Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Screw this weather [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mop wrote:
Michigan had a nice Spring last year, I think it was on a Tuesday.

This has truly been a terrible year in the upper midwest. Literally 2 weekend days in 2018 where it was 40ish & not snow/rain/sleet/frogs coming down. Just landed @ LAX for 2 weeks. Sitting in Manhattan Beach watching waves while (my) former locals are complaining about the wind. Having a hard time feeling sorry for them.

Though I spend 80-90 hours a week at work, and am relatively immune to whats going on outside aside from the 10-20 minute commute, there is something especially sucky about this year. I left the midwest 22 years ago for CA. Being back here is an exercise in WTF daily.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snow on my car out at the airport last night, where full-on aircraft deicing was up and running. Some years, Michigan springs suck like sucking has never sucked before. This is one of them:

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mop wrote:

Today is January the 106th. Die Winter, JUST DIE!
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
mop wrote:

Today is January the 106th. Die Winter, JUST DIE!

We got more snow again last night. 90 mm of precipitation in the past 3 days.

When is that global warming thing going to come to Southern Ontario?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nooooooo! ;-)

“The temperature drop is in keeping with a prediction made 35 years ago by physicist Leona Woods Marshall Libby that temperatures would rise in the 1980s and 1990s, then fall. She is the woman who developed the tree ring method used in climatology to measure temperatures thousands of years ago. ‘Easily one to two degrees,” she told the Los Angeles Times in 1979. ‘And maybe even three or four degrees. It takes only 10 degrees to bring on an Ice Age.'”

Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for us, the whole earth is warming up. Just not in the Great Lakes region.

That's a cruel, cruel joke.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Unfortunately for us, the whole earth is warming up. Just not in the Great Lakes region.

Yeah you look at most every heat map and the whole world has a yellow/orange hue to indicate warmer than average anomaly for a period of time. Then over the Great Lakes and eastern US there is a blue splotch.

Like this one from Feb 2015. Fuckers. I'm pretty sure that is why the US is full of climate change denying. It is all about us, don't know what the rest of you are complaining about.

But WTF am I doing having to scrape a 1/4" of ice off of my windshield on April 17th?

And again from 2014 - http://www.climatecentral.org/...year-on-record-18041

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make up your mind!

Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the weather has claimed another victim.

Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yeah you look at most every heat map and the whole world has a yellow/orange hue to indicate warmer than average anomaly for a period of time. Then over the Great Lakes and eastern US there is a blue splotch.

Like this one from Feb 2015. Fuckers. I'm pretty sure that is why the US is full of climate change denying. It is all about us, don't know what the rest of you are complaining about.

But WTF am I doing having to scrape a 1/4" of ice off of my windshield on April 17th?

And again from 2014 - http://www.climatecentral.org/...year-on-record-18041

Lord, here comes the global warming thing again. LOL! :-)

I'd say get to work convincing India and China, to name just two nations, to cut back on their carbon emissions, which they of course won't do and which most developing nations will refuse to do as well, not without trillions of dollars in wealth transfers from the US and other Western nations to them, that is. Also, I think US carbon emissions were at their lowest in 25 years, as of June 2017, according to Reuters.

Besides all that, I'm still not convinced that wind and solar energy are all that sustainable, for obvious reasons. To me, a better argument can be made for increasing nuclear power, if we're worried about carbon emissions from coal and oil-fired power plants to power our electrical grid. Maybe that will change as improvements to solar panels and windmills and storage capacity come online. I'm hopeful in that regard.

You-all know my feelings about all this stuff. And most Americans (including yours truly) rank global warming as a low priority, though they accept it for fact. Personally, I'll be out in my backyard again tonight, releasing about 10 CFC-filled aerosol cans into the atmosphere to speed that warming up. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is interesting how the great lakes region has generally been colder. Is there somewhere that allows one to aggregate their own data? IE can I build my own maps to see the last 10 years only for Jan to April?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Mid April and we won't even hit 80F today. That sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here in Vegas, we are freezing with below-average temperatures and won't reach the 70's. At least we have full-blown sun! Where is my parka?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this weather [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it sucks for us that WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

And yet here we are stuck in the one ace not getting warm weather in winter and spring. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW worth, our growing went from 3a to 2b according to environment Canada, oddly in the red shaded area to boot. So yeah, cute graph. Also, we were always zone 3 til recently. Fucking climate change.
Quote Reply

Prev Next