Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept Stem Question
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I brought my new Speed Concept 7.5 to the LBS for its 30 day checkup and to swap the medium near stem for the low near stem. I went to pick up the bike and as I rolled it out the door I noticed the the bars were hard to turn and and clicked. I immediately brought it back in and told them it wasn't right. I was actually pretty irritated that any mechanic would send it out like that. I called later and the same mechanic said he screwed up the cabling and had to re-cable the whole bike. I have no confidence in this mechanic now. Hopefully its right when I pick it up.

My question to the experts out there (I miss Carl already) is if I want to change the mono spacer to raise it up some (to lessen the stack change due to the stem swap) should this cause a problem with the cabling? If the mechanic does it right would that cause an issue?

Thanks for any help or advise!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [SJ-AK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything specific about the speed concept, but it sounds like the mechanic made a mistake, was honest about it and now is correcting his mistake. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No FHE with the SC, but the madone cabling has no allowance for slop. If you change the stack height, you need to trim or recable.
And
I'm generally more likely to trust someone who admits a mistake. Two things I've found exceedingly rare in life is "I don't know" and "I was wrong."

Good luck.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I don't know anything specific about the speed concept, but it sounds like the mechanic made a mistake, was honest about it and now is correcting his mistake. We all make mistakes sometimes.

I agree that we all make mistakes, however he admitted it after I brought the bike back immediately after turning the handlebars on the way out the door. He should not have given the bike back to me when the handlebars turn as hard as they did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SJ-AK,

I own a SC and work at my local bike shop.
To answer your question, if you are running Di2, then swapping mono spacers will be no issue and not affect your cabling since it's just unplugging and plugging the cables back into the junction.
However, if you are running mechanical shifters, you will need to re-cable your TT shifters, since the shifter cables run through the mono spacers.
It sounds like the mechanic swapped out your stem and did not adjust the cable lenghts, hence it might have been pinching between the stem and frame (easily corrected).
Hope this helps.

What happened to Carl? Don't tell me he left Trek??!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlem7 wrote:
Hi SJ-AK,

I own a SC and work at my local bike shop.
To answer your question, if you are running Di2, then swapping mono spacers will be no issue and not affect your cabling since it's just unplugging and plugging the cables back into the junction.
However, if you are running mechanical shifters, you will need to re-cable your TT shifters, since the shifter cables run through the mono spacers.
It sounds like the mechanic swapped out your stem and did not adjust the cable lenghts, hence it might have been pinching between the stem and frame (easily corrected).
Hope this helps.

What happened to Carl? Don't tell me he left Trek??!!!

Thank you rlem!

Yes unfortunately Carl left Trek. His post is here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you went from a low to medium the cable would have probably been a little too short. Discovering how intricate the cockpit is right now as I build my new 7.5.

Not even running brakes until I decide on the stem with this in mind... I'm running E-tap shifters so no concerns there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I got a new Gen 2 Speed concept with a Low-Near stem,
the rear brake cable housing rip off after 2 hours test ride,
Is there any good idea to fix this problems?
Please advise, thanks.
Last edited by: henryhktri: Mar 25, 19 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [henryhktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
henryhktri wrote:
I got a new Gen 2 Speed concept with a Low-Near stem,
the rear brake cable housing rip off after 2 hours test ride,
Is there any good idea to fix this problems?
Please advise, thanks.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about that as long as the bars turn freely
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlem7 wrote:

+1 to this and one of the big reasons I upgraded to Etap.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Stem Question [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will try to wrap some rubber tube
Quote Reply