Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations
Quote | Reply
any folks have interesting/ useful techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations on multiple lap courses?

Looking at Texas course I see the third loop of the run being an issue running into people walking the aid stations.

Any useful strategies out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yell out what you want as you're approaching, this lets people know that you're in a hurry and hopefully a volunteer will come to you. About all you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done IMTX several times (3x) and volunteered there every other year (and again this year), it's not an issue. Skip the first table or two, call out what you need and you should be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this. Skip table one and go for one of the following. If it is really crowded just don't stress, slow down and get what you need. Above all don't be a dick.
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
I agree with this. Skip table one and go for one of the following. If it is really crowded just don't stress, slow down and get what you need. Above all don't be a dick.

And for the love of Mary, say please and thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Brett runs wrote:

And for the love of Mary, say please and thank you.
Absolutely this, general rule of thumb, dont be a dick, and dont kid yourself that by trying to grab that bottle at full speed will save you any time because when that bottle gets dropped its much worse. You may be confident enough to do it, but that volunteer most definitely is not and will panic because people have been slinging bottles at them all day. Just be calm and look for a less crowded area.
Quote Reply
Re: Techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations [A_Hooligan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize now you said run course so not quite the same, but still, keeping calm and being polite is always a good idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
any folks have interesting/ useful techniques for dealing with crowded aid stations on multiple lap courses?

Looking at Texas course I see the third loop of the run being an issue running into people walking the aid stations.

Any useful strategies out there?

as others have said. avoid first table. after that just slow down a bit. I doubt slowing for a few seconds will kill your race. I've never had much issue navigation around walkers at the aid stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto what everyone says. If it's important to you, you'll slow down to get that nutrition. Just be courteous to others behind you and keep moving. Also, thank the volunteers!

"Heart Rate, Watts, I have no idea, I race, I don't pace." Andrew Starykowicz
Quote Reply