Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap G3 Help
Quote | Reply
Yes I did a ST search (well a half-hearted one at least). Background - G3 hub, Joule 2.0 and Garmin 910XT. Saturday's ride was fine, no issues. Sunday started out normal - Garmin asked to calibrate and did so - reading was 512 which is typical for this hub. I started riding and noticed that while the speed and cadence were fine, I was seeing little to no power - like 1 to 2 watts on both the Joule and the 910XT. I stopped and deleted the powermeter from the Joule and paired it again. Started the ride with same results / symptoms. So finished the ride (AP fo 2W!!) and figured it was the battery since its been close to a year. Replaced the battery per the instructions and now it won't pair with the Joule. I haven't tried to see if it will pair with the 901XT but doubt that will be any different than with the Joule. Should I - take the PowerCap off and update the firmware with PowerAgent? remove battery and reverse it short out then replace in correct position and retry? Any other suggestions (I sent an email to Powertap but figured ST will be quicker)?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap G3 Help [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bullshark wrote:
Yes I did a ST search (well a half-hearted one at least). Background - G3 hub, Joule 2.0 and Garmin 910XT. Saturday's ride was fine, no issues. Sunday started out normal - Garmin asked to calibrate and did so - reading was 512 which is typical for this hub. I started riding and noticed that while the speed and cadence were fine, I was seeing little to no power - like 1 to 2 watts on both the Joule and the 910XT. I stopped and deleted the powermeter from the Joule and paired it again. Started the ride with same results / symptoms. So finished the ride (AP fo 2W!!) and figured it was the battery since its been close to a year. Replaced the battery per the instructions and now it won't pair with the Joule. I haven't tried to see if it will pair with the 901XT but doubt that will be any different than with the Joule. Should I - take the PowerCap off and update the firmware with PowerAgent? remove battery and reverse it short out then replace in correct position and retry? Any other suggestions (I sent an email to Powertap but figured ST will be quicker)?

Well, I think you diagnosed the problem correctly with the power output being the battery. In my experience you get maybe 5-6 months out of the battery (slightly less with a lot of use). Not sure why the Joule won't pair though. I'd give Powertap a buzz and see what advice they have.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you put the battery in the correct direction. Also, do you have a heart rate strap paired with the Joule? Try wearing it when attempting the PowerMeter pairing process. Also sometimes I need to torque the crank a bit to "wake it up".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the internal connections look like in the G3, but I had the same problem with my Pro. Check that anything that plugs in is properly connected. I spent about 30 mins trying to get my 910 to recognize my PT last time I changed the batteries. Persevere, it will work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever resolve this? If so how?....having the same issue
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap G3 Help [cphilrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leave the battery out 3 to 5 min.

it’s also a good time to check for updates using power agent ( cabled or bluetooth depending on your cap ).

you also need to spin the wheel once you put the battery back in and assemble everything.

they are pretty robust and mostly face battery issues that have been cleaned up quite a bit with firmware updates.

r
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap G3 Help [raulsan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks!
Quote Reply