Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Update - My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty?
Quote | Reply
Yesterday my mechanic noticed a hairline crack in my 2009 Litespeed Saber. I love the bike but it is now unsafe to ride. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty?

UPDATE.

Okay, here is what happened.

Within 24 hours of submitting my claim, I spoke with with someone with Litespeed and was told that they would fix my frame under the “lifetime” warranty. In the alternative, I was told they would sell me a new Quintana Roo PR6 at a good price. I opted for that and Sam with Quintana Roo sold me a sweet new PR6 for half MSRP (MSRP was $5,200). Not only that, but they brought the bike with them to Haines City (were they are working Ironman Florida) and Dave with Quintana Roo adjusted the bike to my liking.

All and all, I am tremendously satisfied with my experience (although I do miss my tritanium Saber).

A big thank you to Sam, Dave, and the good folks at Litespeed/QR.
Last edited by: imsparticus: Nov 2, 18 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should give you a new frame.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will tell you that 'lifetime' means the 'lifetime' of the frame, which is not forever, nor for as long as you are alive (assuming you are the original owner).

In their book, 'lifetime' of the frame is until it fails. ;-) They will tell you a 10 year old frame is past it's 'lifetime'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cracked mine in the same place many years ago...at the time they didn't have a TT frame and gave me a CDO.1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same experience, but they could not repair or replace, as they no longer made the ti aero tubing. They offered alternatives, which I can’t remember at this time.

But I loved that frame so much that I decided to have it repaired (ABG would not do a spot-fix). It took a while to find someone, but Bilenski (sp?) cycles did the repair, and it rides strong to this day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 which Litespeed entity gave you the warranty? If it’s the one that went bankrupt, you are probably SOL.

Bilenky in Philly (as the poster above mentioned) may be a good shop for repair

You could also contact Lynskey, whom i believe still do aero Ti tubings (though not the exact one you have)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Litespeed is notorious for denying warranties. A simple google search will tell you all you need to know.

There are two versions of lifetime warranties. There's one where you're covered so long as you own the item (i.e., for the rest of your life). Then there's the other version; The manufacturer arbitrarily and ambiguously determines what 'lifetime' means.

Litespeed clearly operates with the ambiguously determined version of 'lifetime'. I think it's a shitty customer service strategy.

Useful Product Life Cycle

"Every Litespeed frameset has a useful life cycle. This useful life cycle is not the same as the warranty period.This warranty is not meant to suggest or imply that the frame cannot be broken or will last forever. Bicycles and/or frames will not last forever. The length of the useful life cycle will vary depending on the type of frame, riding conditions and care the bicycle receives.Competition, jumping, downhill racing, trick riding, trial riding, riding in severe conditions or climates, riding with heavy loads or any other non-standard use can substantially shorten the useful product life cycle of a Litespeed frameset. Any one or a combination of these conditions may result in an unpredictable failure of a Litespeed frameset that would not be covered by this warranty.All Litespeed framesets should be periodically checked by an authorized Litespeed dealer for indications of potential failures including cracks, corrosion, dents, deformation, paint peeling and any other indications of potential problems, inappropriate use or abuse. These are important safety checks and very important to help prevent accidents, bodily injury to the rider and shortened useful product life cycle of a Litespeed frameset."

Could you use the above to make sense of what the useful product life cycle of a TT frame is? I can't.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems that “competition” would be a non-standard use of their frame under those provisions.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I guess triathletes are super rough on their frames during competition.

That's all the justification they need to effectively weasel out of their lifetime warranty (unfortunately, that's not in pink font).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Yesterday my mechanic noticed a hairline crack in my 2009 Litespeed Saber. I love the bike but it is now unsafe to ride. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty?

I sent my 2004 Ultimate in a few years ago for a refinish and new decals. They found a crack in the head tube. Since they no longer made head tubes for internal headsets, they replaced it for free with standard head tube. I had a Chris King headset in the parts bin, so no extra cost.

I did have to prove I was the original owner. I hadn't registered it and didn't have the receipt. The shop where I purchased the bike had the documentation.

hth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be one of the lucky ones, albeit 5 years ago.

In 2005 my 2003 -ish Ti Saber seatpost developed a crack, they replaced with a 2005 frame.

In 2013 I sold that frame but the buyer found hairline cracks at the BB. Returned it to American Bicycle Group and they repaired it under warranty. Eventually sold that frame

I was dealing with ABL in TN
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up breaking 2 QR ti frame and then a Litespeed Saber frame. Something to do with cheap Ti being used in the Chinese factories?. I ended up with a QR carbon frame.
Last edited by: Chuckie M: Nov 3, 18 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unlikely.

repair it or make it a trainer bike.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie M wrote:
I ended up breaking 2 QR ti frame and then a Litespeed Saber frame. Something to do with cheap Ti being using in the Chinese factories?. I ended up with a QR carbon frame.

I’m on a TM02. I was surprised to crack two Ti frames.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The folks at Litespeed have been great so far. Within 24 hours of submitting my claim they offered to either repair the Saber or sell me a new QR PRSix at a greatly reduced price. They will even deliver the bike to IM Haines City, if I want. Can’t ask for more.

What would you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assume the sabers been what you are riding. I’d go with that for an IM on a few weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knew a plastic surgeon once who offered a "lifetime guarantee" yours or his. With all the corporate shuffle over there who knows what they will say? Me thinks you got a lot of life out of that frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
The folks at Litespeed have been great so far. Within 24 hours of submitting my claim they offered to either repair the Saber or sell me a new QR PRSix at a greatly reduced price. They will even deliver the bike to IM Haines City, if I want. Can’t ask for more.

What would you do?

If you plan to primarily use this bike to race triathlons, I'd definitely go the PRSix route. The Saber was/is a super cool bike, but can't touch the speed of the PRSix for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan on riding it anytime I ride, not just racing. I don’t ride in groups (no drafting) and all of my riding is done on a trail closed to vehicular traffic.

I will be interested to see if it is actually faster. I never thought I was giving up much riding my Saber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from a 2006 Felt S32 to a PRsix. I felt a big difference in speed. The Saber maybe a little slicker than my old bike. Take it for what its worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a crack from stress/fatigue due to repetitive torsion on the BB. Kind of like your average overtrained Kona competitor :)

The metal in that area is done but I employed a carbon fibre fix on a cracked automotive wheel that could work here.

To do that you would drill a lot of small holes to perforate the cracked plate, then grind the area to clean & create mechanical grip. The next step is to layup a carbon patch with several layers of twill, then soak in high strength epoxy. Sand to finish a clear coat.

Just sayin' - if you didn't have to turn the frame in it could be back on the road as an occasional commuter.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PR6, for sure
Quote Reply
Re: My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [raulmf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so positive on the PRsix? I hope you’re right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update.

Within 24 hours of submitting my claim, I spoke with with someone with Litespeed and was told that they would fix my frame under the “lifetime” warranty. In the alternative, I was told they would sell me a new Quintana Roo PR6 at a good price. I opted for that and Sam with Quintana Roo sold me a sweet new PR6 for half MSRP (MSRP was $5,200). Not only that, but they brought the bike with them to Haines City (were they are working Ironman Florida) and Dave with Quintana Roo adjusted the bike to my liking.

All and all, I am tremendously satisfied with my experience (although I do miss my tritanium Saber).

A big thank you to Sam, Dave, and the good folks at Litespeed/QR.
Quote Reply
Re: Update - My titanium Litespeed Saber has a crack. What can I expect from Litespeed with regard to my lifetime warranty? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing and kudos to them for this resolution. Now we need pics of your new rig!
Quote Reply