Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maystorm custom wetsuit question
Quote | Reply
Does anyone here have a Maystorm custom wetsuit? Did you try on EVERY non-custom wetsuit at the local store before ordering? I am thinking of ordering one, but shelling out that kind of money for something that you cannot return or resell if it doesn't fit, sounds a bit taunting.
Quote Reply
Re: Maystorm custom wetsuit question [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their are so many wetsuits out there that the first recommendation would be to try several before going the custom route. My wife tried on 6 or 7 different ones before buying here first wetsuit, an entry level suit from profile designs, which she has used for 2 years and is quite happy with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What issue are you having that makes you want to go custom?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Maystorm custom wetsuit question [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coolny29 - I am considering that, I will have to carve out an entire afternoon I think.
Tri3 - 5'8", 31-26-38 - pear to the max, baby. Need I say more? (I have completely given up on 1 piece tri suits - my top and bottom are 2-3 sizes off)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Last edited by: DrTriKat: Nov 10, 13 19:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto makes a two piece wetsuit. Have you looked at that?

Quote Reply
Re: Maystorm custom wetsuit question [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I managed to get out of work a bit early today and headed over to Trisports. I tried on 4 wetsuits in 1.5 hours until my fingers could no longer pinch and pull, and tried them all out in their endless saltwater pool. Nice experience overall. It seems that a Desoto first wave might actually be tolerable, size 1 top and size 2 bottom (bibjohn). The bibjohn fits kind of funny with the back about 3-4 inches off the small of my back, but the top seems to do a good job of pushing it in (to act like a bit of a "belt"). The speed tube waist was too low, and there was a 3-4 inch uncovered area about my waist. Too bad Desoto doesn't make a bottom with a high waist, similar to the Maystorm one (hint hint - Emilio, you reading this?). Both of the one-piece full wetsuits that I tried on had the same problem, despite reasonable fit: the zipper did not sit flush at the small of my back, and so there was a giant pool of cold water sloshing about in there. Also, I find the back zipper on the one-piece very restricting and uncomfortable. Hope someone finds all this ranting useful in their search of a wetsuit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Email DeSoto about the fit issues. They are quick to respond and might have some good suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi DrTriKat-

Did you solve this problem? We are more than happy to help you out at De Soto - email me privately at femme@desotosport and perhaps I can help.

Thanks,
Tracy M. De Soto

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Maystorm custom wetsuit question [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got myself a T1 First Wave, size 1 top and size 2 bib john. The fit is not optimal, but tolerable. The bib john fits OK width wise (since I lost about 3" off my hips since I started triathlon training), but I find the shoulder straps are bit short for my height (5'8"), and feel squeezed length wise (this also creates a large air pocket in the small of my back, where water starts sloshing around a bit when the top rides up and no longer compresses it). The top tends to ride up, so the neck rides quite high (at or above Adam's apple), and this causes chafing, which I try to minimize with lubricants…. Let me know if you have any ideas on how I might be able to fit these better. I also find that the thickness of the neoprene in the legs is too much for me, and make my legs float too much (I was a competitive swimmer, and find this a bit disturbing as my legs really don't need much float help). Thank you so much for your reply and concern.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi DrTriKat - can you email me at: tracy@desotosport.com so I can ask you a few (personal) questions? Thanks!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Last edited by: sdtrigirl: Jan 25, 14 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Maystorm custom wetsuit question [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all your help! So it turns out I need a size 1 top and a size 3 bottom. Nothing against TriSports, they are a great store, and were very helpful and patient, but it is interesting that they actually fit me into a size 2 top and size 2 bottom. (I knew after the fitting that the size 2 top was going to be too big, as it was too loose when I was swimming in it and let in too much water), but now that I have tried the size 3 vs. 2 bottom, its obvious that the 3 is the correct size. Lesson learned - gotta keep trying them on until you find what really fits. Never settle for "almost ok" or "tolerable", and don't assume the person doing the "fitting" is right or somehow has special knowledge. I hope someone can learn from my experience in the future. DeSoto customer service is outstanding BTW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies of The Womens:

I would like to rekindle this thread. I have done many races in my DeSoto, and it has served me well, but I am thinking of maybe something new (despite it's age, it is actually in great shape).

The size 1 top is a bit tight in the neck, and very, very hard to pull off the wrist. Takes me forever to peel myself out of this in transition. The bottom is great, but until you get the top off, you can't get the bottom off, so yeah, time ticking.

Is there anything new in womens wetsuits in the past few years? Any brands/models that are more suited for the "pear shaped"? I would imagine hips stretch more than the chest (due to the zipper), but it's frustrating that most one-piece wetsuits are sized by height/weight and chest, no mention of hips, or torso length.

Are you a pear? What do you wear?

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone for this year!

k

Quote Reply