Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training and fertility
Quote | Reply
Trying to train for an IM and make a baby at the same time. Internet literature suggests that IM training (mix of intensive workouts and long, less intensive workouts) decreases fertility. Any suggestions on whether to cut back and how much to cut back would be very helpful? P.S. Husband trains too. Guess it's only fair he cuts back on training too?
Quote Reply
Re: Training and fertility [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered cross posting your question? The part about your husband, for instance, may get many more replies on the main board. You may also try the Women for Tri Facebook group, which gets huge traffic (and possibly a wide range of input).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a goal race? Because being pregnant and doing Ironman won't be much fun.

I'd suggest train, race and then revisit. Talk to your doctor. Things to consider are your weight, body fat, frequency of periods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following this closely - we're trying to understand how we can track better what we feel in our bodies (with an app) - to be able to perform better - but we're extremely interested in females in particular, since our cycles makes it even more interesting.

So far, our users are triathletes (both men and women): they use us to optimise their performances, avoid injuries and train smarter. We want to expand the data we track to female-specific (eg. periods, digestion, temperature, etc) - and those of us trying to get pregnant are particularly interesting: double-tracking! And I guess to answer to your question: the more data we have around that (i.e. females for who it works well to train&grow a baby; red flags that say you should lower the load, etc) - would be a good way to have better replies in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have no known fertility issues and still get your period, it *should* not have an effect on you. I got pregnant the week I raced my PR 70.3 race (well, I PR'ed as a new mom last year :)). That was the first month we were trying and I was obviously training hard leading up to the race.

Currently training for an IM in July and hoping to get pregnant again immediately after. I'm not cutting back at all, but I'm also not looking to get pregnant before the race either. I don't foresee any issues getting pregnant immediately after as my period is regular, even with all the training.

I have a teammate that cut back on ALL training because she wasn't getting pregnant, cutting back all the way had nothing to do with her infertility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are having regular periods you are likely ovulating and can get pregnant. If you are having very irregular periods, less likely, and no periods make it even less likely.
Quote Reply
Re: Training and fertility [wasasherpafirst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasasherpafirst wrote:
If you have no known fertility issues and still get your period, it *should* not have an effect on you. I got pregnant the week I raced my PR 70.3 race (well, I PR'ed as a new mom last year :)). That was the first month we were trying and I was obviously training hard leading up to the race.

Currently training for an IM in July and hoping to get pregnant again immediately after. I'm not cutting back at all, but I'm also not looking to get pregnant before the race either. I don't foresee any issues getting pregnant immediately after as my period is regular, even with all the training.

I have a teammate that cut back on ALL training because she wasn't getting pregnant, cutting back all the way had nothing to do with her infertility.

Thanks for this! All encouraging. The pregnancy conceived week of 70.3 - was that your first? How old were you?
Quote Reply
Re: Training and fertility [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my first child (not my first HIM)! I was 34 when I get pregnant. I'm now turning 38 in a few months and pray my fertility hasn't changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokeypokey wrote:
Trying to train for an IM and make a baby at the same time. Internet literature suggests that IM training (mix of intensive workouts and long, less intensive workouts) decreases fertility. Any suggestions on whether to cut back and how much to cut back would be very helpful? P.S. Husband trains too. Guess it's only fair he cuts back on training too?

Both are noble goals and feats. Maybe one at a time? Just curious, why together?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fertility is highly individual. Some women may be affected by heaving training and some not.

Is your plan to do an Ironman while pregnant?
Quote Reply