Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Today's happy gun story...
Quote | Reply
https://chicago.suntimes.com/...n-on-southwest-side/

Police officers outside Chicago (Cicero PD) try to stop a guy. He flees. They box him in on the freeway during evening traffic. The suspect exits his vehicle and rains down fire on the two officers with an automatic weapon, striking one of the officers with 4 rounds (he'll survive). Officers return fire. -----------Armed citizen with a CCW is sitting in traffic and witnesses the shooting. He exits his vehicle and engages the savage with his legal firearm. The suspect is hit once (unknown by whom) and is taken into custody. Armed citizen is hailed as a hero as he possibly saved the officers lives! Freaking awesome!

My take on the Dallas incident. Cop needs to go to jail,,,she's an idiot. And...it matters not what her color is (AP made it clear she was white) his color is, whether he had weed or anything else.....she needs to go to jail...end of story.

In other news, I passed my 18 USC 926c qual yesterday and can now carry concealed in all 50 states. HooRah!
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a feeling this wont end well. regardless of whether the cops appreciate his assistance, either an anti-CCW DA or the criminal himself will go after this guy because his life was not immediately threatened. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
i have a feeling this wont end well. regardless of whether the cops appreciate his assistance, either an anti-CCW DA or the criminal himself will go after this guy because his life was not immediately threatened. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

From Goldman & Associates' (Illinois lawyers) website:
Under Illinois Law 720 ILCS 5/Art. 7-1, a “person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other’s imminent use of unlawful force.” The elements necessary to prove that your actions were justified are as follows:
1) Belief that the force used is necessary: This means your interpretation of the situation is reasonable and that someone in a similar situation would also believe that your or someone else is about to be harmed.
2) Amount of force used is reasonable under the circumstances: This speaks to the degree of force used. You must only defend yourself to the extent necessary, meaning you are only justified in using lethal force if someone is about to kill you or cause you great bodily harm. For example, it would not be justified to shoot someone who is unarmed, but threatening to punch you. The use of force in this situation is out of proportion to the threat being made.
3) Defense must be against unlawful force: This means that you cannot use force against someone who is not breaking the law. For example, you cannot attack someone in self-defense who is yelling at you. It may be really annoying, aggravating, and even scary, but a verbal confrontation is not unlawful force according to Illinois law.
emphasis added
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than the fact that it could have been worse, nothing about that story makes me happy.

So public shootouts are freaking awesome as long as the right guy gets shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Other than the fact that it could have been worse, nothing about that story makes me happy.

Yeah this happy gun story starts with an unhappy gun story.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [Brick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now the public is defending cops? I really think it's great and more PD's should have citizen volunteers, perhaps not armed, but helping out on patrols and traffic accidents.The more eyes on the streets the better.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"When the officers boxed the car in traffic at the top of the ramp, the man at the wheel got out and began firing an automatic weapon, hitting Duarte twice in the arm, once in the leg and once in the abdomen, officials said."

Fully automatic weapons are heavily regulated and seldom seen in shooting statistics. I wonder if the article got it wrong, or it really was an automatic weapon.

I'd wager that it was semi-automatic, and the author just shot from the hip.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
"When the officers boxed the car in traffic at the top of the ramp, the man at the wheel got out and began firing an automatic weapon, hitting Duarte twice in the arm, once in the leg and once in the abdomen, officials said."

Fully automatic weapons are heavily regulated and seldom seen in shooting statistics. I wonder if the article got it wrong, or it really was an automatic weapon.

I'd wager that it was semi-automatic, and the author just shot from the hip.

I have yet to meet a reporter (when I was working I knew quite a few of them) who knew much of anything about guns. And..."automatic" vs "semi-automatic" is much more dramatic. I think your wager is correct...most likely a semi-auto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:

I have yet to meet a reporter (when I was working I knew quite a few of them) who knew much of anything about guns. And..."automatic" vs "semi-automatic" is much more dramatic. I think your wager is correct...most likely a semi-auto.

Whenever I read a news story about an event I'm familiar with, I realize how sloppy reporting is on details. I would be shocked if this were an actual automatic weapon.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Thom wrote:

Yeah this happy gun story starts with an unhappy gun story.

My thoughts too. For all the shitty outcomes from guns in the USA; more than 100,000 shootings, more than 30,000 deaths annually, this is what a gun advocate calls a "happy gun story"?

An innocent cop shot in the line of duty is a happy story? In a typical year in the US a hundred + cops are shot, and hundreds of civilians are shot by cops in response to their fear of getting shot. If a cop is shot but lives and the bad guy dies that's a "happy" event? Phuck me.

In my slightly less gun obsessed country I had to go back to a terrorist shooting in 2014 to find an example of a cop being shot. It happens almost never. And civilians shot by cops run at about 0 - 3 per year. I'll take the absence of public shoot-outs as a happier story, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt it was an automatic weapon.

The Chicago Tribune, who seems to get it right more often than the Sun Times, does not mention an "automatic weapon."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180913-story.html

Same with WGN: https://wgntv.com/...icer-shot-near-i-55/

Same with ABC: https://abc7chicago.com/...-cicero-ave/4236140/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but just think of all that sweet, sweet freedom you guys are missing out on.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote jkca1 more PD's should have citizen volunteers, perhaps not armed, but helping out on patrols and traffic accidents.The more eyes on the streets the better.[/quote]
That sounds a little too dystopian for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy that I do not live in a country where a guy who thinks that this is an happy gun story can now conceal carry.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's happy gun story... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
more PD's should have citizen volunteers, perhaps not armed, but helping out on patrols and traffic accidents.The more eyes on the streets the better.

That sounds a little too dystopian for me.

Yeah, even if the PDs don't arm the volunteers w/ service weapons, how do you police them from taking it upon themselves to pack?

Quote Reply