Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim funk
Quote | Reply
Afternoon all

To keep this short the run and bike are going great at the moment (at least for me). Every time I see a swim session on training peaks however my mojo is very much dampened...

So my question is how did the fishes among us learn to stop worrying and love the swim. I'm looking to try and enjoy it - so any comments of HTFU may be missing the point. Bit of background learnt to swim as a child but not competitively so have self taught FC over the last 2 years and now have a CSS of 1:38 last tested - a work in progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim funk [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU doesn't work when it comes to motivation. Motivation leads to HTFU.

For me, it's having a good training enclave (ie masters squad), never (or rarely) repeating workouts, and ignoring things like CSS.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim funk [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may have a point - i know what swims are on what day and so far have only ever swam solo - il google masters near me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a fish, but an AOS here. My schedule doesn't really work with any of the local Master's groups, so I end up doing the majority of my swimming alone - yet I've managed to improve, season to season, and keep it fun. For mid-week workouts, swimming has basically become my favourite of the three sports.

As Jason above pointed out - motivation leads to HTFU. If I have a big goal that I'm motivated to achieve, I can sit on the trainer in front of a blank wall or push through 5km swims. But that applies to all sports. But as you said, we'd rather save the HTFU for the last few sets in the workout, rather than getting to it.

For me, specifically with swimming, the biggest difference to enjoyment is making sure I progress through consistency. If I feel fast, if I feel like I'm making progress over time - and those two basically require me to swim 2-3 times a week at least - it makes the swim fun. Seeing the times drop over time, making that leave interval I'd hit, that's satisfaction just like seeing an improved FTP. If I take a week out of swimming, I feel sluggish, out of sync. If I swim every two-three days, it flows, and flow feels good.

Breaking the swim up into chunks makes it a lot easier for me. If I look at a 25x100m main set, I shudder. But if it's 5x(3x150, 50 kick), well, it's over before you know it. I know Jason just said "vary your workouts", but I like to keep a few "staples" like this workout (taken from Dan's Tarpon Challenge series, sadly offline now) in my rotation.

Otherwise, find ways to look at the swim as a positive activity. Especially as the weather gets hotter, an hour in the cool water starts to seem a lot more enticing than the oppressive heat of a run/bike. Even though I prefer swimming LCM, I can't wait for the outdoors SCM pool to open. I end a swim refreshed, while a run/bike workout leaves me drenched and dozy from the heat.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lazydoc wrote:
Afternoon all

To keep this short the run and bike are going great at the moment (at least for me). Every time I see a swim session on training peaks however my mojo is very much dampened...

So my question is how did the fishes among us learn to stop worrying and love the swim. I'm looking to try and enjoy it - so any comments of HTFU may be missing the point. Bit of background learnt to swim as a child but not competitively so have self taught FC over the last 2 years and now have a CSS of 1:38 last tested - a work in progress.

Bad swimmer here who also lacks swimming mojo at times. Things that help:
  1. Masters swimming or swimming with a friend.
  2. Varying your workouts. I found that if I do the same workout or same type of stuff repeatedly, I'm constantly comparing to the "best" times I ever did in that workout. So if I did 100's on Tuesday all under 1:40 and on Thursday I'm struggling to get under 1:45, the mind starts reminding me I suck at swimming, etc., etc. I know some fish will say there is an optimal way to train and that "just swimming" is pointless, but for us non-fish just being in the water fosters improvement so I do whatever it takes to get in there.
  3. Don't hate me for saying this one: Try different strokes. I was dead against it when I started with masters and, in fact, couldn't do any of the other strokes. However, see Number 2 above. It adds variety and it's still time in the water (remember my theory is that for bad swimmers bad time in the water is better than no time in the water). I mostly mix in backstroke, some breast, and very little butterfly because I really don't do it well. If I am going to do something butterfly related, it's kick because I feel it's a great core workout. Also, if you are doing different strokes, you are not "racing" and trying to beat all your best times. You are really just focusing on how your body is moving water which, I think, has tremendous benefits.

If none of the above motivates me, I go to the pool that also has a hot tub and treat myself to that as a reward for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim more often. And for longer if you can. Normalize it for yourself!

Plus more swimming will almost certainly result in you getting better and/or faster which is the best motivation ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim funk [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only swim once a week. I don't put a lot of emphasis on it because I don't think the gains are worth it for me (from an overall triathlon perspective). I think of swimming as "an off legs day" and just chill and do my 2500 yards. You don't have to love all 3 events. Why make yourself miserable?

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply