Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cobra Kai? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. It’s level of terrible is no longer bearable for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Negative. It’s level of terrible is no longer bearable for me.
But it is deliberately "terrible". The cheese is strong with it and I appreciate that they poke fun at themselves. We are 3 or 4 episodes in and are thoroughly enjoying it with plenty of laughter.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched the first season on Netflix and found it way better than I expected. I am pleased. I will move on to Season 2 though some of these comments have me worried.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I just watched the first season on Netflix and found it way better than I expected. I am pleased. I will move on to Season 2 though some of these comments have me worried.

I’ll admit we binge watched season 1 over break- but that might be enough for me…
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I’ll admit we binge watched season 1 over break- but that might be enough for me…

I just stated episode 1 of Season 2 and it started with a bang!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely terrible. Much more so than last season's terribleness. I can't watch more than about 15-20mins in a sitting but will finish out the season simply because I feel like I have to.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It's definitely terrible. Much more so than last season's terribleness. I can't watch more than about 15-20mins in a sitting but will finish out the season simply because I feel like I have to.

I dont understand this.. LOL I gave up on walking Dead long ago and never felt any obligation to watch it when it jumped the shark.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Buster Scrugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buster Scrugs wrote:
logella wrote:

I dont understand this.. LOL I gave up on walking Dead long ago and never felt any obligation to watch it when it jumped the shark.

I don't disagree with the assessment that the show is bad, but it's bad in a good sort of way. It's so much like the Karate Kid movies . . . ridiculous plot lines that are just accepted as "normal," cheesy dialogue, and other hallmarks of campy, silly shows.

But, that said, it is very entertaining. It's nice to have mindless entertainment I can actually watch with my wife rather than the stuff she usually likes, such as Dancing with the Stars and the Masked Singer.

I'll take this show in spades.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
But, that said, it is very entertaining. It's nice to have mindless entertainment I can actually watch with my wife rather than the stuff she usually likes, such as Dancing with the Stars and the Masked Singer.

You poor, poor man.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Danno wrote:

You poor, poor man.

I love her, in spite of her faults. These are pretty much the only ones.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Buster Scrugs wrote:
logella wrote:

I don't disagree with the assessment that the show is bad, but it's bad in a good sort of way. It's so much like the Karate Kid movies . . . ridiculous plot lines that are just accepted as "normal," cheesy dialogue, and other hallmarks of campy, silly shows.

I'll take this show in spades.

Just finished season 4. I really lived the new characters they brought in this season.

Gotta say, as cheesy of a show that it is, I think it's also quite intelligent in a lot of ways:

Everyone has some good in them. Everyone has some bad in them. But some bad is worse than other bad. Everyone's got a back story and you should understand where they are coming from. But that doesn't mean they aren't ass holes. You should try to avoid confrontation. But if you always avoid it, it only makes things worse. No one system is perfect and you can lear from a different system (very Bruce Lee). Girls can fight guys, but that's not always a good thing. I even like the way it addresses current woke/inclusion issues, but makes fun it, but does it through the idiot character. All the while it has a very inclusive cast.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [Buster Scrugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buster Scrugs wrote:
logella wrote:

I never said it was rational in anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Couldn’t make it through 10 minutes of S4. The writing, the acting, it’s all too much. Can’t do it anymore. I did get online to see a review of the season and I’ll say I’m happy I saved the time of watching it.

It is getting worse, and not in a good way.

In the first 3 seasons almost all the actors were implausibly unathletic, chubby, and looked like they didn't even take accelerated "studio" classes in martial arts to pretend like they were faking it. Particularly the entire LaRusso family.

It's even worse in season 4, almost like they're trolling the audience.

The Johnny Lawrence character is the only reason to keep watching.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up on expecting realism from cheesy action movies a long time ago.

My favorite (alleged) quote is from Peter Jackson to Sean Aston:

Sean: "If we're in a cave, where is the light supposed to be coming from?"
Peter: "The same place as the music."

Edit: Having said that, the fighters ARE pretty bad. I recently commented that the original Karate kid only needed one person who could fight and act (Zabka). Larusso was supposed to be awkward, and the rest of the Cobra Kai fighters had minimal speaking parts.

By contrast, this series has a LOT of speaking parts, so they focussed more on getting actors than fighters.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Last edited by: BarryP: Jan 6, 22 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it’s bad. But it’s good bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
It is getting worse, and not in a good way.

In the first 3 seasons almost all the actors were implausibly unathletic, chubby, and looked like they didn't even take accelerated "studio" classes in martial arts to pretend like they were faking it. Particularly the entire LaRusso family.

It's even worse in season 4, almost like they're trolling the audience.

The Johnny Lawrence character is the only reason to keep watching.
I guess you never saw a Steven Segal movie.

To me...i never even questioned this part. i had assumed that this is what most karate classes look like. Outcasts that tried soccer>field hockey>musical instrument, etc, video game kids that their parent demand that they get out of the house once a day with mom dropping them off as she goes to a nearby yoga class and sprinkled with a few kids that actually want to be there
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
To me...i never even questioned this part. i had assumed that this is what most karate classes look like. Outcasts that tried soccer>field hockey>musical instrument, etc, video game kids that their parent demand that they get out of the house once a day with mom dropping them off as she goes to a nearby yoga class and sprinkled with a few kids that actually want to be there

It is. Like I took Kung Fu for a few years around that age (as a nerd, before I discovered endurance sport). I think it's an accurate representation of how you start. But as anything in life, you transform as you gain proficiency.

I think the most of the kids are OK in this regard. The actor who plays Hawk tries. Same with the actress who plays Tory. They look like scrappers.

My issues the ones that are supposed to be good. Daniel LaRusso, a lifelong pracitioner, is awful. His daughter Samantha who's supposed to be really good, is bad. My biggest beef is Miguel, supposedly the best - reigning All Valley champ. He's matured physically, but just gotten even more soft and unathletic looking in S4. I guess he's just getting over a serious back injury though?

I understand "bad" movies. I'm a huge "Army of Darkness" fan. The dude with a chainsaw for an arm. But even "bad" has to have the right kind of "bad." I'm not sure Cobra Kai is the right kind of bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on Jonny. He has been the best part. Danny L sucks as an actor. I even can't stand the way he walks. Weird, I know, but it still bothers me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobra Kai? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Season 5 is being released today/tonight
Quote Reply

Prev Next