Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't"
Quote | Reply
https://mobile.nytimes.com/...hon-women-nurse.html

I'd really like to see some actual statistical data instead of the author's mass of anecdotes. Raw numbers for this year's Boston are that about 96.2% of women who started the race finished vs about 95% of men-- so hardly the massive difference the article's author claims.

Does anyone have a good source for actual data on this topic?
Quote Reply
Re: NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't" [maxgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also missed the biggest reason elites drop out: to save their legs for another race.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't" [maxgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxgaines wrote:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/opinion/boston-marathon-women-nurse.html

I'd really like to see some actual statistical data instead of the author's mass of anecdotes. Raw numbers for this year's Boston are that about 96.2% of women who started the race finished vs about 95% of men-- so hardly the massive difference the article's author claims.

I had the exact same thought. We're supposed to draw some grand conclusion on the difference in finishing rates of 96.2% and 95%? It seemed like a preconceived notion is search of statistical support. The article author appears to be in need of a refresher course in statistical significance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you also have to keep in mind that a lot of those pro women that suffered and finished, did so for a paycheck. Because of the much smaller field than the mens, once so many dropped out it was just finish, get a check. Not so in the mens, even with the higher drop out rate, there were still a lot of guys to get through for a check, so much easier to pull the plug and save it for another day.

We have the same dynamic is triathlon, way more men than women in competition for the $$, not to mention the delta between 1st place cash and last place in the $$. Just how it is, even with equal prize money..
Quote Reply
Re: NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't" [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is called statistically insignificant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maxgaines wrote:

It is also interesting that the author writes that in the past 7 runnings of the race, only 2/7 years had a higher dropout rate of men vs. women...this seems to contradict exactly the point that the author seems to be making. Granted, the author claims that those two years were "extreme conditions"; but there is no definition given to 'extreme conditions' or how far the other years were from these 'extreme conditions', which should be relatively easy to do. This is classic cherry picking of data. If the author wanted to actually be convincing to those who know how to read data, then it would have been presented in a convincing way. Don't take this to mean that I don't appreciate an opinion piece...I absolutely do, but there are way too many people who read these things and take the message away as an in-depth researched piece of journalism, or worse yet, proven fact...which it is not.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
maxgaines wrote:

I had trouble getting past the fat shaming of women in the beginning of the article. Despite being a man, though, I persevered to the end of the article.

My conclusion: Poorly written statistical argument by a woman means men are better at math than women.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't" [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the dumbest article I've seen in a while. Jeeeessshhh.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT opinion piece: "Why men quit and women don't" [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
It also missed the biggest reason elites drop out: to save their legs for another race.

Facts like this one don't go along with the story line the article is targeting. Shitty article.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply