Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones?
Quote | Reply
I know ideally we want to use the athletes exact bar set up on the fit bike in order to dial in the exact position, but if I were to get a base bar and extensions to have for generic fitting which bar set up do you use?
I am thinking something like the Profile T2 Wing for the base bar then maybe Profile T5 extensions with a couple of bend options?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest the Profile Design supersonic bracket (formerly known as the J5). The ICC wedge means that you can switch out extensions quickly and easily.
Ergo armrest is the default, Boom if you need an extra wide position. Race for the lean of arm who like to be locked in place.
The 3 current generation extensions (50a, 35a, 4525a) cover a good range of hand position options. You could look at having a T5 and a Zipp Evo 70 for different hand positions.

The Sonic bracket is a lot cheaper, but it's not as easy to switch the extensions which could be a pain in a fit.
The old J4 bracket is far more limited in adjustment range.

Note - I designed quite a bit of the above mentioned PD product so I may be biased. However - my goal was to make it easy to fit people so the fit range of new generation PD product is pretty comprehensive.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have the Supersonic brackets on an alloy base bar, and simply swap pads and extensions at will. Dozens of different pads and 22.2 extensions. Doesn't much matter if the holes line up perfectly for the pads as you only need one each to secure them. I can replicate pretty much any pad x/y setup from a client's bike.

The only thing I have to keep in mind is the base bar width and reach will not be correct identical.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports

"It's not about longer, or lower, or tilted, or not tilted. It's about getting smaller. Let the wind see as little of you as possible in the best way you can."

Aero Tidbits posted on Instagram & Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
I know ideally we want to use the athletes exact bar set up on the fit bike in order to dial in the exact position, but if I were to get a base bar and extensions to have for generic fitting which bar set up do you use?
I am thinking something like the Profile T2 Wing for the base bar then maybe Profile T5 extensions with a couple of bend options?

cyclenutnz nailed it. not only are these great bars for fitting, always comfortable, vastly adjustable, they're what's going to be showing up on a lot of bikes OE, so, you won't have to do the math to normalize between the bar you're using the bar(s) that come on the bike(s) you're prescribing for customers. that said, i'd have a subsonic bar as well, because the obvious bar that will get retrofit onto a bike you can't otherwise get low enough is this bar, and there are a lot of canyons that will get sold that have this bar OE (just with an Ergo armrest). so, those are your go-to bars, each mounted on any cheapo pursuit bar.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all true about the PD bars, although I do have a Vision trimax setup and a Zipp Vuka setup. Otherwise as Jim said replicating X/Y is easy.

The major exceptions include fitting for bikes that have limited adjustability, ie, Cervelo P5, I'll set the pad width accordingly to what is allowable.

Only if completely changing front end of bike does the preference of 'this' pad vs the other pad come up, or if an extension shape is unique to a brand.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for the responses. To start with I ordered a set of the Sonic Ergo 35A bars, clamp etc and a set of T2+ extensions. Then will continue to add additional extensions to the inventory as I go. Much appreciated for the feedback.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'd have a subsonic bar as well, because the obvious bar that will get retrofit onto a bike you can't otherwise get low enough is this bar,

If you're fitting on a fit bike you don't really need the subsonic unless you hit the bottom limit of the Y adjustment. The X options for subsonic are same as Supersonic and Z very similar, so you go through your fit and then allow for the ~19mm stack reduction of the subsonic if you're hitting limits of the desired frame.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'd have a subsonic bar as well, because the obvious bar that will get retrofit onto a bike you can't otherwise get low enough is this bar,


If you're fitting on a fit bike you don't really need the subsonic unless you hit the bottom limit of the Y adjustment. The X options for subsonic are same as Supersonic and Z very similar, so you go through your fit and then allow for the ~19mm stack reduction of the subsonic if you're hitting limits of the desired frame.

of course that's true. if your fit bike doesn't adjust low enough to hit what you need to hit, the fault is in the bike not the bars.

that said, from a retail perspective, i think it's always nice to demo the ergonomics of the actual bar you'll be riding. hence having that bar available for a fit bike demo. but then, that assumes you'll need the subsonic, which you won't know until the fit is over. unless you're pretty sure you'll need it before the fit starts, because of the nature of the customer and his problem. or, if that bar is what's coming OE on the bike the user aspires to purchase (such as the Canyon).

however, on simply a math level, yes, you're of course right.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about the maths!

Ergonomics of all the new range PD bars very similar so using specific bars is mostly so the rider can grasp the aesthetic.
I use Aeria Ultimate for fitting (only because it was an unrideable sample that I would otherwise have had to bin) so it's very rare to have the same bar on the final bike.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
all true about the PD bars, although I do have a Vision trimax setup and a Zipp Vuka setup. Otherwise as Jim said replicating X/Y is easy.

The major exceptions include fitting for bikes that have limited adjustability, ie, Cervelo P5, I'll set the pad width accordingly to what is allowable.

Only if completely changing front end of bike does the preference of 'this' pad vs the other pad come up, or if an extension shape is unique to a brand.

Yeah, I got lucky and have an Arduro from Slipstream for fitting P5's back when they were on Cervelo's. I certainly wouldn't pay for one but, hey, if you're going to give me one, I'll take it. Mostly you can use it to show the client just how little adjustment there is to that bike. Lol.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports

"It's not about longer, or lower, or tilted, or not tilted. It's about getting smaller. Let the wind see as little of you as possible in the best way you can."

Aero Tidbits posted on Instagram & Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings Mike, I use a set of zipp Vuka bars with my Retul Muve SL work great, several pad stackers available also.

Robert Driskell
Certified Master Retul Fit Technician
Bayou Bicycles New Orleans,LA
(Retailer of Specialized Bicycles)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bars for Fit Bike, which ones? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a setup that mirrors what I'm probably going to *want* my client to use, not what they already have or what they might want. Mine is a Zipp setup with ski bends, but the extensions can be swapped out pretty quickly if needed, which is rarely.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 10, 19 4:47
Quote Reply