Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [rosegarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at that race with my former college team coaching them. That was a real PITA when Lance got "sanctioned" and thus couldnt do the race with usat permitting. Of course our college conference needed the race to be permitted for it to count in the usat collegiate series. So thankfully the race usat permitted our olympic race and non-sanctioned the half that Lance did.

That still was the coldest I've ever been at a race. When being in the water was your warmest part of the day....brrr..I think 52 kids went to medic tent w/ hypothermia.

I didn't go to the talk that Lance gave to the college kids the night before the race, but he was very good and open with all the kids, taking all the time and pics they all wanted. They loved it, getting to talk to and meet him.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I got caught up on typical ST banter. That someone wants to add "factual accuracy" to what Livestrong is or was, is completely minor detail. To then say the vagueness of that was pretty petty when so many people have been helped and had great things to say about Livestrong (see all the other comments). It's an organization that raised a TON of money in the fight against cancer. It's a minor glitch from the poster in calling it research instead of awareness. So keep up the good fight with correcting with factual accuracy. ETA: You are correct in doing that. So have at it, when someone calls it research.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 21, 18 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
No I got caught up on typical ST banter. That someone wants to add "factual accuracy" to what Livestrong is or was, is completely minor detail. To then say the vagueness of that was pretty petty when so many people have been helped and had great things to say about Livestrong (see all the other comments). It's an organization that raised a TON of money in the fight against cancer. It's a minor glitch from the poster in calling it research instead of awareness. So keep up the good fight with correcting with factual accuracy. ETA: You are correct in doing that. So have at it, when someone calls it research.

I think he completely addressed when he started Livestrong that no one provided support for people going through the disease and also there was nothing for the loved ones to relate to as afar as understanding. Besides his very upbeat verbiage and support, the journals were provided free of charge. His book was out when I was fighting the disease and it helped me so very much in what was mentioned....the various states one goes through while diagnosed. No one told that story before. The journals provided advice and support, pages for each person to write what was going on with them, feelings, thoughts, doctor info so all around them could relate and help them along the journey. This was well before the idea of "journaling" was popular. My mother started a mastectomy group many years ago at the YWCA she ran that included support, and various water exercises specifically designed to help heal, even though she did not suffer from that disease. She did that for years and the support among the group made them friends for life. Some didn't make it.....but the Livestrong help made it all a much easier process. Sorry for the long winded response, but his aid touched me in a way few will ever experience. There is no price that can be put on such help.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
No I got caught up on typical ST banter. That someone wants to add "factual accuracy" to what Livestrong is or was, is completely minor detail. .

Indeed. It is a minor, but factual, detail.

But then you wanted to make it into a major ordeal. So not sure what you were hoping to accomplish there.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
No I got caught up on typical ST banter. That someone wants to add "factual accuracy" to what Livestrong is or was, is completely minor detail. .

Indeed. It is a minor, but factual, detail.
A pedantic correction would be more accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that race. I sacrificed a toenail for the greater good ! then finished 4th in my AG, arggh

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#survivedthecoldrain

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

doping? in cycling? on behalf of Captain Renault, I am shocked.

I got that reference, BTW; nice

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
Doesnt he have a home in Aspen also?

Yep, the podcasts during the TDF were from his home in Aspen.

I think he said they were from an RV [maybe even an Airstream] parked in someone's driveway? He called a friend of his "Our Landlord"

Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
Interestingly, this morning I listened to the stages season preview podcast. In that podcast, he talked about the trial set for May where he said something along the lines of, this trial is happening and this case cannot be settled... Sure enough, I log onto slowtwitch and find the case has indeed been settled, haha.

Yep, when they were doing the 2018 preview/rundown for the "Stages" podcast, he said something along the lines of "I'll be in court all through May ... there will be NO settlement"

He was pretty emphatic about that

But then, he was pretty emphatic that he was clean, so ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Hammer Down wrote:
his work with cancer isn't to be questioned.

Everything is opened to questioning. Which is why he stepped down in the first place.

Another question would be what gave him cancer in the first place. Dr. Ferrarri seemed to have an idea.

In regards to his work with cancer, it doesn't matter how he got it in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sean H wrote:
monty wrote:
Well good for him, hope someone is buying his weed capsules. I was looking at his website and scrolling down and saw the " Not WADA Unapproved". Is it just me, or was someone hitting the gel tabs a little hard before writing that? (-;

But what the hell does"Not wada unapproved" mean?? Do you have to be high to figure it out??

It’s the opposite of the opposite of wada approved

Double-speak

We're living the REAL version of 1984, if you hadn't noticed

Maybe a 1984 vs Idiocracy mashup?

DoublePlus UnGood

Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is wondering; I still wear my Livestrong Band

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4038970#p4038970

RandMart wrote:
Got one when they first appeared; wore it till it snapped one day. Got another one right away, wearing it now

My dad was buried wearing his; I'll keep wearing mine in his memory

Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, when they were doing the 2018 preview/rundown for the "Stages" podcast, he said something along the lines of "I'll be in court all through May ... there will be NO settlement"

He was pretty emphatic about that //

Well isn't that exactly what one would say if they felt that had a winning case, and you wanted to convey to the other side you were willing to go to the mat to actually win? I'm sure each side did their postering, and in the end each side kind of knew who would win in a protracted legal battle. Lawyers first, then Lance. Lance wins, everyone else loses big(except his lawyers). This way Lance certainly saves on future Lawyer fees, saves tons of time away from family, and can finally move on in his head a year or two earlier..
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

He was pretty emphatic about that //

Well isn't that exactly what one would say if they felt that had a winning case, and you wanted to convey to the other side you were willing to go to the mat to actually win? I'm sure each side did their postering, and in the end each side kind of knew who would win in a protracted legal battle. Lawyers first, then Lance. Lance wins, everyone else loses big(except his lawyers). This way Lance certainly saves on future Lawyer fees, saves tons of time away from family, and can finally move on in his head a year or two earlier..

Maybe it was legal posturing, or maybe it was a reaction to the settlement terms that were being presented by the plaintiff at the time. Either way, it's completely understandable, given the stakes involved.

He talked briefly about the settlement in the podcast released this weekend, indicating he's known for a couple of weeks it was coming, but couldn't say anything, and that he was generally satisfied with the terms. The fact that the government settled for 1/20th of their original damages requested shows how much of an over-reach they knew that amount was.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Catching up on Lance news since this story broke. It appears his oldest, Luke, is playing football for Rice as an OL. Interesting he's so big with very slight parents. I wonder if he got a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I previously asked who the real winner was in this case...new development.

The real winner will be the person who wants to live in DC for free for the month of May as he stated on his podcast he can't get that money back. So anyone out there need a place to stay in DC, you have a free option on Lance!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I previously asked who the real winner was in this case...new development.

The real winner will be the person who wants to live in DC for free for the month of May as he stated on his podcast he can't get that money back. So anyone out there need a place to stay in DC, you have a free option on Lance!

I did briefly check my calendar to see if I had any free time in May for a potential visit to DC, LOL!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [danstark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand how the government even thinks he owes them anything. - they got their money worth. The man made millions for all his sponsors. Everybody was doping - why do the they find he is the one to go after. Of course it would have been a perfect work if he had not and he just followed in a former president - deny - deny - deny. I still loved watching him and would ride with him anytime - if he would ride slow
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [danstark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next