Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct - would not ride in the small/small or the no-no gear. Appreciate the feedback on the mid cassette approach and will do so accordingly.

I would love not to remove the hydration system but I think at some point I will need to wash it - I plan to use the hydration system primarily for racing so it won’t be too frequent as I do most of my training inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Justfinishtmudd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah huge pain getting the hydration kit in isn't it. Don't worry it gets easier. Once or twice, I think I ended up needing to loosen off the bolts in the mounts to get a little more room to get the hydration kit in. Obviously you don't want to be doing that unnecessarily though and risk stripping the bolts over time. Mine definitely got easier after a few goes though. I imagine the plastic became a little less stiff each time. From memory it was the front section that was hard to get in (as I think that was the outer of the two where they join) so make sure you put that one in first. Getting the back section in wasn't so bad.

It's been a little while since I've needed to pull the front end apart but from memory, the cables don't foul as there are cutouts for them. So long as you have them directed through the right bit, they should be fine. I think I had wondered the same when I was first trying to get the hydration kit in. And actually now I think about it, I had put a little bit of tape to hold them to the side but you don't want to make your life harder by reducing the space even more with tape so go light if you feel you need to use some.

Sorry that's probably not a hugely helpful response but as I said, it's been a while since I've looked at it all as it's the offseason where I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [alexandra_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexandra_m wrote:
Yeah huge pain getting the hydration kit in isn't it. Don't worry it gets easier. Once or twice, I think I ended up needing to loosen off the bolts in the mounts to get a little more room to get the hydration kit in. Obviously you don't want to be doing that unnecessarily though and risk stripping the bolts over time. Mine definitely got easier after a few goes though. I imagine the plastic became a little less stiff each time. From memory it was the front section that was hard to get in (as I think that was the outer of the two where they join) so make sure you put that one in first. Getting the back section in wasn't so bad.

It's been a little while since I've needed to pull the front end apart but from memory, the cables don't foul as there are cutouts for them. So long as you have them directed through the right bit, they should be fine. I think I had wondered the same when I was first trying to get the hydration kit in. And actually now I think about it, I had put a little bit of tape to hold them to the side but you don't want to make your life harder by reducing the space even more with tape so go light if you feel you need to use some.

Sorry that's probably not a hugely helpful response but as I said, it's been a while since I've looked at it all as it's the offseason where I am.

Very helpful - appreciate the feedback! Good to know it will get easier!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Justfinishtmudd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question for owners of the previous version (rim brakes) of the Speedmax - what tool (think it's torx?) do I need unscrew the cover of the Di2 junction box? I've lost the one that came with it and need to charge the Di2. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you SLX owners mounting your computer? I see the garmin mounts are out of stock. I have an Element Bolt II -- is there a mount for this that would work?

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexandra_m wrote:

I just bought one for my wife. The bottle leaked and then the BFO hit.........I'm having the same problem and I see the wire issue. I tried to shorten the shifter wires at the junction box but of course the tiny screw that hold on the junction box cover is stripped. Typical. This is a HUGE PAIN IN THE...........
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon AU sent me a new bolt for that area as one of mine was jammed in there when the bike first arrived and I was going to strip it trying to get it out. I got my LBS to forcibly remove the jammed one (as I wasn't game to hit my fancy new bike too hard).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexandra_m wrote:
Canyon AU sent me a new bolt for that area as one of mine was jammed in there when the bike first arrived and I was going to strip it trying to get it out. I got my LBS to forcibly remove the jammed one (as I wasn't game to hit my fancy new bike too hard).

Yea, I'm taking the bike to shop today for the same reason. I have also noticed a similar problem with the screw that holds the housing for the battery. Its sticking out some and will not move.

Big bike (pick your brand) makes me mad with all their fittings. They either are cheap crap and strip easy or they rust......as if a tri-bike will never get wet...................
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just received my speedmax and to be honest, I'm having a hard time assembling it. Most of was assembled already -but where I'm having trouble is tightening the tri bar extensions. I found the little black pieces that slide in (which were not marked - just tossed into the bag of parts) - I have them in the tube but can't seem to get the little screws to tighten down on them, so the extensions just slide forward and backwards. What am I doing wrong?!

I was hoping to get this put together tonight and go on a nice long ride tomorrow, but that's looking grim now if I can't get these suckers safely tightened up.

Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave,

I'm assuming you have an SLX with the mono extension that splits into the aero grip. If that's the case there are 2 small screws on top of that mono extension that are size 3 hex and light at 4nm of torque. That locks in the aero extension.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’s the mono. I’m on the 2019 version. But I’ll check and give that a try.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I might be a bit of a technical numpty so bear with me on this one. I bought a new Speedmax a few months ago, really like it overall but am having challenges refilling the hydration on the move in a fast way. The reservoir mechanism seems to limit the speed of filling and it is taking 30-40 seconds which isn’t race practical. Am I missing something simple? Is there an effective technique?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Melt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,
I need help! I have 1 rounded bolt where the plate that holds the spacers / aero bars (see photo for better explanation) I have the 2019/2020 CF SLX with the spacers either side of water bottle.

I thought this was a 20mm M5 bolt, when I tried a replacement M5 bolt in one of the other bolt holes, the bolt was "loose" certainly not as snug as the original Canyon bolt, which made me wonder, has anyone replaced any of these bolts? will the M5 bolt "be ok"? I don't want to remove the rounded bolt before I know it can be replaced.

Contacted Canyon and the guy said "yeah its a M5 bolt go to any good DIY store and pick 1 up" he didn't really sound confident and was going off the BOM drawing I sent him from the 2018 model, my fear is I will damage the front end of the bike.
I have found a BOM drawing of 2018 speedmax and it shows threaded rod and M5 dowels, but the 2019 is slightly different, I would really like to see BOM of 2019 model (don't suppose anyone has this?)

Sorry for the rambling post but I've spent the last 5 days trying to not break my bike, Canyon did say they don't have any of these in stock but would sell me an armrest kit for 100gbp..... bit extreme for a replacement bolt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated before I go any farther and potentially do some serious damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [LoosecanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you able to get said bolt out? If yes, then do what they said, take it to any hardware store and get a matching thread replacement. Even if its just a flat head screwdriver version.... IMHO
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Are you able to get said bolt out? If yes, then do what they said, take it to any hardware store and get a matching thread replacement. Even if its just a flat head screwdriver version.... IMHO

Not yet but I don't see any issues removing it, Ive take out the other 3 bolts, (canyon bolt measures same as the M5 that's what's confusing me slightly) tried an M5 bolt in those and it makes up but seems the pitch of the thread may be slightly different? bolt feels a lot "looser", more movement than with the original canyon bolt, just worried I torque up the bolts and potentially strip the internal thread.
THX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LoosecanTri wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Not yet but I don't see any issues removing it, Ive take out the other 3 bolts, (canyon bolt measures same as the M5 that's what's confusing me slightly) tried an M5 bolt in those and it makes up but seems the pitch of the thread may be slightly different? bolt feels a lot "looser", more movement than with the original canyon bolt, just worried I torque up the bolts and potentially strip the internal thread.
THX
Well, I think most hardware stores will have a wall with sample threaded 'holes' and you can see which the stock bolt matches exactly. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [pbueno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbueno wrote:
hjws wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with the front hydration leaking? Mine is dripping down the forks (presumably from where the two bits join together) pretty much constantly while riding. Any solutions for this?

I am having the same issue with my brand new bike. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

I'm new here and just looking at old posts, may be you've fixed it now?
I use PTFE (plumbers tape) and give it a few wraps to help seal over the o rings, can be tight making water bottle back up but certainly helped me.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a pic of a CFR or CF SLX with the 7 degree spacer installed with the Canyon proprietary mono post / extensions setup? I need to visualise the tilt on the extensions to see if it is sufficient for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, all!

I have owned the Canyon Speedmax CF SLX since late 2016.
Over the past two years, I've noticed some creaks from the handlebars when pushing hard on them in this position (random photo from the internet).

I also notice some tilting of the handlebars.
All the screws are pretty tight and looking good (except for some wearing/oxidation over those 7 years).

Does anyone else have these issues over the years?
I'm not really comfortable right now riding in this position as I am afraid I can even break the base bar.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I’ve heard of some of the earlier speedmaxes like yours having an issue with the basebar breaking. I’d contact canyon and see what they say. I believe I heard there was some talk of it in a facebook group for speedmax owners before.
Last edited by: habbywall: Jul 26, 23 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yeah, just checked a group on Facebook and found the photo of the screws of a triathlete with similar issue. Tightening the left and right kinda helped.

Would love to hear more stories though about how the base bar is holding up for guys who have similar bike for 4+ years.
Last edited by: NickMa: Jul 26, 23 17:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a perspective on the forearm extension kits from Canyon (Speedmax Armrest Upgrade Kit) and Radsport https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/...mpads-longo-slx?c=44

Are they much of a muchness or distinct? For those who have tested both, what is your preference and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Just received my Speedmax few days ago and have a question regarding the hydration straw. Can I change the shape of it somehow? The magnet is very weak even with Garmin mounting and it doesn't want to stick to the extention. Also I'd like to lead the straw in more conviniet way.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [LukaszP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try using a rare earth magnet that may work a bit TOO well...not sure if you can hot glue the magnet to the straw or not. Just tossing out ideas I haven't tried--but know rare earth magnets are super strong. Again, I have zero experience in magnet to straw modifications.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [LukaszP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what is a main difference between Tri Bottle Holder and Seat Post Bottle Adapter?

https://www.canyon.com/...dapter/10006351.html

https://www.canyon.com/...holder/10009430.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next