Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sleeveless? If so I definitely followed your toes for a while. You kind of dropped me in the canal.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure what you consider elite but i've had a number of ~10 hour folks negative split their OTB marys. Part of it is because of the warning i give them "dont start running hard till 16". Super ideal pacing possibly is a positive split but for new folks always better to err on the conservative side for the first half.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I have a sleeved Roka. Honestly sighting is not my strength, and I would say it was average in this race, so I found myself off to the side of the main pack a bunch. My stroke has been lopsided since I smacked my head on a bulkhead in college (no joke) doing butterfly sprints, so if I don't sight every 10-15 strokes or so I tend to veer off course. Something to work on.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
sch340 wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
Congratulations! How do you think you would have finished if you started off running 7:30s (or faster)?

Thanks! That's a really good question and one I am not sure I have the answer to. The "easy" part for me only lasted 3-4 miles until I started to put in a little bit more effort, so it may not have affected me that much. But I think that it helped me calm down after the bike and allowed me to be mentally refreshed for the remainder of the run. If I were to do it again, knowing that I had to run a 3:17 or under, I probably would have maybe started 5-10 seconds per mile faster; 7:30 might have been a little too risky.

Did you feel like you finished with something left in the tank? I'm going to guess not.

Remember, when you start to slow down, it almost never occurs as a small incremental (linear) drop in pace.[/quote]

Funny you should say this as generally my experience has been the exact opposite, e.g. i go from say 7:30/mi to 7:40 to 7:50, etc. Maybe this is not the usual case but that's the way it has always worked for me. Don't know whether that is good or bad???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
Remember, when you start to slow down, it almost never occurs as a small incremental (linear) drop in pace.[/quote]

Funny you should say this as generally my experience has been the exact opposite, e.g. i go from say 7:30/mi to 7:40 to 7:50, etc. Maybe this is not the usual case but that's the way it has always worked for me. Don't know whether that is good or bad???

Sorry, I should clarify.

What you say can certainly be true where early pacing might be be marginally poor but it's more about overall first half pacing just not being sustainable for this specific athlete. This is more typical with someone who has a few IMs under their belt. My statement is trying to stress the potential ramifications of solidly poor pacing early in the run when you're typically dealing with someone who is new to IM. When the wheels start to come off, the drop is typically more drastic.

There is a clear indication that sch340 is probably more unique for a first timer. The problem is that you just don't know that until he does one.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
lakerfan wrote:

Sorry, I should clarify.
What you say can certainly be true where early pacing might be be marginally poor but it's more about overall first half pacing just not being sustainable for this specific athlete. This is more typical with someone who has a few IMs under their belt. My statement is trying to stress the potential ramifications of solidly poor pacing early in the run when you're typically dealing with someone who is new to IM. When the wheels start to come off, the drop is typically more drastic.

There is a clear indication that sch340 is probably more unique for a first timer. The problem is that you just don't know that until he does one.

Ah, i see, thanks for the clarification.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Is an Ironman run fade inevitable? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's brilliant. Well done and well earned. Takes a lot of fortitude to hold back early like that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next