Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ohtani [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Well can we at least wait until June 1st? or maybe until he pitches against someone other than the A's?

You are racist.

HALL OF FAME!!! HALL OF FAME!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

Well can we at least wait until June 1st? or maybe until he pitches against someone other than the A's?

You are racist.

Through 10 days of baseball he's been far better as a hitter AND a batter than Babe Ruth. Just saying.

I love hype, it represents blind hope and optimism and I love the idea that some player, or some team, is the best that's ever played and I get to witness it. Ohtani is likely to be a decent-not-great hitter and at least an above-averge pitcher, and there's a good chance he's nothing more than that, which is fine. But through a week he COULD be a top-5 pitcher in baseball AND a top-20 hitter, and that idea - to me - is fun to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
That's the wait and see part... can he adjust?

This article talks about his adjustment from spring training to opening day. Seems like he is a quick learner.

https://www.si.com/...ahiro-tanaka-yankees
Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

You are racist.

Through 10 days of baseball he's been far better as a hitter AND a batter than Babe Ruth. Just saying.

I love hype, it represents blind hope and optimism and I love the idea that some player, or some team, is the best that's ever played and I get to witness it. Ohtani is likely to be a decent-not-great hitter and at least an above-averge pitcher, and there's a good chance he's nothing more than that, which is fine. But through a week he COULD be a top-5 pitcher in baseball AND a top-20 hitter, and that idea - to me - is fun to think about.

That part is definitely fun. I have no love for the Angels but I love watching Mike Trout. It is pretty cool watching a great career from the very beginning.

Ohtani looks to have enough talent to not be a complete bust, assuming he is not the love child of Babe Ruth and Cy Young. And if his arm falls off, a la Matt Harvey, he has a decent shot at being a decent hitter.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your Sox weren’t fooled by Ohtani. Is he on the shortest of short leashes? Only 2 innings? He was poised to get lit the f—k up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently he had developed a blister during his last start, they thought he would be ok, but wasn't. He was prone to blisters in Japan too.

So much for his pitching career, at least he can enter the HOF as a hitter.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Apparently he had developed a blister during his last start, they thought he would be ok, but wasn't. He was prone to blisters in Japan too.

So much for his pitching career, at least he can enter the HOF as a hitter.

Hey, if everyone on this board is ready to put him in the Hall of Fame after a couple good starts someone needs to be the “look, he’s useless” guy after one bad start.

I am prepared to be that guy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Your Sox weren’t fooled by Ohtani. Is he on the shortest of short leashes? Only 2 innings? He was poised to get lit the f—k up.
I stayed up for the first few innings, he looked bad. That said I buy the blister excuse, the velocity was down but more importantly his control was awful, he bounced a couple of fastballs in front of the plate and looked down at his hand afterward.

Kind of a shame, I wanted to see how he really looked but oh well, I'm just as happy the Sox shelled him :). Just hoping he can still bat on Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't look back, the Jays are hot on your heels. Our backup catcher saved our bacon yesterday. He's hitting .421 this year. This roll we're on is totally sustainable...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Don't look back, the Jays are hot on your heels. Our backup catcher saved our bacon yesterday. He's hitting .421 this year. This roll we're on is totally sustainable...
The Sox have lost one game since opening day, and they've been doing it without their AS shortstop who was their hottest hitter coming out of the gates.

The team isn't NEARLY this good but Price looks like he's recovered his form of a few years ago, ditto Porcello, and HanRam has really responded to the new manager (he did NOT like Farrell apparently). The lineup is deep and fairly balanced.

Mostly I just like that the Yankees are struggling. Will be a long season and April will be a distant memory, who knows how this all plays out but I'd rather a 14-2 team than a 2-14 team at this stage, so life is good in BoSox land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I stayed up for the first few innings, he looked bad. That said I buy the blister excuse, the velocity was down but more importantly his control was awful, he bounced a couple of fastballs in front of the plate and looked down at his hand afterward.

Kind of a shame, I wanted to see how he really looked but oh well, I'm just as happy the Sox shelled him :). Just hoping he can still bat on Thursday.

Short leash was he was over 60 pitches and not able to throw all his pitches.

Lots of velocity. Not sure if the blister was the cause, but not much movement on the fastball. I'm assuming the blister was the reason be couldn't throw a breaking pitch no matter what.

I hope he has the best of health. If he is going to flame out I'd much rather it be because of lack of talent. I hate to see young players fight injuries. And blisters are just stupid, they can linger and be a bitch.

Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0 for 6 against the lowly Blue Jays and down to .300 average.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
0 for 6 against the lowly Blue Jays and down to .300 average.

This can't be good.

Los Angeles Angels two-way phenom Shohei Ohtani will be out for at least three weeks with a sprain of his right UCL, a ligament in the elbow, the team announced Friday.
Ohtani will go on the disabled list with a Grade 2 sprain of the UCL, which indicates there is a partial tear in the ligament.

Last edited by: j p o: Jun 8, 18 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next up Tommy John surgery. What a shame.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Ohtani [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Next up Tommy John surgery. What a shame.

Everyone likes to downplay TJS. Sure, a lot of guys come back. But an awful lot are never heard from again. At least Ohtani seems like he can make it as a hitter too.

The Angels' worst fears have been realized. Shohei Ohtani has "new damage" to his UCL and Tommy John surgery has been "recommended," the team announced. Two things to keep in mind: The Angels didn't lose any time on the calendar by trying stem-cell and platelet-rich plasma therapy (Ohtani wouldn't have pitched until 2020 anyway), and Ohtani would presumably still be able to contribute as a hitter for all of 2019. Still, a very tough blow for a team that has dealt with an uncommon rash of damaged UCLs. The loss of Ohtani as a two-way player is a loss for all fans.

Quote Reply

Prev Next