Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

London Marathon Fraud
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44564612

Guy who picked up a discarded number and ran the last 300metres to claim a medal has been sentenced to 13weeks in prison for fraud.

Should drafters, course cutters and drugs cheats now also be prosecuted for fraud?
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [doug_steel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consequences!

That said, not sure if the societal benefit is there to tie up our court system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also reported here: https://www.theguardian.com/...er-stanislaw-skupian

This seems a completely over the top sentence to me, particularly given the immediate guilty plea, the fact that the person in question is homeless with reported mental health issues and that there's no reason to think it was a premeditated act. I have to wonder what benefit putting this man in prison for several months will bring to either society or to him.

There's nothing in the London Marathon goodie bag that's worth sending someone to jail for.
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
Also reported here: https://www.theguardian.com/...er-stanislaw-skupian

This seems a completely over the top sentence to me, particularly given the immediate guilty plea, the fact that the person in question is homeless with reported mental health issues and that there's no reason to think it was a premeditated act. I have to wonder what benefit putting this man in prison for several months will bring to either society or to him.

There's nothing in the London Marathon goodie bag that's worth sending someone to jail for.

What is the prison system like in England? If the person is homeless and in need of mental health services, this might actually be a good thing for everyone. They get three months of food, shelter and medical care (3 hots and a cot).

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: London Marathon Fraud [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello windschatten and All,

This might be like diagnosing heart disease via forum.

Without more on site information forum opinions are farts in a windstorm.

I tend to agree with in Vincible ... maybe incarceration is the way to get mental care and meds to this homeless man in the UK.

“He joined in the marathon and completed the latter part of the race.
“At the time he hadn’t fully quite appreciated that he was doing anything wrong.

“He dedicated the completion of it to his seven-year-old son and to homeless people to inspire them that good things can happen to those that are less fortunate.”

The London marathon chief executive, Nick Bitel, said the episode could be seen to damage the reputation and integrity of the race, regarded as one of the best organised in the world, the court heard.

Skupian has lived in the UK for around 11 years and suffered a neck injury in a serious car crash at the end of last year, forcing him to take sick leave from a catering trade job, Jamroz said.

Around the same time he separated from his wife and became homeless.

Shortly before the race Skupian suffered a short, temporary breakdown in his mental state, she added.

She said: “He wanted to be there, he was excited. He wanted to see the runners.

“He says by chance he saw a race identifier on the floor.

“In his excitement he picked up the identifier thinking this was his opportunity to compete in the marathon and that this was in fact a dream come true for him.

He was arrested after police searched the multi-faith prayer room at Heathrow airport, where he was found with items including a primary school worker’s ID card and a pink diary holding overtime hours worked by airline staff.

Skupian viewed the airport as a temporary home and would pick up left-behind objects to pass to lost property, claiming he was going to return the items, the court heard.

Skupian, who wore a grey jumper and used a Polish translator, pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity last month to fraud by false representation and to three unrelated counts of theft.

“The offences are so serious as only a prison sentence will suffice,” magistrate Michael O’Gorman said.

Skupian was sentenced to 13 weeks for the fraud and three weeks for the theft offences, to be served consecutively.

From Washington Post .... Homeless in America

Excerpt:

Nearly all of the long-term homeless have tenuous family ties and some kind of disability, whether it is a drug or alcohol addiction, a mental illness, or a physical handicap. While they make up a small share of the homeless population, they are disproportionately costly to society: They consume nearly 60 percent of the resources spent on emergency and transitional shelter for adults, and they occupy hospitals and jails at high rates. [emphasis added]

Because the relatively small number of people living on the streets who suffer from paranoia, delusions and other mental disorders are very visible, they have come to stand for the entire homeless population -- despite the fact that they are in the minority. As a result, many people falsely concluded that an increase in homelessness in the 1980s resulted from the deinstitutionalization of psychiatric care in the 1960s and 1970s.

In my own research, I have calculated that the rate of severe mental illness among the homeless (including families and children) is 13 to 15 percent. Among the much smaller group of single adults who are chronically homeless, however, the rate reaches 30 to 40 percent. For this population, mental illness is clearly a barrier to exiting homelessness.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jun 21, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine how many new prisons we would have to build. Several in Texas alone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is truly a sad story and makes me not think well about the London Marathon
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That is truly a sad story and makes me not think well about the London Marathon

Agreed. It’s indescribable how many layers of ineptitude this had to go through for it to happen.
Shame on all of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems to be a case of bad journalism in my opinion. Both articles are written in a way which implies a link with between the fraud conviction and the London marathon but its not clear the two are in any way related.

The BBC article fails to mention (but the guardian article does) that he was arrested at Heathrow airport with someone else's ID. This is serious offense due to airport security concerns and was treated as such. Mental health will not be given much less leniency because pretending to be someone else and wander around with stolen property at an airport is considered a much more serious offence than if the same actions were done elsewhere. So yes its a sad situation and shows a failure of the mental health/criminal justice system in the UK. But its also shows the sad state of journalism in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reading the news coverage, I don't think this was only about the London Marathon. It seems this was one of a number petty crimes he was being charged with.
It just makes a better headline to include the London Marathon.
Having said that, I would have hoped they'd have taken into account his mental health issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can they start sticking blatant drafters in prison too. [pink/kinda]
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:

What is the prison system like in England? If the person is homeless and in need of mental health services, this might actually be a good thing for everyone. They get three months of food, shelter and medical care (3 hots and a cot).

You forgot beaten and raped
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the marathon incident was the least of the fellers illegal acts. He just bought attention to himself! I expect he'll get booted out of the U.K. after brexit.
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
I think the marathon incident was the least of the fellers illegal acts. He just bought attention to himself! I expect he'll get booted out of the U.K. after brexit.

He can join our car and aircraft industries which are leaving voluntarily.
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Vincible wrote:

You forgot beaten and raped

Those are usually extra, butt worth the time

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello srshaw and All,

"I think the marathon incident was the least of the fellers illegal acts. He just bought attention to himself! I expect he'll get booted out of the U.K. after brexit" ..... " The Maybe Brexit?'

What do you think the probabilities are (for a UK Brexit exit)?

...... and I hope they do a follow up feel good story on the homeless man for a happy ending .... he gets medical help .... reunites with wife and son ..... trains and wins the London Marathon (in his age group) .... coming to a theater near you soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/22/peoples-vote-march-against-brexit-london-thousands-expected

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: London Marathon Fraud [JGav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGav wrote:
Can they start sticking blatant drafters in prison too. [pink/kinda]
Not pink: make them run a mile longer for each draft penalty they receive on the bike.

Yes the journalistic integrity is suspect, and it's not about partisan propaganda or fake news. Majority of news outlets make their money from online presence, and need those sweet sweet click-throughs across ad networks, and they use visitor tracking. No better way to get more clicks and more ad revenue that by employing half-truthful sensationalist headline. It's just a journalist's version of 'learn this one weird trick discovered by a mom". THAT's why they are pinning this on London Marathon. More clicks. When a blogger does it, fine. But a traditional media house? For shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the UK, but I can speak for the same thing if it happened in Canada.

If you were a person who had never been in trouble with the police/arrested/charged before then something like this might result in a warning by the cops at the scene and it's done. If you had been in trouble/arrested/charged before then you might get charged for this. It really depends on choices that you've made up to that point.

If you had a history of crime then you would get charged, and they would prosecute it and you could get sentenced to this sort of time. But....you'd have to have a pretty long criminal record to warrant that. Sentencing is supposed to be progressive, meaning the slap on the wrist is a bit harder each time you face it.

100% that you could charge someone to leverage them into mental health care, and they have specific facilities here in Ontario for it.

In this case, I think there's more to it that wasn't reported (like a significant criminal record). But again that's speculation since I don't know much about the UK system.
Quote Reply