consequences of using a treadmill.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know...yeah I will do my long runs outside...45 minutes on a treadmill is all I'm willing to do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sinilar question on my mind after realizing my injury rate is so much higher outdoors vs indoors.

Have found that your quads are less prepared for the eccentric loading when going outdoors after so much treddie running?

Also, do you find that you can keep the same pace indoors vs outdoors (for me, similar to the trainer, my power/pace indoors is lower than outdoors)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the tready 95% of my runs. Its soft enough to be able to manage mileage, but not too soft like grass that causes injury. I feel too beat up if im road running day in day out. I havent noticed a drop in speed over the years, even when i used to run outside all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about when you go to race? Do you feel like your missing stabilizing muscles or your pacing is off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few years back, Michael Wardian won the Tussey Mountainback 50-miler ultra having trained almost entirely on a treadmill.

Article excerpt:
Despite multiple national championships, being named USA Track and Field’s Ultra Runner of the year three years in a row, and qualifying for the Olympic Marathon Trials three times, Wardian is not a full-time runner. The 37-year-old is an international ship broker in Arlington, Va., and does most of his training on a treadmill in his basement while watching his two young children.
“All that climbing in the basement paid off,” he said. “I was running strong on the hills today.”

Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Dec 9, 18 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nugget wrote:
Good to know...yeah I will do my long runs outside...45 minutes on a treadmill is all I'm willing to do!

Don't limit yourself!

The treadmill is an excellent training tool that can be used to do practically any workout imaginable. With a little effort, foresight and creativity, you can arrange workouts that address all aspects and training zones. Spend some time and thought on making your inside treadmill environment nice, cool (fan) and accommodating. Of course, get outside when desirable, but learn to love your treadmill!
Last edited by: Brushman: Dec 9, 18 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you run declines on the treadmill also? Seems like it would help the downhills. Have had calf issues after running exclusively treadmills previously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope not at all. I dont heel strike nor have ever had bad run form fortunately. No injuries over many years except a few mild cases of plantar fasciitis from ramping things up too quickly. The treadmill allows me to bike or run hard the following day. Or even that day. Plus i have two younger kids so its convenience also. When im racing i can keep the same race pace i know i can do, the garmin keeping me in check also. Run tall, quicker leg turnover etc. If i try and hit my training run volume outside on the road its certainly achievable and i used to do it that way. But my legs would often feel beat up for it.
Didnt chrissie wellington do a tonne of run workouts on the treadmill from memory?
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
nugget wrote:

Don't limit yourself!

The treadmill is an excellent training tool that can be used to do practically any workout imaginable. With a little effort, foresight and creativity, you can arrange workouts that address all aspects and training zones. Spend some time and thought on making your inside treadmill environment nice, cool (fan) and accommodating. Of course, get outside when desirable, but learn to love your treadmill!

Its all about being consistent and I find its much easier to be consistent with our indoor bike trainer and treadmill. I have gone 3 hours on a treadmill. Think of it as mental toughness training. After all, this sport rewards mental toughness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can do about 45-50 minutes of z2 on a treadmill before I get bored but I can get up to 90 minutes with intervals. Debating treadmill or outside or my run today...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The perfect quote. Awesome. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the attitude!! I will have fan and all that. I’ll continue to do long ones outside. I live and race in south Florida. Need heat acclimation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tons of threads on treadmill running

I've had athletes do up to 85% of their yearly mileage on the treadmill and that didn't stop them from setting some of the fastest run times of the day...overall.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ran outside in the rain. It was perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point.
Quote Reply
Re: Running almost exclusively treadmill [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a treadmill in my basement when I lived in New England and it was cool enough for the mill to handle intervals.

Now I pretty much only use a treadmill in hotel gyms - it’s not uncommon for them to over heat and kick off on me. Last week the Precor treadmills in the gym couldn’t hold 7 min miles let alone handle intervals. Striders might have been okay. Regardless, it’s not uncommon for them to shut down on me.

I assume it’s a temperature thing and the motor shuts off to protect itself. If I owned one again I would direct a fan at it to help keep the motor cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do almost all of my training on the treadmill with minimal downside. The hardest runs are the long ones lasting 2 to 3 hours at a time because the belt gets, ummm, wet and slippery. Occasionally, I'll plan on a shoe change to minimize slipping. FWIW, I never set the incline unless it is a hill workout. Having it at 1% all of the time shortens my stride too much and feels unnatural. Needing to set an incline all of the time is a myth unless you are running fast and even then I'd encourage you to do what feels right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nugget wrote:
The perfect quote. Awesome. Thanks!

Not quite as good as "Before you challenge me, know your limits, because i have none." or "Knowledge without mileage is bullshit" but it is sufficient

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Nordictrack 1550 and I do almost all of my run training on it. Weather, darkness, timing, logistics, etc tend to force me onto the treadmill. I don't mind it one bit. I have done up to 22 miles on the thing, and have pulled off BQ marathons after doing 90% of my running on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on my experience, the treadmill is good for keeping me run fit, but it's generally a lot easier than running outside. I'd find myself doing certain workouts on the treadmill because it was easier, and then it becoming sort of a crutch. Tempo runs, for example, are a lot easier to do when the treadmill is pushing the gas instead of your willpower.
Quote Reply