Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone here questions whether it's a good tool for time crunched athletes or those without an easily accessible pool...We're all saying that even at $2k it's too much to justify the benefit over just going to the pool. FWIW I'd LOVE a Vasa - I routinely search on ebay and craigslist for a used one.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s about 15%, not 5.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
I don't think anyone here questions whether it's a good tool for time crunched athletes or those without an easily accessible pool...We're all saying that even at $2k it's too much to justify the benefit over just going to the pool. FWIW I'd LOVE a Vasa - I routinely search on ebay and craigslist for a used one.

I bought my Vasa in Europe where it is 30% more expensive than in the USA and as I (and my partner who is also a frequent Vasa user) said before, the only thing I regret is that I didn't get it earlier.
Even if I would have easy access to a real pool (which I don't), I still would do a decent amount of my workouts on the Vasa. I believe pool and Vasa are very complementary.
By using Vasa only, I can maintain my swimming level without spending time in water.
By combining both, I hope to get a bit faster.
2K is not cheap but compared to other triathlon related gadgets it is a great investment and it lasts forever.
Also, Rob's team is providing lots of video's and instruction to help you to get the best out of the product.
For all clarity: I have zero affiliation with Vasa. I just like the product and had very positive interactions with Rob Sleamaker and his staff.
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ordered mine. been impatiently waiting for this deal. i was hoping for a better deal really, but even at full price this thing is awesome.

i ordered one for my remote location work gym a while back. no access to a pool there and i was shocked at how much of a workout you get. it’s a good focused swim workout, not trying to do weights that hit the muscle groups.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Dec 18, 18 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Frustrates me to no end to see two really good products that can't optimize their business models (Computrainer was another one and we see where they ended up).
Looks like Vasa has been doing just fine with their business model. Computrainer was disrupted by KICKR etc., and it doesn't look like Concept 2 has any interest in crossing over from row/ski to swim.

Sounds like it's still a long wait for a fire sale (or any sale) on the Vasa trainers. Maybe they're doing something right?
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one thing i think that is lacking from vasa currently is structured workouts.

i contacted them directly (web chat) and spoke with a rep. she informed me they will be rolling out some good stuff at the start of the year. she didn’t have a lot of details unfortunately.

i noticed they elude to training plans on training peaks on one of their sites pages. there isn’t anything on training peaks right now, i’m assuming that’s what is upcoming.

Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:

All I can say is keep at it. I've seen em on ebay in the 1100-1300 range. I did get lucky and found a VASA Erg with ANT+ for 750 about 90 miles away. Couldn't pass that up.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,

Vasa will release a 12-week swim training plan in January. It will become available in 2 forms: one as a pdf download from the VasaTrainer dot com website (not "structured" so to speak, but with plenty of guidance) and one that will be "structured" workouts offered on Training Peaks. It was an oversight to mention that it was available now. Sorry for the confusion.

Some of our beta testers have already enjoyed the structured workouts as uploaded to TrainerRoad and Rouvy. Vasa SwimErg users will need to have our ANT+ Power Meter and the right receiving connections to make it work. They will be guided to estimate their swimming FTP using some time trial tests on the Vasa SwimErg. The workouts are high quality and they progress sensibly over the 12 weeks. There are guidelines for making adjustments to the plan based on your fitness level, goal race distances, and for extending the plan toward target race dates.

Thanks for your patience and support!
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Rob Sleamaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rouvy??

that’s very interesting. i’m looking forward to the training plan.

Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger,

Your point of view is completely valid. Decision making about which training tools to use depends on the individual's circumstances and knowledge of how to achieve quality training. It's a question of Importance and Viability, which only you (and your coach) are qualified to answer.

Regarding stretch cords versus a training with a Vasa SwimErg - both have value. However, it's truly an "apples and oranges" comparison, as coach Al Lyman explains in this video: https://vasatrainer.com/...etch-cords-or-bands/

Our philosophy at Vasa is "Quality Costs Less" - which is to say you get what you pay for. We design and build our products to last a lifetime and to provide high quality functionality that delivers the results our customers are seeking, often saving them precious time and money over the long haul. If you have not done a cost analysis, consider running the numbers using our Cost Calculator tool mentioned in this blog article:
https://vasatrainer.com/blog/how-to-calculate-the-time-and-cost-savings-of-the-vasa-swimerg/

Every athlete's needs are different. We're available to provide information that allows you to make the best decision for your current and long term circumstances and goals. If the best choice for you is to use stretch cords, then we actually make some great tools to support that, namely our folding Sport Bench ($400) and Power Paddles, both of which will make using stretch tubing more effective.
https://vasatrainer.com/product/vasa-sport-bench/

Thank you and happy trails!
Rob Sleamaker
Founder and CEO
Vasa, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22

Thank you for offering your perspective. I'd be happy to explain our reasoning for our pricing by phone call anytime. More important, I welcome your input, as it would be fantastic for Vasa to find a way to achieve what you are suggesting. We do have a lot in the works toward that goal, and that is proprietary. If you wish to contact me, please send an email to: robert@vasatrainer.com or call me at 802-872-7101 weekdays Vermont time.

Below is a response I provided to another on this thread, so I cut and pasted here for you in hopes it is useful to you:

Our philosophy at Vasa is "Quality Costs Less" - which is to say you get what you pay for. We design and build our products to last a lifetime and to provide high quality functionality that delivers the results our customers are seeking, often saving them precious time and money over the long haul. If you have not done a cost analysis, consider running the numbers using our Cost Calculator tool mentioned in this blog article:
https://vasatrainer.com/blog/how-to-calculate-the-time-and-cost-savings-of-the-vasa-swimerg/

Every athlete's needs are different. We're available to provide information that allows you to make the best decision for your current and long term circumstances and goals. If the best choice for you is to use stretch cords, then we actually make some great tools to support that, namely our folding Sport Bench ($400) and Power Paddles, both of which will make using stretch tubing more effective.

Rob Sleamaker
Founder and CEO
Vasa, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Rob Sleamaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Sleamaker wrote:
ggeiger,

Your point of view is completely valid. Decision making about which training tools to use depends on the individual's circumstances and knowledge of how to achieve quality training. It's a question of Importance and Viability, which only you (and your coach) are qualified to answer.

Regarding stretch cords versus a training with a Vasa SwimErg - both have value. However, it's truly an "apples and oranges" comparison, as coach Al Lyman explains in this video: https://vasatrainer.com/...etch-cords-or-bands/

Rob Sleamaker
Founder and CEO
Vasa, Inc.

Thanks for the reply. Having used some non-erg machines through the years as well as stretch cords, I tend to think that there still is no substitute for actual swimming, which I am sure you agree. There is a rotational aspect of actual swimming that no trainer is able to simulate to my knowledge, and gaining a feel for the water is one of the most important aspects of swimming. Fast swimmers do not stay flat in the water so that is one shortcoming. In that regard I could only see this being effective as a time crunched substitute, similar to using an elliptical machine for run training.
I have no doubt as to the quality of your machine, and I would love one for those time crunched times. Having been a swimmer for over 60 years I'm afraid I don't have enough years left to justify that price. Best of luck with your efforts....
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Rob Sleamaker wrote:
ggeiger,

Rob Sleamaker
Founder and CEO
Vasa, Inc.

Thanks for the reply. Having used some non-erg machines through the years as well as stretch cords, I tend to think that there still is no substitute for actual swimming, which I am sure you agree. There is a rotational aspect of actual swimming that no trainer is able to simulate to my knowledge, and gaining a feel for the water is one of the most important aspects of swimming. Fast swimmers do not stay flat in the water so that is one shortcoming. In that regard I could only see this being effective as a time crunched substitute, similar to using an elliptical machine for run training.
I have no doubt as to the quality of your machine, and I would love one for those time crunched times. Having been a swimmer for over 60 years I'm afraid I don't have enough years left to justify that price. Best of luck with your efforts....

As I have converted to full time swimmer and part time multi sporter, I only have a need for something like a Vasa to make my swimming better than water only training (I am swimming 100K per month). I THINK that given that the vasa lacks the rotational aspect, it CAN help me improve my breast stroke and fly, especially fly because it is not possible to do enough fly without the aerobic distress given the massive oxygen demand from the core and legs. With the vasa I should be able to isolate my butterfly catch, pull and finish and do a lot of it harder without oxygen demand from my core and legs....to some degree like free pull sets where you remove the oxygen demand from core and legs with a buoy so you can work the arms harder since thtey are the only things needing oxygen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
ordered mine. been impatiently waiting for this deal. i was hoping for a better deal really, but even at full price this thing is awesome.
What did the Slowtwitch Vasa package eventually include? Some email alluded to "some extra goodies"; what did those end up being?
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A ball cap, swim cap, and the deluxe power cord kit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
A ball cap, swim cap, and the deluxe power cord kit.
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply

Prev Next