Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gun for Elk [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I gather that was 'tongue in cheek' ? In the business of hunting men who can shoot back no one here seeks to give them a 'sporting chance.' We're interested in as decidedly a unfair advantage as we can achieve.

I've hunted elk up in the Collegiate Peaks area above Buena Vista and Leadville. It's tough terrain and the flatlanders are huffing and puffing.

OP: 30-06 will 'get er done' just fine although the caliber is dated and others have pointed you towards some newer cartridges that offer superior ballistics. A often overlooked rifle on the cheapish side that is really a bargain is Savage's 110 series rifle. It's strong, light, cheap and surprisingly accurate right out of the box. You're probably not gonna shoot MOA with one but it will be easy on the pocket book, save you some $$ for good glass, and be easier to carry at altitude relative to some of its more spendy cousins
/r

i try not to lay my trip on anyone else. i have my own sensibilities and while i'm always interested in how others think, i don't think my way is the way. just, when i read about the scope, and about how far you can be from the beast and still kill him, and while my sense of the rightness of it all is mine alone, it seems less than sporting to me.

years ago i lived in the sierra nevadas and there was a particular place where i knew i was likely to see mule deer. so, i'd see one, and the thing about mule deer, they aren't like old west bank robbers, where they decide to split up if getting chased. they do the opposite. they run to the herd. so, 1 became 6, became 20, but it might take me running over 3 mountains and 45 minutes to get to a herd of 60 or 70. i could get to within, say, 30 or 40 feet of them. and then they'd take off, and where they ended up in 30 seconds would take me 15 minutes to get to.

and at that point i'd turn around and head back and that was my long run. but, getting that close, i earned it, and it was cool, a sense of accomplishment, and getting that close to those magnificent animals in the wild. earning it in that way resonates with me. so, were i king of the world, i'd probably makes you all hunt with bullets that self destructed after a hundred yards. but i'm not the king of the world and thank god for the world that i'm not.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I grew up hunting in Sierra just S of Yosemite--up above Oakhurst but never saw that phenomena among mule deer.

Criticism of hunters often runs towards a line of comment that talks to use of scopes, repeating weapons, extended ranges, etc. Hunters usually counter with numbers to show that it's their hunting fees and licenses that fund wildlife management and protection. It's a never ending debate.

I think many who hunt go thru various phases along the lines of the aesthetics involved in the endeavor. When bow hunting I will not attempt a shot beyond 30m because that's the limit of my assuredness of getting the arrow to hit what I want. Any further than that--for me--would not be fair to the deer. I'm currently (well when I'm home I am) building a flintlock rifle patterned after the French and Indian War era of American Long Rifle building/art. Think "Last of the Mohicans." I hope to have it finished by next deer season and achieve enough proficiency with it to take it hunting--not just during blackpowder season but throughout deer season.

take good care

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At that time I lived in Reno. These runs took place between Reno and Truckee, in the hills above the truckee river drainage.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i try not to lay my trip on anyone else. i have my own sensibilities and while i'm always interested in how others think, i don't think my way is the way. just, when i read about the scope, and about how far you can be from the beast and still kill him, and while my sense of the rightness of it all is mine alone, it seems less than sporting to me.

Are you trying to be sporting? Or are you trying to get yourself some meat?

I fish. Sure, it would be a hell of a lot more sporting if I got in the water and grabbed them with my bare hands. But I, sure as shit, ain't doing that.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
At that time I lived in Reno. These runs took place between Reno and Truckee, in the hills above the truckee river drainage.

Also, this shit belongs in the Tri forum. Don't make me ban your sorry ass.

Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron beat me to it, but I would opt for a .300WM. A Remington 700 or a Bergara B14 would be the best value.

Scope wise the Vortex PST line generation 2 scopes are hard to beat, the gen 1s are not bad either. The magnification on that line go up to 25x. The lifetime warranty is no questions asked and applies even if you are the 1st, second, or 5th owner. The clarity on the glass is superb and I own Leupold MK4 and the Vortex Razor line.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I fish. Sure, it would be a hell of a lot more sporting if I got in the water and grabbed them with my bare hands. But I, sure as shit, ain't doing that.

If it’s just about meat, Costco! If you want to catch a fish easy, trout farm.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Some people like to shoot their own meat. Why does it have to be more difficult? They have to carry the damned meat out of the woods, lets give them a break on how close they are to the meat when they shoot it.

Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Some people like to shoot their own meat. Why does it have to be more difficult? They have to carry the damned meat out of the woods, lets give them a break on how close they are to the meat when they shoot it.

i'm not here to lay my trip on anyone. that's just how i see it. not how i think it need to be for others. fishing is also easier if you throw a grenade in the lake, if it's all about making it less difficult.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i'm not here to lay my trip on anyone. that's just how i see it. not how i think it need to be for others. fishing is also easier if you throw a grenade in the lake, if it's all about making it less difficult.

You need to watch Mythbusters more often. grenades probably wouldn't be all that effective.

MythBusters Episode 34: Bulletproof Water
Premier Date: July 13, 2005
Hiding underwater can stop bullets from hitting you.
PARTLY CONFIRMED
All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 m) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I've done a lot of spearfishing in the Bahamas (always for fish for eating). What I love about the sport is that in the Bahamas it's illegal to use scuba gear or a speargun. You have to breath-hold and use a Hawaiian sling (arm power only and no line attached to the spear). Getting a big grouper at 40-50 feet deep is a significant challenge! I once speared a good size yellowfin tuna that happened to swim by. It swam away with my spear... I once had a shark rip a fish right off the spear too as I was swimming back to the surface. That's a sport!
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I've done a lot of spearfishing in the Bahamas (always for fish for eating). What I love about the sport is that in the Bahamas it's illegal to use scuba gear or a speargun. You have to breath-hold and use a Hawaiian sling (arm power only and no line attached to the spear). Getting a big grouper at 40-50 feet deep is a significant challenge! I once speared a good size yellowfin tuna that happened to swim by. It swam away with my spear... I once had a shark rip a fish right off the spear too as I was swimming back to the surface. That's a sport!

perfect.

in my youth i spent a month camping with college buddies on a beach in belize. this was in the 70s. same thing. fished with a pole spear, free diving, for our food every day.

except you couldn't even legally use a pole spear for lobsters. you had to either grab them by hand, or use what the locals called a hook stick, which was (according to memory) like a 3-aught fish hook wrapped to a small steel rod about 3 feet long. the locals slid it under the lobster's belly and then turned it hook up and hooked it in the belly. i couldn't get the hang of it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
I gather that was 'tongue in cheek' ? In the business of hunting men who can shoot back no one here seeks to give them a 'sporting chance.' We're interested in as decidedly a unfair advantage as we can achieve.

I've hunted elk up in the Collegiate Peaks area above Buena Vista and Leadville. It's tough terrain and the flatlanders are huffing and puffing.

OP: 30-06 will 'get er done' just fine although the caliber is dated and others have pointed you towards some newer cartridges that offer superior ballistics. A often overlooked rifle on the cheapish side that is really a bargain is Savage's 110 series rifle. It's strong, light, cheap and surprisingly accurate right out of the box. You're probably not gonna shoot MOA with one but it will be easy on the pocket book, save you some $$ for good glass, and be easier to carry at altitude relative to some of its more spendy cousins
/r

years ago i lived in the sierra nevadas and there was a particular place where i knew i was likely to see mule deer. so, i'd see one, and the thing about mule deer, they aren't like old west bank robbers, where they decide to split up if getting chased. they do the opposite. they run to the herd. so, 1 became 6, became 20, but it might take me running over 3 mountains and 45 minutes to get to a herd of 60 or 70. i could get to within, say, 30 or 40 feet of them. and then they'd take off, and where they ended up in 30 seconds would take me 15 minutes to get to.

and at that point i'd turn around and head back and that was my long run. but, getting that close, i earned it, and it was cool, a sense of accomplishment, and getting that close to those magnificent animals in the wild. earning it in that way resonates with me. so, were i king of the world, i'd probably makes you all hunt with bullets that self destructed after a hundred yards. but i'm not the king of the world and thank god for the world that i'm not.

Curious as to the time of year that you were harassing and assaulting these innocent animals with your sick game of hunt and stalk?

J/k :) But seriously, what time of year?

About all we have here in Idaho are Mule deer (very few whitetail in the northern part of the state) and I have not seen these sort of behaviors during a rifle hunting season. Now during the rut, yes, things change. The Bucks are semen filled idiots, herding mentality is in force, etc. But you aren't allowed to rifle hunt deer during that season. The rut is reserved for bow hunters, who yes, have to get within 30-40 yards to have a decent shot.

By the time general rifle season rolls around there is no herd mentality. The Bucks have scattered their seed and headed for the high country and they don't give a flying F about anyone but themselves. The bastards will send the few women following them around out first, but at the first sign of the coast not being clear they are out and not taking any friends with them. Those of us not lucky enough to draw one of the few doe tags have to hunt our asses off or hope for a young, dumb buck who is still following the women around. There certainly isn't any opportunity to scope out a herd of 20 deer from 500 yards, pick the best buck and kill him.

Similar situation with elk, big groups during the rut with bulls competing for females. Then the bow hunters get to come in and kill all the good bulls. The bulls that are left take their groupies and separate from the herd during rifle season. Then once it gets cold and snowy enough they herd back up, but that is long past any general rifle season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

If you want a bike, Wal Mart...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Slowman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:

perfect.

in my youth i spent a month camping with college buddies on a beach in belize. this was in the 70s. same thing. fished with a pole spear, free diving, for our food every day.

except you couldn't even legally use a pole spear for lobsters. you had to either grab them by hand, or use what the locals called a hook stick, which was (according to memory) like a 3-aught fish hook wrapped to a small steel rod about 3 feet long. the locals slid it under the lobster's belly and then turned it hook up and hooked it in the belly. i couldn't get the hang of it.

Cool stuff. Wonder if there are any fish worth spearing off the beach in Belize these days. Hopefully so.

That's tough for crawfish. I never used that technique myself - certainly an added challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

/r

Curious as to the time of year that you were harassing and assaulting these innocent animals with your sick game of hunt and stalk?

J/k :) But seriously, what time of year?

About all we have here in Idaho are Mule deer (very few whitetail in the northern part of the state) and I have not seen these sort of behaviors during a rifle hunting season. Now during the rut, yes, things change. The Bucks are semen filled idiots, herding mentality is in force, etc. But you aren't allowed to rifle hunt deer during that season. The rut is reserved for bow hunters, who yes, have to get within 30-40 yards to have a decent shot.

By the time general rifle season rolls around there is no herd mentality. The Bucks have scattered their seed and headed for the high country and they don't give a flying F about anyone but themselves. The bastards will send the few women following them around out first, but at the first sign of the coast not being clear they are out and not taking any friends with them. Those of us not lucky enough to draw one of the few doe tags have to hunt our asses off or hope for a young, dumb buck who is still following the women around. There certainly isn't any opportunity to scope out a herd of 20 deer from 500 yards, pick the best buck and kill him.

Similar situation with elk, big groups during the rut with bulls competing for females. Then the bow hunters get to come in and kill all the good bulls. The bulls that are left take their groupies and separate from the herd during rifle season. Then once it gets cold and snowy enough they herd back up, but that is long past any general rifle season.

what time of year? this i don't remember. it was 4 decades ago. but that behavior was pretty routine. dependable. as long as they continued to run uphill i was fine. but when we got to a tall crest, and they took off bounding downhill, off piste, to the bottom of some canyon way below, that was the end the line for me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember to buy some good binoculars. There may be times where you sit on a perch somewhere and glass the woods for elk. You will likely spend a lot more time looking through your binoculars than your rifle scope. A pair of $200 binoculars is better for searching for game than a $2000 rifle scope.

I've never elk hunted but spent a lot of time deer hunting. I can't tell you the number of times that I saw deer through binoculars that I would not have seen with my bare eyes. Be sure to get a binocular harness too as it will save your shoulders and neck when carrying the binoculars.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun for Elk [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's one thing I have already.
Quote Reply

Prev Next