Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike CdaCrr Android app [elquike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elquike wrote:
Well, I've tried with the new version but it still doesn't detect the weathermeter

I don't know if it'll help you but I've used the Nordic nRF Connect app to get some data from the bluetooth connection:

Regards,
elquike

Not a good new for the app, cause I strictly use the SDK provided by WeatherFlow.

I am waiting for Pursnoot test. If it fails too, I will refund your purchase licence, cause probably I will need to buy a model to debug all this and it will delay again a release, if any.

Blog | Twitter| Bike CdaCrr app
Last edited by: bugno: Jun 28, 23 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Bike CdaCrr Android app [bugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bugno wrote:

Not a good new for the app, cause I strictly use the SDK provided by WeatherFlow.

I am waiting for Pursnoot test. If it fails too, I will refund your purchase licence, cause probably I will need to buy a model to debug all this and it will delay again a release, if any.

Oh, bollocks. So close!

In my case don't worry about the refund. It's the lesser of the expenses.
And besides, I'm still not done yet. I will try to get some other hardware version which is supported

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on this thread, I bought this WeatherFlow WindMeter last week.
I have iPhone and Mac, not Android.
The official iOS App only takes a reading when you tell it to. It doesn't record continuously like I thought it might.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any iOS App that is compatible with it that can record continuously.

However, I didn't return it.
I wrote code to take the output from a free iOS Bluetooth logger that I found on the Apple App Store. The log recorded has lines like these:

00:00:42.320 - Characteristic (961F0005-D2D6-43E3-A417-3BB8217E0E01) notified: <0000ff7f ff7fff7f ff7f7f00 ff7f0000>

Timestamp and the hex digits inside <...> is the payload. Since the WindMeter only has RPM, only the first two bytes and the 2nd last byte changes. So three bytes encode the RPM, lsb to msb, left to right, unsigned.

My trivial (5 min) code runs on my Mac but obviously can run on anything that runs Python, you can write the same code in any programming language on any platform. Grabs the impeller RPM and converts it into windspeed in m/s.

with open(sys.argv[1]) as f:
for line in f:
m = re.match('(\d\d):(\d\d):(\d\d)\.(\d\d\d) - Characteristic \(961F0005-D2D6-43E3-A417-3BB8217E0E01\) (?:read|notified): <([0-9a-f]{2})([0-9a-f]{2})ff7f ff7fff7f ff7f7f00 ff7f([0-9a-f]{2})00>', line)
if m:
rpm = int(m.group(7)+m.group(6)+m.group(5),16)

Windspeed is then a simple linear function m/s = a*rpm + b.
a = 0.000755; b = 0.524 if rpm > 1680
a = 0.000975; b = 0.155 if rpm >= 60 and <= 1680
rpm < 60, m/s = 0

The plan is to use the timestamps here and sync it up to the .tcx Garmin file I have. Then run the Virtual Elevation formula with this as V_air. Maybe others will find the above information useful.

Example below from me blowing on the device at my desk.

$ python windmeter.py log.txt
Time: 00:01:05.330 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:05.570 RPM: 660 WS: 0.798 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:05.810 RPM: 720 WS: 0.857 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:06.080 RPM: 540 WS: 0.681 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:06.320 RPM: 480 WS: 0.623 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:06.559 RPM: 600 WS: 0.740 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:06.830 RPM: 780 WS: 0.915 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:07.069 RPM: 840 WS: 0.974 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:07.309 RPM: 840 WS: 0.974 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:07.579 RPM: 780 WS: 0.915 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:07.820 RPM: 600 WS: 0.740 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:08.060 RPM: 360 WS: 0.506 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:08.360 RPM: 180 WS: 0.331 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:08.569 RPM: 60 WS: 0.213 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:08.810 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:09.079 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:09.320 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:09.560 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:09.830 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:10.069 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Time: 00:01:10.310 RPM: 0 WS: 0.000 (m/s)
Last edited by: malaigo: Jul 12, 23 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same windmeter, a latest production one, mounted rigidly on a HPV, a certain distance above to avoid interference.

The windspeed is recorded to my iPhone. And I wrote code to integrate it with my Garmin .tcx file.
Compare air speed to wheel sensor speed below. It was almost calm. Looks good to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike CdaCrr Android app [malaigo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

It's great to read all your experiences with the app. I am running into a technical issue, I hope someone can help me with.

I am using the 'classic lap' mode without weatherflow meter. During precious tests, the app would show me CdA for every lap, as expected. However, recently it the app started showing CF instead of CdA. This seems to be calibration factor for the weatherflow meter - which I am not using.

Maybe I did something wrong with the settings? If anyone knows how to revert back to showing CdA as a result this would be very helpful. If revelant, I am using the free version for know ( I intend to purchase in the future when I have some more experience with testing).

On another note, I have a question finding a suitable spot for testing. I area where I live in the Netherland is pancake flat, so finding an out-and-back course where a hill slows me down at the turn is impossible. Finding a loop is difficult also; I have to keep to cycle paths where turns can be very tight and cannot be made in aero.

Therefore, would testing be possible when measuring an out and back course where the turn is excluded? In other words, only the flat part is included in the measurement. Thus I would ride outbound for for example 2km, stop logging, turn around safely, accelerate again, ride and log the same 2 km back again.

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bugno,

I hope you are reading this. I really enjoy using the app, but am encountering a big issue I hope you can help me with. I am starting to get a bit desperate, any help is appreciated.

The app reports CF for each run or lap instead of CdA. It seems it might be something wrong with my settings?

Best regards,
Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Bike CdaCrr Android app [Timmetje] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timmetje wrote:
Hi Bugno,

I hope you are reading this. I really enjoy using the app, but am encountering a big issue I hope you can help me with. I am starting to get a bit desperate, any help is appreciated.

The app reports CF for each run or lap instead of CdA. It seems it might be something wrong with my settings?

Best regards,
Tim

Sorry Tim, I didn't notice your previous post. Could you provide more info about the message reported ?

Is it this kind of it which appears:

"Current calibration value for WM is: XX
Change to the estimated value from the lap XXX ?
if you think that wind was constant and didn't see a car during the lap."

If yes, I look the code and don't understand why it can happen if you have no anemometer connected. And no bad operation into the settings could lead to this issue.... Weird.

Try removing/installing again the app, probably.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for reaching out so soon.

I have a little more information.
- For me, the issue occurs on v4.x.x of the app
- Reinstalling/ clearing cache etc. did not resolve the issue
- The same happens on another phone
- When I go back to V3.1.2, this does not have the issue

The text seems a little different from the text in your message. I do not get a prompt to change the CF value.

I have included some screenshots below of using the app with demo values in classic lap mode. But the same occurs when using the app outdoors. I have only recently acquired a weatherflow meter so I am not sure what would happen when using the app with the WM

Please let me know if you want more information. It would be great if it can be resolved. For now, I will stick with V3.1.2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timmetje wrote:
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for reaching out so soon.

I have a little more information.
- For me, the issue occurs on v4.x.x of the app
- Reinstalling/ clearing cache etc. did not resolve the issue
- The same happens on another phone
- When I go back to V3.1.2, this does not have the issue

The text seems a little different from the text in your message. I do not get a prompt to change the CF value.

I have included some screenshots below of using the app with demo values in classic lap mode. But the same occurs when using the app outdoors. I have only recently acquired a weatherflow meter so I am not sure what would happen when using the app with the WM

Please let me know if you want more information. It would be great if it can be resolved. For now, I will stick with V3.1.2

Hello Tim, indeed the "Demo" mode has this bug. But I tested recently on the road the 4.1.0 version (without anemometer) for "Classic Lap" mode and it works fine:

So, sorry I have no idea of the problem (after inspecting the code too) yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

I discovered this weekend that the app is working correctly for me as well.
I had been using the older version of the app, which worked correctly. The play store auto-updated to the new version, and now the new version reports CdA as well.

I am not sure what caused the error as I had been going back an forth between different versions, but I am happy it works correctly now ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timmetje wrote:
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

I discovered this weekend that the app is working correctly for me as well.
I had been using the older version of the app, which worked correctly. The play store auto-updated to the new version, and now the new version reports CdA as well.

I am not sure what caused the error as I had been going back an forth between different versions, but I am happy it works correctly now ;)

Ok, I am glad it solved magically.

For recent weathermeter models which can't connect to the app, I am waiting for this autumn to buy a model, test and debug. Thanks for your patience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pierre, looking forward to your future work.

However my WM model works fine with the app, that is no issue for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone - Im trying to get CdaCrr premium. However, when I tap the google play store link to purchase the KeyCdaCrr on my phone it says "This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an. older version of Android". I'm running Android 14.

Is there a workaround? The 4.1.0 app is installed and works fine on my phone.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Bike CdaCrr Android app [nilsalb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilsalb wrote:
Hi everyone - Im trying to get CdaCrr premium. However, when I tap the google play store link to purchase the KeyCdaCrr on my phone it says "This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an. older version of Android". I'm running Android 14.

Thanks!
Hello Nils. I worked to upload a new version of the key on the google store and couldn't imagine it could take so long... I hope it would be available at the end of the week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bugno wrote:
nilsalb wrote:

Thanks!

Hello Nils. I worked to upload a new version of the key on the google store and couldn't imagine it could take so long... I hope it would be available at the end of the week.
The key is online today: https://play.google.com/...ils?id=com.keycdacrr

Quote Reply

Prev Next