Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept?
Quote | Reply
I decided to sign up for the Sarasota Tri Festival Draft Legal Sprint Race....my first attempt at draft legal.

Are there any races between now and 10/15 I can "practice" at.

Willing to travel anywhere east of the Rockies..

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a dearth of Draft Legal races in the States. I am not aware of any this Fall. If you find any, let us know.

My suggestion would be to ride with a group of roadies to get the feeling of group riding. I've found that in most DL races, the packs tend to be small - between three and six riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you....I'm ok in a group ride setting so that's not the issue.
Race tactics and experience is what I'm looking for.

I searched and haven't been able to find anything in North America.
Hoping the ST collective is aware of a smaller, less publicized race.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race tactics- T1 + 1st 5 mins of bike are going to be key. That's going to determine the groups essentially for the bike at that type of level.

-Communicate, communicate, communicate in the group.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bumperoo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your USA Cycling license and find those road races & criteriums...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron:

There is this race next weekend up in Canada:

https://www.triathlonontario.com/draft-legal-provincial-championships

We did some short draft legal races in Arizona while living there. BDoughtie gives good advice on the communication. You got to talk and gotta listen to the others in the pack. Both transitions are key for you too. Quick and efficient from shoe to shoe. Go hard on the bike early to get a good wheel. With your leg power and leg speed your best strategy will be to do your own kind of race with your peers unless you can draft off a fast, younger dude and let them pull you around the course for awhile. If you can't, you may find yourself holding you back to draft behind others who are slower instead of riding the other guys off your wheel after the swim.

BTW, nice race in Cleveland!

Doug

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tri-50-states

Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept? [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Doug.

Already signed up for Superior Man in Duluth on that date.
I appreciate the insight on tactics. It should be fun.

I like your suggestion RE hanging with the younger guys during the bike...They'll run away from me for sure, but hopefully i'll have a bit of a cushion by then.

Ron

**Sorry I missed you in Cleveland.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there's ITU Worlds (open wave) in Gold Coast next month - but Australia may be a little farther than you're willing to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Draft-Legal races - Anything available in Sept? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Well, there's ITU Worlds (open wave) in Gold Coast next month - but Australia may be a little farther than you're willing to go.

:-) Couldn't sell that one to the wife....

Quote Reply