Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what Gomez and Ali at the front of the race early will do is cause those that dont swim front pack (I'm pointing to you Sebi and LS), to burn many more matches than what they've likely ever burned before. As a few people above pointed out....These both have 2 things going for them that is your point.....These guys will be at the front of the swim and bike. They aren't going to be "chasing" IE wasting energy. It will actually to me showcase more patience by them to drive the pace "just hard enough", so that the chase group doesnt think they are burning matches, but then when they hit the run, they are dead by 10k into the run. I think that'll be the fun part in this, that if they can pace the bike correctly, they basically dont really have to do too much. They can "sit in" and push the pace enough to fry the legs of others and if they are at the front or very near the front coming into T2....well it's pretty much game over 9.9 out of 10 times. I've just contended that it'll take a few opportunities to get it right by them. Not that they wont, just that it'll take some time and wont be crushing Kona 1st time out. I'm willing to say that even as good and complete athletes as they are now, that it takes some experience to win Kona, 95% of the time.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Lionel is going to make the front pack within the next 2 years. Well the old front pack anyways. Maybe there's a new front pack with these fast swimmers joining up with Josh. Which might mean they're putting out more effort on the swim than they'd like. Meanwhile Lionel is able to sit in with the old front pack and come out way more fresh than last year when he lead the 2nd pack almost the whole swim. He really just needs to find a few more seconds per 100 in his take out speed and he'll be able to stay latched onto that old front pack. And he'll have those speedplay aero pedals, so watch out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ali Brownlee - IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LS is going to make the front pack? Or the old front pack in 2 years you think? Would be one of the most amazing improvements from where he was to where he goes.

Was that all in pink?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 19, 18 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan would have won his first Kona if not for a flat, execution and nutrition weren't lacking. I also think the statistics are gonna be a bit skewed as Jan, Alistair and Gomez are all incredibly meticulous about their training and planning, and therefore are more ready for Kona as a rookie compared to the others.
TRO Saracen also said something important, that both of them have 10k times to make 2:40s feel slow. Alistair would likely run sub 2:20 for an open marathon and probably closer to 2:15. That is 32-33 min average 10k which makes the 38 min he needs for a new run record feel veeery slow.
There have been a few super fast runners, like Bustos who ran a 2:16 open marathon, but none that could also run and bike extremely well. I think that if conditions are good and they are forced to go hard, we may likely see a low 2:30 run. If not in Kona, then def someplace cooler. Like if they did Roth.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve said this before, AB biggest weakness going to IM is finding or creating a great squad...and if he actually has the motivation to race Kona.

Frodeno’s coach dan larang actually mentioned that transitioning from ITU/federation support to...basically all on your own while paying for coaching etc and finding good partners is the most difficult thing.

I think Gomez has transitioned well, obviously AB has the talent...I just don’t see him in the same conversation as Gomez in a few years. Re Kona.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next