Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post marathon gut issues
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies,
I ran a marathon last Sunday. It was a PR for me, so I worked hard all day. The night after the race, we went out to celebrate and I had a big meal and a couple of beers.
My GI has not felt great since race day. I've been bloated, had bad gas and generally just felt kind of gross. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue before. It kind of makes sense that my gut would be unhappy about the effort, sports nutrition and post race indulgence, but I'm still hoping to get some insight or solutions.
Many thanks!

http://www.tri-ingtokeepwarm.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post marathon gut issues [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your PR!

I wonder if some of the issues might be caused by a different exercise schedule post-marathon. Presumably you went from a fair amount of activity... which helps keep our GI systems pretty happy... to a week of fairly low activity.

I'd try to get some probiotics and fermented foods - kombucha, activa yogurt, yakult drinks - those are my go-tos when my tummy is unhappy.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Post marathon gut issues [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GI hasn't felt great since March 2011. That's when I noticed any level of physical exertion makes my belly swell like a woman three to six months pregnant. I notice it more so after a run. I don't know if your symptoms are due to the effort or what you ate. I'm banking on it being the effort.
Quote Reply