Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Tomorrow, Weather same as Galveston
Quote | Reply
I man doing a 70.3 tomorrow and the weather report temperature wise is pretty similar to HIM Galveston. Main difference I will have sunshine throughout the day.

I am wondering, for those of you who chose to wear arm warmers and or gloves, how much do you think they helped in keeping you warm?

Trying to decide on what route to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Tomorrow, Weather same as Galveston [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I taped up the vents on my helmet, put on fingerless bike gloves, my running socks, and pulled a long sleeve merino mid weight top on over my tri suit for the bike, even though I may have given up some aero. It made it bearable. I think I could have done without but it would have sucked. What does the wind prediction look like? The headwind for the back half of the bike definitely made it feel even colder than it was.

With all that I was ok up top - took until mile 5 for all the feeling to come back to my feet though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With sunshine, I think it will feel vastly different than Galveston. I would recommend full fingered gloves so that you can grab water bottles, gels, etc. without fumbling around. Unless you are really prone to feeling cold, you should be fine without additional clothing. Good luck and enjoy your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Galveston and didn't do/wear anything different than I normally would. I was kinda cold on the bike and sacrificed ~:30 in T2 because of slow-moving fingers but I was fine other than that. I think it all depends on how you want to race it. If you're looking to smoke it and race a PR, I would skip the wind-breaker jackets and gloves, etc and suck it up. Also, in the last mile or two of the bike, warm your hands up by blowing on them. I forgot to do this so they were stiff. I have Raynauds though, which didn't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Galveston I went with a light but full fingered gloves. I had arm warmers and didn't put them on because I felt I was already taking too long. At first I thought it was a good decision until the bike turn around and we headed into the wind and then the added slight drizzle. In T2 I struggled to get my helmet off as figures were still cold. Looking back I should have taken the few extra seconds for the arm warmers. I have worn arm warmers in the past and they helped a lot. I really would have suffered without gloves. My cut-off for gloves vs no gloves in longer races is 55 degrees. With the sun out that should help you stay a little warmer. Everyone has individual tolerances. Maybe look back at some training rides in similar conditions to evaluate how the temps felt for what you had on if you remember. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a sleeveless tri suit, generally ok but fingers & toes went numb making for a tricky T2.

If I did it again I'd put socks & gloves on in T1.

If you're a smaller/slighter rider you might want more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Galveston with a sleeved suit. The only thing that got really cold was my hands and feet. If it will be sunny, I really wouldn't worry about it.You can probably wear gloves that will help, and toe covers on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Galveston. My recommendation is toe covers on tre bike and arm warmers. I have raced with arm warmers twice and both times I wore them under my wetsuit, so I didn’t have to put them on over wet arms. They dry up pretty quickly and keep the wind off. Having the sun will make it feel very different from Galveston though.

Quote | Reply
I raced Galveston. I changed one thing from my normal race apparel - full shoe covers. I raced a sleeved one piece kit. I never had issues with my fingers but my forearms got a little cold on my way back to T2. The shoe covers took a bit of time to get on but it was worth it to me and maybe a tad bit of aero savings. If my toes or my ears get cold, I’m toast.
Quote Reply