Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [cvivanco9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cvivanco9 wrote:
I use this product:
http://www.vivgo.com/sweat-guard

Works great even on my tri bike. I usually also lay a t-shirt or towel on top of it and use that to wipe the sweat from my head. Of course a good fan helps a ton.

I'd be careful with that one, honestly. It's a setup to damage your TT bike like I did - the sweat can roll right off the guard and drip onto the front brake and headset. Again, it doesn't take much - just a few drops that go unnoticed but which sit there for days/weeks on end can fuse the moving parts after awhile. The anaerobic zone cover completely covers the front brake & headset of your TT bike - no way for any sweat to reach the moving parts. (I had to replace both on my bike when I used a Cycleops thong that looked like that on a TT bike - the foward position in aerobars typically put your head just in front of the front edge of that thong, which is a setup for sweat to drop onto your brake system.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 3, 14 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just using a small towel (drying dishes towel) on the areobar,
didn't know the sweat could damage the brake..will add a plastic cover on the brake and brake tube so it doesn't get wet, thanks for the tips guys!

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I agree that in aero position your head would be in front of the guard but when used in combination with a towel or t-shirt that issue can be remedied. The thing I like about these type guards is they provide a flat surface where you can set your towel/t-shirt on which I always use as I like to be able to wipe my face. It’s also super easy to take off and put on which is important for me. Nothing wrong with a more extensive cover but at least in my experience (and I sweat a lot) I have not had any issues with the sweat guard.

Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [cvivanco9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My headset of my last tribike was corroded shut. The bears were all rusted from endless hours on the trainer. I tired saran warp, towels, bike thongs. I think I may have found my answer: I took a garbage bag and carefully taped it in key locations. I cut holes for the aeropads and shifters and I'm set!
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, just buy the anaerobic zone front cockpit cover. $30 investment that is bulletproof and you will never have another headset/brake problem on your TT bike again. It's really good.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isbr wrote:
A towel is to sweat protection as safety pins are to a race number belt. Cheaper but woefully inadequate and the potential for damage is exponentially greater.

When considering indoor training safety one can never be too careful. That is why I use a condom on my headset, preferably spermicidal and ribbed for her pleasure ... and mine. I also drape a dental dam (do those even exist anymore?) over my bars. My bike has always thanks me and the proof I am STD free since '83. What was the question again?

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do most of you guys working out on a trainer use a fan/fans and if so, any in particular you'd recommend? I've been riding 3+ times a week for a couple times a month without a fan, just using the AC in the room and sweating through the workouts.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
isbr wrote:
A towel is to sweat protection as safety pins are to a race number belt. Cheaper but woefully inadequate and the potential for damage is exponentially greater.

When considering indoor training safety one can never be too careful. That is why I use a condom on my headset, preferably spermicidal and ribbed for her pleasure ... and mine. I also drape a dental dam (do those even exist anymore?) over my bars. My bike has always thanks me and the proof I am STD free since '83. What was the question again?

Lololololooloolllllol I'm dying
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Do most of you guys working out on a trainer use a fan/fans and if so, any in particular you'd recommend? I've been riding 3+ times a week for a couple times a month without a fan, just using the AC in the room and sweating through the workouts.

I use 2 fans with my trainer. First one is a larger freestanding one that I stick directly in front of me blasting away at my head while on the aerobars (don't recall what brand but it is a Sanyo or something). The second one is a small tabletop style Honeywell one that is actually pretty quiet that I point directly at the Fluid trainer chamber/tire contact interface (I have an Gen 1 CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer with the small flywheel). After an hour on the trainer the fluid chamber is warm and I can touch it no problems and not get burned.

Also, I do use one of those Cycleops thongs along with a towel or two draped over to protect the headset better along with the front brakes (it is also draped over my aerobars too). Seems to work so far but the fan seems to keep me from sweating like a mofo (in spin classes rooms that poor always seem to have poor ventilation I just sweat like crazy in there).
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

As many fans as possible. I have 2 small fans up front and one large fan in the back (shocker setup) ... I will be adding a 2 fan window fan up front above my laptop. That should suffice without keeping that room at a lower temp than the rest of the house. That being said I will still sweat like a pig, there's just no sweat drying inside like there is outside.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the bike and I wear thongs.

I put an extra towel over the front 1/2 of the bike on top of the thong. The thong keeps the towel off the bike, so whatever sweat gets to the towel doesn't get to the bike. Lastly, I'll put a small washcloth under the thong and over the headset just to be sure that's dry.

One big fan keeps the temp manageble (http://www.homedepot.com/...N=5yc1vZc4lnZ1z140nu), I love the remote.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
Both the bike and I wear thongs.

I never tried to wear a thong myself on the trainer, but I use the Cycleops thong as well as a towel on the handlebars and a mat under the whole thing.

Fans in summer, in winter I just open the door that leads outside which is right next to the trainer, unless it's insanely cold or the wife complains upstairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I was wondering about all this sweat..so I should be in fact protecting my bike..who knew.

Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [dss8653] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dss8653 wrote:
bcool wrote:
I just drape an old towel over the aerobars and top tube.

+1

somewhat the same here except I tape over the stem cap and cover any of the exposed bolts. I'm also changing my socket head cap screws to stainless.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm replacing my frame because of massive paint bubbling.

Do people wipe down their frames with a dry towel or some sort of cleaning solution (like one found at a gym)?
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [workinprogress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use cleaning wipes for the frame and keep towel over my cockpit/front wheel.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat guard for trainers [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite Sweat Net bike thong and a "spin-specific" towel I got as part of a beta-testing thing a while back - https://www.zoomdala.com/beta/spin-towel - it has a small flap along one edge that helps to hook it over the hoods and keep it in place. Drape a towel on top of that to be extra safe.

And a fan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next