Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scuba diving ... GoPro videos and photos as best as I can get them. I'm finally over the cough that came from my ear and sinus infection from Cozumel and PDC. Hoping to get my Advanced cert before the end of the year and over the 100 dive mark.

Learning to sail. Hoping to get my ASA101 before the end of the year.

My last Wet Wednesday race was this past week, and had a club cup race on the weekend. Lots of fun this spring and summer.

Now that my Wednesday evenings are open, I'm looking for something. Hard to find affordable group cooking classes in the area.

Looking to do more day hiking, camping, and hopefully backpacking as the dog gets near and past the 1 year mark.

As if I don't have enough other things -- drones, motorcycles, SUP, shooting -- to take up my time and money beyond the stuff above, I am now also starting to build a 120 gallon reef aquarium. Only getting into this because a friend of ours has his own coral business and has all the know-how. Pretty excited to get it going!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a triathalon?

For me it's golf and hockey, been playing both since I was a kid and still love to mess around in mens leagues. I like doing projects around the house, right now I'm building an under-deck shed - we have a 2nd story deck so I've leveled the ground below and laid down crushed stone, put in a retaining wall, and I'm currently waterproofing with roofing material and gutters then adding lattice around the perimeter. I still love to swim and bike, kayaking is awesome, hiking, general stuff like that to get outdoors. I've always loved to paint, long-term I want to have a paint studio and sell art as a side hobby/business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My moniker is my other sport hobby which I have played for almost 39 years(Cycling for 34). Outside of that, Chess(40 years), Guitar(44 years), Photography(38 years)and High-End Audio(28 years-think amplifiers that cost $200k or speaker cables that go for $30 grand). For some reason, I've never done each all in the same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly-fishing and training my dogs for hunt test/ field trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horseback riding, polo (although it is definitely a sport). I also volunteer at an equestrian therapy non-profit. I love working with my dog, but I've been a bit lax on the training since we left California, but she still has some pretty impressive obedience skills. I dabble in quilting. We're currently hosting an Italian exchange student and I'm enjoying teaching her to cook, although she already knows how to make tasty pizza and tiramisu.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading & sailing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hung up the racing flats several years ago (but my humble brag is that I was a sub-10-hour guy at the IM distance... though I could only manage a 10:12 at IMH, because that race kicked my okole for some reason).

Lots of hobbies. My favorites are:

Music (listening and playing)

Marksmanship (guns, baby ;-)

Resto-modding old Detroit iron (what I'm working on now)

You like houses. I like cars. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine is an incredible wood worker but started a cabintry shop as there is way more money in it. Last year he dumped a million bucks in to his shop in the form of a giant new CNC, some Sanders, etc. His only regret was not doing it sooner.

A couple of years ago he had maybe 12 guys working in the shop building everything by hand, and 3 installers.

His goal is to more or less reverse that: have 3 guys on computers programming everything, spitting out a few kitchens a day, and 12 installers.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scale model building and photography

Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How in the hell do you reconcile having a double kick drum AND a wind chime on your kit? You're one set of roto-toms away from being a Neil Peart wannabe.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cars and photography.

I've got two Subaru's (well one is the wifey's that we use mostly for camping, off-roading, and general adventuring, the other is my very newly in progress street build).

Photography I've always been a Canon guy, and still am, but aside from for my cars and portraits, I've been practicing a lot with my DJI Mavic Pro.

This is my last work from the Oregon Coast, and then some random Forester shots :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/telljoc4mtpv11z/AAAndyNn-ul8vCwMyQ6aLWjQa?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dlh63hr37qbilyu/AABS6jeYbKiWF-7JWF13FmuFa?dl=0
Last edited by: Koala Bear: Sep 25, 18 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masturbation, sex, drinking, and more masturbation.

Although, sometimes any of them could be considered related to sports based on heart rate, calories burned, and physical exhaustion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
How in the hell do you reconcile having a double kick drum AND a wind chime on your kit? You're one set of roto-toms away from being a Neil Peart wannabe.

I can play "Subdivisions" note-for-note and lick-for-lick, big dog. ;-)

And I had a set of roto-tom cannons back in the day. Not proud to admit it, but there it is. Hahahahaha!

Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Masturbation, sex, drinking, and more masturbation.

Although, sometimes any of them could be considered related to sports based on heart rate, calories burned, and physical exhaustion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the way you think! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that BTR you did. Got a few not-so-fond memories of that thing (the -60) and the BMP, from back in the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are...exquisite.

Wow.

I went through an addictive modeling phase when I was younger and then, my son got hooked. He set up a desk in his walk-in closet and turned it into a model airplane factory. His ceiling is COVERED with them hanging from hooks. Now, he is in flight school full time in Florida and my wife and I are in a quandry as to what to do with them.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flying airplanes, powered and gliders. I used to compete in gliders at a national level, but now, it's strictly for pleasure and qualifies as a non-sporting activity.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Love that BTR you did. Got a few not-so-fond memories of that thing (the -60) and the BMP, from back in the day.

A good RPG style missile can deal with them. Been on a receiving end of similar style vehicles in Croatia. Care to share your memories?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't even know this Lavender Room existed. And I can't believe no one has mentioned poker!

I myself spend time playing online (micro-stakes) and live ($1/2 no limit, $4/8 limit, and a few small buy-in tourneys). I'm ahead overall with online, but probably break-even or even a net-loser with live, but that's probably because I don't put in that many hours with live poker (or maybe I just suck). I do plan on playing some higher buy-in live tournaments next year. Maybe not WSOP (maybe a Circuit event); probably more like the Venetian DeepStack Extravaganza.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

A good RPG style missile can deal with them. Been on a receiving end of similar style vehicles in Croatia. Care to share your memories?

There were BTR-60s running counterattacks at various locations in Grenada, including over at the governor's mansion. Spectres and AHs took a stab at them but couldn't get at them because they had good cover and there weren't enough infantry troops and tanks (M60s) along with AAVs to go get them. Plus, no M-72 LAWS weapons available at the time. They proved to be harder to dig out than was initially thought they would be, in other words. So the job got done the next day, although crews in a couple of them saw what was going to happen to them and bailed. Still, resistance was stiffer than we thought it would be, at least initially.

I agree with you about RPG-type weapons. Wish they'd been handy. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: What hobby besides triathlon do you have? [THRILLHO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
I didn't even know this Lavender Room existed. And I can't believe no one has mentioned poker!

I myself spend time playing online (micro-stakes) and live ($1/2 no limit, $4/8 limit, and a few small buy-in tourneys). I'm ahead overall with online, but probably break-even or even a net-loser with live, but that's probably because I don't put in that many hours with live poker (or maybe I just suck). I do plan on playing some higher buy-in live tournaments next year. Maybe not WSOP (maybe a Circuit event); probably more like the Venetian DeepStack Extravaganza.

I think Mr. Monty is a tournament poker player, IIRC. We always had a decent poker game running when we were deployed aboard ship, on a "pump." It would always start out nickel/dime/quarter but, eventually, there'd be some bumping and such and next thing you know, you're looking at $1,500 or more sitting in the pot and... sphincter tightening time! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:

I think Mr. Monty is a tournament poker player, IIRC. We always had a decent poker game running when we were deployed aboard ship, on a "pump." It would always start out nickel/dime/quarter but, eventually, there'd be some bumping and such and next thing you know, you're looking at $1,500 or more sitting in the pot and... sphincter tightening time! ;-)

It's crazy how the pot builds up so much. I think the highest pot I've been involved in was about $500, and that was in a game called "Between the Sheets" (where you deal two cards out, and bet if you think the next card will fall in between, like dealing a 2 and a Jack, and betting that the next card is a 3 thru 10).

I recently moved to Vegas from Chicago this past summer. I'm definitely not training for any big races like I used to (too hot and no awesome Lakefront). So that spare time and money I would use for a race can now be used for a few tourneys here and there. But I do like online a little better because there's usually always a game running, and you can find cheaper buy-ins. For me, it's a hobby, so I'm not worried about making a big score (online at least).

I was deployed in 2003, and we took a ship for 34 days. All we did was play Hearts and Spades, even Spades tournaments (where me and my partner came in second out of about 20 teams). This was all before Moneymaker won the Main Event btw. Then we deploy a second time in 2004 (not on a ship this time), and all we played was poker (Texas Hold 'Em). I had played poker before joining the Marines, but not Texas Hold Em. I was used to 7-card Stud. One good thing about Vegas, there are actually some live Stud games, so one day I might go try those even though it's been a long while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:

It's crazy how the pot builds up so much. I think the highest pot I've been involved in was about $500, and that was in a game called "Between the Sheets" (where you deal two cards out, and bet if you think the next card will fall in between, like dealing a 2 and a Jack, and betting that the next card is a 3 thru 10).

I recently moved to Vegas from Chicago this past summer. I'm definitely not training for any big races like I used to (too hot and no awesome Lakefront). So that spare time and money I would use for a race can now be used for a few tourneys here and there. But I do like online a little better because there's usually always a game running, and you can find cheaper buy-ins. For me, it's a hobby, so I'm not worried about making a big score (online at least).

I was deployed in 2003, and we took a ship for 34 days. All we did was play Hearts and Spades, even Spades tournaments (where me and my partner came in second out of about 20 teams). This was all before Moneymaker won the Main Event btw. Then we deploy a second time in 2004 (not on a ship this time), and all we played was poker (Texas Hold 'Em). I had played poker before joining the Marines, but not Texas Hold Em. I was used to 7-card Stud. One good thing about Vegas, there are actually some live Stud games, so one day I might go try those even though it's been a long while.

Hahahahahaha! What is it with Spades and Marines? I can remember being in medical battalion in garrison and us doing nothing but playing spades with the Marines from the H&S company and the S-3 and S-4 shops. If they weren't working or doing PT they had Spades games going. Me and a Top (a Samoan named Junior Talauega) were Spades partners. He was what I'd call a "fierce competitor," and that's putting it mildly. ;-)

Thanks for your service to our great nation, sir. Good luck in Vegas. The wife and I have talked for years about finding some warm weather (much warmer than Michigan) place to retire to, like Lost Wages... I mean, Las Vegas, if we don't end up back in Hawaii for our golden years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yeah, I don't know what it is with Spades myself. Maybe all the trash-talk? Not sure, but they were good times :D

You should definitely consider Vegas. It's so much cheaper out here (I'm comparing to Chicago). There's no state taxes. There are actually neighborhoods/communities outside of the Strip (Summerlin is very nice). And if you ever wanted to pick up a part-time job, those are everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, I don't know what it is with Spades myself. Maybe all the trash-talk? Not sure, but they were good times :D

You should definitely consider Vegas. It's so much cheaper out here (I'm comparing to Chicago). There's no state taxes. There are actually neighborhoods/communities outside of the Strip (Summerlin is very nice). And if you ever wanted to pick up a part-time job, those are everywhere.

I heard about the jobs thing and, yeah, that suits me just fine. Part-time old-guy greeter at Walmart is calling to me even as we speak. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next