Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wet weather races & transitions
Quote | Reply
It's the first weekend of summer so it might as well rain all weekend :(
Any tips or tricks? Put everything in a bag?

Any insights are appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Wet weather races & transitions [TriSolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread might help if you have a bike drop: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=lube#p6651436

Other than that, the only thing I'm mindful of on wet days on the bike is my tire pressure. I usually ride 100psi +/- and on wet days I'll drop that to 90psi +/-.

On the run, it's about keeping the rain out of my eyes because it's annoying so I wear a hat with the brim pulled low.

Other than that, things are going to rub and you just have to deal. Of course, if you are more concerned about comfort than time, maybe consider applying some lube to spots you are worried about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you race in the rain you are going to be wet. I've never seen much point in trying to keep your transition stuff dry. I will try to keep something dry to wear after the race, either in a bag or if close enough, in my car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lube ALL THE THINGS. Even between your toes. Wear your tightest kit so the rain doesn't hold onto the extra fabric and weigh you down.
PSI at least 10 lower than normal per tire, even lower if the roads aren't that great.
I put my running shoes in T2 upside down so there aren't puddles in them waiting for my feet, just as a slight morale saver.

Post-race, have some WARM AND DRY clothes, regardless of outside temp, waiting somewhere for you. And some bourbon, because you freakin' earned it out there in the rain.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make sure my backpack is in a plastic trash bag to stay dry for after the race.

I prefer to cover my shoes also. It's kind of silly because they will most likely get soaked while you are running anyway. I just prefer to start with shoes as dry as possible.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSolo wrote:
It's the first weekend of summer so it might as well rain all weekend :(
Any tips or tricks? Put everything in a bag?

Any insights are appreciated

Here's what I got last year...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...D_P6450360/#p6450360

The advise was solid. it was cold and raining at the start, and through about half of the bike. But as it turned out, by the time I got to T2 it wasn't raining any more. So, covering my shoes meant I had dry feet for the entire run.

Dunno how much rain running you have done. But, every time I do, I get blisters between my 3 middle toes. So, I tape my toes with paper tape. Other's use bodyglide. YMMV.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 22, 18 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: Wet weather races & transitions [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of keeping things as dry as possible up until the last second and didn't think of the tire pressure; thanks for the reminder on that.

Think I'll keep the running shoes upside down and in a bag. Don't want to put on shoes that could possibly feel like soggy bricks. My legs will probably already feel like that. ;)
On a plus side I am planning on retiring these shoes soon, so this could be their last hurrah.
Quote Reply
Re: Wet weather races & transitions [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my shoes (and socks if I am going to wear them) in a grocery bag in transition. It takes maybe 3 seconds to get them out of the bag, but it is worth it for me to be putting on dry shoes to start the run. They are gonna get wet, but there is some comfort in putting on dry shoes after a wet bike that is worth a marginal loss in transition IMO.

Dr_Cupcake wrote:
PSI at least 10 lower than normal per tire, even lower if the roads aren't that great.

A lot of people reduce tire pressure in the rain. I suppose I question this. My goal is to always be running as low of a tire pressure as I can while still avoiding pinch flats. I don't have room to reduce the pressure in wet conditions. Is riding low pressure all the time not the conventional wisdom these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Wet weather races & transitions [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I think if you race in the rain you are going to be wet. I've never seen much point in trying to keep your transition stuff dry. I will try to keep something dry to wear after the race, either in a bag or if close enough, in my car.

One thing I'd definitely prefer to keep dry is my HED Jet wheels when raining or at least somewhat protected. Otherwise those non-structural fairings fill up with quite of bit of water and it takes a bit of effort spinning out all that extra water at the beginning of the bike (we are talking a few extra pounds in there).

Otherwise I'd prefer to also keep my street clothes (I prefer an extra set) a bit dry for the drive home.
Quote Reply