Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Tucson
Quote | Reply
Hey all!

I'm moving to Tucson in the new year and had some questions about routes/roads to ride?I have heard of a few places but need some local perspective. I love being out on the road and dont mind bumpy roads over say a path. Where would you recommend? How about for swimming? I cannot wait to swim outside.

And running trails other than maybe the loop?

Thanks a lot!
I'd love to meet up with anyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many options. Tons of posts here on ST with suggestions, a search will prove fruitful.

Depends a bit on where you'll live, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're the Corey I met via Heath in AVL shoot me an email.

As James said the options are many and the roads are bumpy

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the move!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Tucson!

It depends where you will live and whether you want to ride out your front door or drive to a place to ride. Many great options and great weather all year round. Plenty of tri clubs/groups in town also.

For swimming, best is the U of A rec center at Highland/6th if you will be in town. Great opening hours and it is CLEAN! $5 to pop in with a punch pass (or $10 one time, open to public).
Oro Valley Aquatic center is great if you will be on the NW side, I don’t know their hours or public availability.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Will be living off Speedway . So I think the U of A sounds great!
I'd like to leave out the door and hit the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Sure is gonna be one heck of a weather change!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet if you look at the strava or suunto heatmaps you'll be able to see what the popular routes are.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid idea! Forgot about that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Thanks!
Will be living off Speedway . So I think the U of A sounds great!
I'd like to leave out the door and hit the road.

Speedway is probably about 20 miles long, so depending on where you are on Speedway UofA might or might not be the most accessible. UA also has two pools: the rec center (what DrTK means) where drop in is easy and if you are affiliated in some way (for example, with a member) it's $300/year. Don't think I've ever come across a nicer facility that was more cost effective. The only problem can be dealing with all the bros if you want to lift weights while school is in session.

The main ways to head north/south in Tucson are (depending on where you live on Speedway, west to east): Mountain Ave, Tucson Blvd, Treat Ave, Dodge Blvd, Alvernon Way, Craycroft.

From those N/S streets you can get pretty much anywhere you wanna go. Your main east/west thoroughfares are going to be Speedway (but it's busy and don't go further west than ~Park or Euclid on it, you'll regret it), Pima St (recently repaved), the Rillito River Path, Sunrise/Ina/Skyline, Broadway (busy), Aviation Bikeway.

From those E/W streets you can get anywhere you want. We used to live on west side of town in Starr Pass but recently moved more "mid town" and while getting to where you want to ride involves 15-30mins of in town riding it's better to have access to all the riding. The trails you'll hear most about are Starr Pass/Robles (in Tucson Mountain Park), Sweetwater (west side), Fantasy Island (east side), Honeybee (north side), Catalina State Park (north side), AZT (east side), Mt. Lemmon trail system (if you're riding this you need a big bike, but lots of people run/hike these trails), Urban Assault trail (middle of town).
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 10, 18 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude!
Thanks for the sweet hookup. I'll be off dodge. So about 3 miles from the U. I'm sure this stuff will make more sense when I finally can get orientated with the roads and there names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great location. You will be very close to Catalina high school, which has a City of Tucson pool as well, for an alternative.

3rd street bike route is safe East-West route for commuting.

Pima street is your best bet riding out East for training, you can take it all the way to Wilmot/Tanque verde and then head towards Catalina highway/Mt. Lemmon. Or take Dodge North all the way to The Loop and ride for miles without getting hit by cars!

There are group rides from campus in various directions as well.

Also, you will be close to MetroGnome music (a local folding bike and music store) on Speedway if you are interested in fun group rides to the coffee shop etc.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet.

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad someone thinks it's a solid location. I will definitely plan on using the streets to get out of town more to hit the larger routes without too many stops. And any idea how much the Catalina pool is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Sweet.

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad someone thinks it's a solid location. I will definitely plan on using the streets to get out of town more to hit the larger routes without too many stops. And any idea how much the Catalina pool is?

Tucson is the cheapest place I have lived. I think the drop-in fee was $1.5 or $2 when I left and like a $100 for the year. The options in Tucson are endless. Great place to live and train.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the input. Everyone keeps saying it's a great place to have a training and living balance that is affordable. I look forward to hopefully improving with some rips on the roads! And thanks for the info about the pool too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went out by the airport yesterday and it was alright. I want to head out by gates pass, if that's what it's called? And east where less cars are but still looking out for climbing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Tucson [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didnt do the loop but I went to the pass. Fun stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are riding Sunday if you're interested

lmk