Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB Question -QR PR3
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of getting my first Tri bike, a QR PR3 (thanks in no small part to the recent articles on ST).

I currently use a 2016 Giant Advanced TCR 2 which came with Shimano 105. I changed the crankset to a 53/39 (didn’t like the 50/34) and added a 4iiii crank based Power Meter. Giant say the BB is ‘Shimano Press Fit’.

Can I move this crankset to the QR?

The QR says it’s a PF30

I think these are one and the same, but want to make sure!

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: BB Question -QR PR3 [DanCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are different. 24mm and 30mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim's typical style of answering is less than informative. In fact, the difference he's asserting isn't even correct here. Simply because a frame is PF30, doesn't mean the crank needs a 30mm spindle.

You may need a different bottom bracket, but YES, the shimano crank will work in a PF30 frame.

Here's what a typical Shimano press fit BB looks like.

A PF30 frame is narrower, so a PF30 BB has wider cups that correct for the length of the shimano spindle. I really like the Wheels manufacturing BB's that actually thread into one another.
Quote Reply
Re: BB Question -QR PR3 [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Beston.
Not as easy as I hoped, but I can at least keep my bigger big ring and power meter.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to close the topic - got the PR3 and took in my own crankset when buying and asked the shop to fit it before I pick it up...

Easy, new PR3 with full Shimano now and a PM

Dan
Quote Reply