Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP R. Lee Ermy
Quote | Reply
Semper Fi Gunny!

R. Lee Ermy has passed away from complications from pneumonia. His Drill Instructor GySgt Hartman character brought a little slice of Marine Corps bootcamp into many lives.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Apr 15, 18 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: RIP R. Lee Ermy [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked his style,I did meet him several years ago he was a genuine nice guy
for a Jarhead;-)
I say that in a very repectful way, as a Navy lifer guy who spent a decent amount of time with Marines.
Godspeed Gunny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Semper Fi Gunny!

R. Lee Ermy has passed away from complications from pneumonia. His Drill Instructor GySgt Hartman character brought a little slice of Marine Corps bootcamp into many lives.

Damn! I loved that guy. The siege of Firebase Gloria, The Boys in Company C (he was a DI in that one, as well) and his signal role in Full Metal Jacket were just a few of the military oriented roles he played. But he could do comedy just fine (Saving Silverman) and just about any other character (plenty of voice characters), too. Just an all-around great guy and Marine. And his Mail Call series was a must-watch. Fair winds and following seas, Gunny. :-(

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing on the Glock website--he was a spokesman for them.

RIP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still remember seeing Full Metal Jacket in the theater when it first came out and being jolted back in my seat by the shot of him (from Jokers perspective) with eyes and neck veins popping out "I got your name! I got your ass! You will not laugh! You will not cry!"

He was also good as Bill Bowerman in Prefontaine. RIP.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP Gunny
I love his "Lock n' Load" videos on youtube
Quote Reply
Re: RIP R. Lee Ermy [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I still remember seeing Full Metal Jacket in the theater when it first came out and being jolted back in my seat by the shot of him (from Jokers perspective) with eyes and neck veins popping out "I got your name! I got your ass! You will not laugh! You will not cry!"

He was also good as Bill Bowerman in Prefontaine. RIP.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of work already mentioned also enjoyed mail call . He did some stuff it that show that looked flat out fun.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: RIP R. Lee Ermy [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:

Stone cold DI, right there. The "Hats" were tough as nails. They went through their own version of "DI boot camp" that would make most people crumple, all so they could head to the "drill field" and create future Marines. And they were often employed to help create more than a few future Navy officers and various Navy folks in Marine Corps-specific schools. I remember being at Newport RI on temporary additional duty and watching the Naval Academy Prep School candidates during their first few days of indoctrination. They had Marine Corps DIs "assisting" them. Man, was that something to see. Hahahahahahaha!

Ermey medically retired as a Staff Sergeant (Staff NCO), but he was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant (honorary) by the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Really, he never acted out of character for a DI from the era depicted in Full Metal Jacket and the The Boys in Company C (though that one was a bit looser with the actual MCRD experience, from what some of the former Hats I served with tell me).

He was using his "DI voice" in that whole boot camp sequence in Full Metal Jacket, too. That way of talking, or giving commands of preparation and execution, is different from the "normal" way of talking. More from deep in the chest and then it erupts and creates an assault on your physical senses. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: RIP R. Lee Ermy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has spent 13 weeks in Parris Island or San Diego has been on the receiving end of a classic DI ass chewing, where your DI is saying the funniest and harshest shit and you had best not so much as crack a smile, lest ye be thrashed. Even if you're not the direct recipient of an ass chewing, those might have been the hardest to not laugh at at times.

I must've watched FMJ 100 times before reported to bootcamp. I haven't watched The Boys of Company C since the mid-80's, I didn't realize Ermy was in that cast, I'll have to watch it again now!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Anyone who has spent 13 weeks in Parris Island or San Diego has been on the receiving end of a classic DI ass chewing, where your DI is saying the funniest and harshest shit and you had best not so much as crack a smile, lest ye be thrashed. Even if you're not the direct recipient of an ass chewing, those might have been the hardest to not laugh at at times.

I must've watched FMJ 100 times before reported to bootcamp. I haven't watched The Boys of Company C since the mid-80's, I didn't realize Ermy was in that cast, I'll have to watch it again now!

Yeah, every former DI I knew said they tried to make you future Marines laugh, all so they could then cycle you into a puddle of sweat. God bless the Marine Corps. :-)

Ermey played a DI named "Staff Sergeant Loyce" (I think that's how his last name was spelled) for the MCRD sequence in The Boys in Company C. Hard-bitten Vietnam vet who was trying to make sure his recruit platoon would be ready to go to Vietnam eventually. It was a bit cliched when it got to the Vietnam part, I thought. But a good movie, nonetheless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

For my Marines in the audience (and my FMF Corpsmen) I may or may not have been responsible for this kind of situation.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: RIP R. Lee Ermy [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
mck414 wrote:

For my Marines in the audience (and my FMF Corpsmen) I may or may not have been responsible for this kind of situation.

There's always one guy in the company that can't keep his sh*t squared away. And for that, everyone must pay. ;-)

Quote Reply