Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Skimmed the thread didn't really see this reply.

I'll give you one answer:

In triathlon there is no substitute for running fast which means you need a lot of run fitness, more than most people think you/they need.

Sure people will say bike smarter, bike more in training lose weight etc. Ultimately those are bullshit answers 5% answers. The 95% solution is become a better runner.

(well the lose weight may be valid but you're probably not going to go from 190 to 160 and be anywhere near healthy so, see above)

There are a ton of threads on this topic. I bet if you searched the archives you'd find the #1 answer to this question over the years has been: I solved this problem by becoming a much faster/better runner.

So insight of your comment and knowing that triathlon favors those that are runners. I know I need to become a better and faster runner. I was already planning on losing some more weight, in healthy ways.

Since I am going to be training then for Chattanooga and am already averaging 30-35miles a week running. Would you suggest continue my other training but for running go to a Hal Higdon Marathon training plan? or something completely different?

How long have you been running? Odds are 30 mpw isn't nearly enough. Were you planning on running 1:43ish for the HIM? What's your open half time? I'm 6'4" 220 (not muscular, more keg shaped). The longer the race, the more it is going to affect you. Odds are you just need to run more

I have been running for years. The past 3 years I really started to take it more seriously as I started tackling the 70.3 distance and now headed to the IM. I have averaged higher at times but the 30-35 is a week in week out everyday norm kind of week.

Yes, I was planning on running a 1:43:00. I hit my target and all of my goals. To that end I am happy. Just trying to figure out through my type A personality what am I going to have to shoot for to be a decent show at IMChatt. I figured 35miles a week wouldn't work for a IM I knew that was going to have to go up. Honestly, I thought I was going to have to put in more for the HIM to hit my goal of 1:43.

Is adding a marathon training plan to what I am doing for swim and bike a good route to take to get my mileage where it needs to be for the IM or is there a better/different way?
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:

I have been running for years. The past 3 years I really started to take it more seriously as I started tackling the 70.3 distance and now headed to the IM. I have averaged higher at times but the 30-35 is a week in week out everyday norm kind of week.

Yes, I was planning on running a 1:43:00. I hit my target and all of my goals. To that end I am happy. Just trying to figure out through my type A personality what am I going to have to shoot for to be a decent show at IMChatt. I figured 35miles a week wouldn't work for a IM I knew that was going to have to go up. Honestly, I thought I was going to have to put in more for the HIM to hit my goal of 1:43.

Is adding a marathon training plan to what I am doing for swim and bike a good route to take to get my mileage where it needs to be for the IM or is there a better/different way?

Well done for hitting YOUR goals. Keep that in mind and don't be down on your performance.

You have asked about Hil's marathon plan a few times. I think following a structured plan may work for you if you don't currently have any structure to your training. BUT it is a marathon plan and not a triathlon plan.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
I read his blog

Woah! Care to share that blog?

http://club.runthrough.co.uk/...rathon-the-build-up/
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Honestly, at 190lbs you are not going to run very fast unless you have some freak genetic talent. At least not in 10 mile+ races. But then at the same time - you are not getting beaten up by the road vibrations as much as a 150 lbs dude. So pick your poison......
Can you explain the bit in bold?
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that doesn't appear to stand up to examination!
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about the bike. A 190lbs muscled body will simply take less of a beating from the road jitter than a 150lbs body.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you hit your goals, I wouldn’t stress too much. I’m by no means a coach, but wouldn’t think throwing in a marathon plan would be a good idea. When I ran marathons in the past I was getting in 70ish mile weeks. I couldn’t imagine trying to do that while still swimming and biking. I do around 40-45 mpw for marathons and IM now, but have about 6 years of consistent base miles logged. It just takes time. Maybe look into hiring a coach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you hit your goals, I don’t think you are bleeding time; except for one person at each race, there is always someone faster. I would suggest trying not to get too caught up in others’ performance.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [Joshua_L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joshua_L wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:

Well done for hitting YOUR goals. Keep that in mind and don't be down on your performance.

You have asked about Hil's marathon plan a few times. I think following a structured plan may work for you if you don't currently have any structure to your training. BUT it is a marathon plan and not a triathlon plan.

You are right, knowing as well that there will always be someone faster, I hit MY goals and performed to what I was hoping. That and as a bigger guy it is pretty satisfying knowing that others had to chase me down to beat me. That is a win in and of itself.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
If you hit your goals, I don’t think you are bleeding time; except for one person at each race, there is always someone faster. I would suggest trying not to get too caught up in others’ performance.

Good call. I think I have to remember as well, its a hobby! One that we may take seriously, but its a hobby. Perform at your best and let the chips fall where they may.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes...as an outlier example, I got second in a race once (small
Local race of course!). My speed in each discipline is much faster now but have never come close to such a placing. That result was just pure luck because no one faster (except one guy) showed up. I say this only to underscore that Your placing is really random depending on who shows up on that day. So pick a goal time (in each sport) and let the chips fall where they may in terms of a placing.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
I read his blog

Woah! Care to share that blog?

http://club.runthrough.co.uk/...rathon-the-build-up/

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that hiring a coach was a huge help. I dropped over 8 minutes in my HIM run doing almost the same weekly mileage (45-50 mpw). A coach will make sure those miles count and the workouts are effective. In addition, I would also bump your mileage at least 10 miles per week, especially if you're attempting a full ironman and want to race the whole run. Also, remember that running, just like swimming and cycling, takes time to see huge improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I was talking about the bike. A 190lbs muscled body will simply take less of a beating from the road jitter than a 150lbs body.
Ah okay. Thought you meant the run where I'd certainly disagree.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure this is true for the bike either. Why would a heavier more muscular rider take less of a beating. The accelerations are the same, assuming comparably appropriate equipment and tyre size/pressures. A lighter rider has less inertia so the same accelerations produce less force. Similar skeleton and joints, lower muscle mass. Loading on contact points due to accelerations is going to be less for the lighter athlete and I would think their core strength is proportionally at least as good as a heavier athlete. I struggle to see where they come off worse.
Perhaps you mean the muscle mass provides a heavier athlete with additional damping? I'm not sure if that's valid or not. I could make an arguement either way but I tend to think not.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop time bleed on the run? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Know his height / weight for London?
Quote Reply

Prev Next