Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using a Pioneer powermeter to evaluate fit
Quote | Reply
Is any doing this or have thoughts on this?

Since it’ll measure ‘power vectors’ I figure you could see the effect of position changes on different part of the pedal stroke. So during trainer season you could ride for a week, evaluate the data, make a change, ride another week, evaluate data, make another change, etc. Do that until you find the best position.

Does it seem like overkill compared to a regular powermeter? Or would there be too many other variables to get really useful data? Thoughts?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Using a Pioneer powermeter to evaluate fit [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Interesting question. I'm curious as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Since it’ll measure ‘power vectors’ I figure you could see the effect of position changes on different part of the pedal stroke.

First you'd need to establish that "power vectors" relate to anything meaningful, like performance. I doubt anyone has done that or ever will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thought when switching to Pioneer PMs several years ago. I even tried to tell the Pioneer rep that it was time to update their "Power is King" presentation that they make to LBSs and clubs - which is more or less an intro to PMs and the story of how some of their Japanese engineers created the Skunk Works powermeter project within the huge company that is Pioneer - and needed to show some case studies and actionable use of this admittedly very cool and "gee whiz" force vector technology that they have developed.

I remember telling them years ago that PMs from all manufacturers were getting better and better while also getting cheaper - in effect commoditizing - and if Pioneer was able to demonstrate the ability to do something with their fancy force vector analysis, i.e. show a rider exactly how they can use the data to better perform on the bike, they would have their "secret sauce" that would allow them to differentiate themselves in the market.

Alas, it would seem no secret sauce exists. They still make a solid PM IMHO, but can't provide what you are asking for.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Using a Pioneer powermeter to evaluate fit [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would you take aerodynamics into account when making your changes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for what its worth i run Pioneers and prior to a bikefit my right leg always produced 5-20watts less.
i thought it was just an imbalance. i then got a bikekfit done and had cleat position changed and pedal axles widened.
My right leg is now with 1-2% of the left.
Quote Reply