Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nocturnal leg cramp
Quote | Reply
I am traveling for work and went from west coast to east coast. Last night/early this morning, I caught a nasty nocturnal leg cramp in my left calf. It is pretty sensitive this morning, sore, feels knotted, and I am limping a little when I walk.

I am freaking out a little because I am doing IM Texas in one week. Up until now the train up had been fantastic and had no injuries at all.

Any tips on what do to about this? Should I be worried about this for the race? I fly back home to west coast today so will have access to my foam roller.

I am 36 if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Nocturnal leg cramp [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll be fine. YMMV ;)

(on a more serious note I used to get a few night calf cramps when I was new to training regularly. None were ever debilitating beyond one day of soreness)

See you in The Woodlands!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to be just fine. Get on the foam roller, up the fluid intake to help flush the impurities out of your system and get some stretching in.

I use to get severe hamstring cramps at night back in high school during soccer conditioning camp. the soreness goes away pretty quickly, especially if you are foam rolling, drinking water and stretching.

Get ready to dominate IMTX! Good luck racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taper madness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello rustyb04 and All,

Sleeping in tights fixes this problem for me after a hard workout and I feel better the next day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692109

http://www.2xu.com/...K_GLD-S.html#start=1

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drink tonic water.
Quote Reply
Re: Nocturnal leg cramp [MrStealYoKOMs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrStealYoKOMs wrote:
Drink tonic water.

This ^ (but NOT diet tonic, only regular)

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Nocturnal leg cramp [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
MrStealYoKOMs wrote:
Drink tonic water.

This ^ (but NOT diet tonic, only regular)

CC

On a more serious note the thought that tonic water helps with cramps is because it contains trace amounts of Quinine. I had a massage therapist (who used to work in a chiropractor office) swear by taking Quinine supplements to help with her nighttime calf/leg cramps. But after asking a couple of my doctors I see about it I decided the potential side efforts weren't worth it when it wasn't guaranteed to help me (it is typically used as a malaria drug). I sometimes would get nighttime cramps (usually when I'm dehydrated..aka drinking too much coffee, soda whatever and not much water or when I really pushed it too hard like sprinting sports aka playing football with buddies or something I'm not used to regularly doing). I still never really solved the cramping issues I've had with brick bike/run sessions and the run portions of Tri's.

Only way I've solved it the last couple of years is to not race Tri's and not do brick sessions (life got in the way and I'm taking a break...just bike focus and random running when I'm not injured or sick).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can get pretty bad cramps from time to time. Sometimes the soreness can last for a few days if they get really bad. I can still run with the soreness though. It never gets worse and I find that compression socks help the most with eliminating the discomfort.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply