Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Watching the video, it looks to me like he was just scratching his face.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We don't know if this person was doing it on purpose or had no idea he was doing it. In either case why should we care?

We don't know, here in the LR, although it sure looks purposeful. However, I guarantee someone in his USCG chain of command asked him about it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Holy shit you people are hopeless!

It is a stupid game.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/...p?term=Circle%20Game

It is just a funny "gotcha" style game where you try to get someone to look at your circle and if they do they "lose".

IE your mother in law wants family pics, if you figure out a way to put a discreet circle in the pic you win. The dude in the video was just being funny. There is nothing perverted, offensive, racist, about it. Might not have been appropriate for the given situation, but he just "got" every one of his buddies back home. Stupid? Sure. Worthy of outrage? Absolutely not.
Last edited by: A-A-Ron: Sep 17, 18 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Worthy of outrage?

Are you new here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your own link says the gesture needs to be made "below the waist" in order to "win." So, if his intent was to play the circle game, I think it would be fair to assume he knew the rules.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
We don't know if this person was doing it on purpose or had no idea he was doing it. In either case why should we care?

We don't know, here in the LR, although it sure looks purposeful. However, I guarantee someone in his USCG chain of command asked him about it.

The article I read pointed out that the Coast Guard hasn't denied it was a whiter power symbol. You would think that would be something they would want to distance themselves from if possible, but who knows for sure?
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Your own link says the gesture needs to be made "below the waist" in order to "win." So, if his intent was to play the circle game, I think it would be fair to assume he knew the rules.

I suppose he could have stood up and done it correctly, but that would have been even less discrete.

Much ado about nothing but a silly game. But hey, in the pay per click society we live in, better muster up some controversy!
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

The article I read pointed out that the Coast Guard hasn't denied it was a whiter power symbol. You would think that would be something they would want to distance themselves from if possible, but who knows for sure?

Denied it?

Circular argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna make scuba diving a little hard if I can't flash the OK signal to my guide or dive buddy when needed. If I change to giving him the thumbs up when he asks if I am OK, that means to him I want to surface. Correctness is getting in the way of my diving and its got to end. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe context matters.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now more people have figured out how to get suspended for something dumb. All fun and games until you lose a weeks pay.

https://www.al.com/...s_suspended_for.html

This July 12, 2018 photo shows members of the Jasper, Alabama Police Department with Mayor David O'Mary, second from right and Police Chief J.C. Poe, in front of a house in Frisco, Ala., that was the scene of a drug bust. Jasper Mayor David O'Mary tells news outlets that four Jasper officers have been suspended and will lose a week's pay following the publication of a photograph in the Jasper Daily Mountain Eagle on July 12. O'Mary is pictured in that photo alongside several officers, four of whom are making an upside-down "OK" sign with their fingers. He says some have claimed the gesture is meant to express "white power."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 17, 18 12:06
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. It still just means OK.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
Nah. It still just means OK.

Yep, you are absolutely right...I just completely made that up.

Obviously you didn't know that nc452010 is an authority and knows exactly what was meant by the motion.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Holy shit you people are hopeless!

It is a stupid game.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/...p?term=Circle%20Game

It is just a funny "gotcha" style game where you try to get someone to look at your circle and if they do they "lose".

IE your mother in law wants family pics, if you figure out a way to put a discreet circle in the pic you win. The dude in the video was just being funny. There is nothing perverted, offensive, racist, about it. Might not have been appropriate for the given situation, but he just "got" every one of his buddies back home. Stupid? Sure. Worthy of outrage? Absolutely not.

This, it's like a RickRoll minus any interweb connection... Bartender at my neighborhood pub can't get enough of it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Even Michael likes it!

Errrr... I mean, White Power! Yeah, definitely means White Power....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
This ridiculousness just keeps getting worse .
https://www.theblaze.com/...nd-signal-on-live-tv

Once again, a symbol is a Rorschach Test (ink blot). If the viewer wants to see a pretty butterfly, then that's what it is. If the viewer wants to see hate and discontent, then that's what it is.

Does anyone know if this "controversy" started on Twitter? I swear, the culture on Twitter is a super toxic, "Everything is wrong! DESPAIR!!!" Therefore, I avoid all political discussions on that platform.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Once again, a symbol is a Rorschach Test (ink blot). If the viewer wants to see a pretty butterfly, then that's what it is. If the viewer wants to see hate and discontent, then that's what it is.

Does anyone know if this "controversy" started on Twitter? I swear, the culture on Twitter is a super toxic, "Everything is wrong! DESPAIR!!!" Therefore, I avoid all political discussions on that platform.

I'll disagree, context influences what the viewer sees. Show me that symbol in a game of circle between two dudes, or a SCUBA diver, or a guy with a swastika tattoo and I will come to a different conclusion.

Now if a guy with a "SS" tattoo on his arm gives that sign to his buddy as they prep for a dive, I'm not sure I could tell what is going on.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Crank wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

I'll disagree, context influences what the viewer sees. Show me that symbol in a game of circle between two dudes, or a SCUBA diver, or a guy with a swastika tattoo and I will come to a different conclusion.

Now if a guy with a "SS" tattoo on his arm gives that sign to his buddy as they prep for a dive, I'm not sure I could tell what is going on.

What was the context in the instance at issue here? A white male Coastie who was in the background of some talking head shot, or something like that? I don't think that's enough to inform the viewer.

Otherwise, sure, your point is correct. But it's inapplicable to this situation.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The inmates are running the asylum.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
The inmates are running the asylum.

Your grievance is strong. Together we can get you through this.

It's a brilliant symbol. It can mean white power if you want it to mean "white power." It can be used to make fun of people who think it means "white power". It can be used ironically. It can be used to troll for any number of reasons. It can mean "OK," particularly when diving.

However it's probably not smart to do it on live TV while representing your employer, unless used in professional context, like a diver. Troll on your own time. Unless you're President.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 18 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: "Ok" no longer means ok. Got it!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But kneeling during the anthem absolutely can’t mean disrespect to our flag, our armed services members or our LEO community. That is in concrete.

I think I have it now 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What was the context in the instance at issue here? A white male Coastie who was in the background of some talking head shot, or something like that? I don't think that's enough to inform the viewer.

Otherwise, sure, your point is correct. But it's inapplicable to this situation.

I don’t know the context well enough to make a judgment. I guess I’m not as clued into the context as some of the folks who think they understand the situation perfectly and have made their judgment.

I don’t think we disagree. My only point to say a specific gesture means or doesn’t mean something without context is presumptive.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next