Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Cervélo S5 2019
Quote | Reply
Because of the time zones it's my pleasure to start the thread .. https://www.cervelo.com/s5



___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: May 25, 19 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. and the tech paper .. https://www.cervelo.com/.../5/s5_tech_paper.pdf .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the first ride review...

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/2019-cervelo-s5-disc-review/


Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And who needs data when you've got a swish new ad!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QBptk6RrBM&feature=share


Go Tommy D!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. and the new 2019 team bike .. https://www.cervelo.com/team-announcement



___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. hm, the 58cm frame would still fit my specs .. (that frame size didn't change in the geo since the previous version) .. and the pro racers will ask for a lower and longer stem soon ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great ...... but a question for all fellow owners of the “old” S5, rim brake model, who is planning to upgrade to the new S5 disc?? .......and if so, why? ...and if not, why not???
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there some way of adding height to the stem or is there a whole range of bars with different width, reach, and height?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. after 80k km there is still nor reason to leave my (old) love .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. check the tech paper linked above ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Looks great ...... but a question for all fellow owners of the “old” S5, rim brake model, who is planning to upgrade to the new S5 disc?? .......and if so, why? ...and if not, why not???

I'll upgrade. Already sold my 2nd gen S5. Nothing wrong with that bike, just I'm a fan of total cable integration and added aero is a plus anyway. Disc brakes... not a big fan of them, but that's the path industry has chosen. Still will have 2 rim brake bikes anyway.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, will be sticking with my current S5.
I'm impressed by the design and the thought that has gone into making the proprietary bars less painful than the appearance would suggest.
However, having extracted the aero data and added it to my modelling (with weight difference for discs included) I get the new bike being only 3s faster for me over our 26km club races.
However, that doesn't account for the shallower drop bar being slower for me than the deep drop bar I can use on the current bike, so overall the new bike will be slower.
Of course, the new bike can use an adaptor for a normal stem, but in that configuration the performance is equal to the current bike so no point.

I would like the increased stiffness but I've never felt let down on the current bike (have topped out at 1600w)

And I really dislike disc brakes on road bikes. Nothing about the ownership experience of my gravel/training bike (which I like in every other regard) is an improvement and there are many downsides.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gorgeous bike. i like the paint scheme on the S3 better however.

2019 Schedule: Ironman 70.3 Texas April 7 & Ironman 7.03 Waco Oct 27
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeanV wrote:
Is there some way of adding height to the stem or is there a whole range of bars with different width, reach, and height?

I anticipate some sort of climbdown over the cockpit design. Or at least the introduction of a two piece version.

The industry loved once piece cockpits for a few years, but seems to be drifting away to neatly integrated two piece solutions because of the issues you just alluded to.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not one piece, stem and bars are separate on the new S5.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a two-piece design. You can ad up to 30mm of spacers under the stem, and up to 5mm of spacers between stem and handlebar. There is also an option to tilt the bars slightly with the spacers between bar and stem.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to you and Minimalist:

My mistake re: the current design.

Kind of illustrates my point about how neatly they're integrating two piece designs now, rather than using one-piece. I didn't even see that they were two separate parts!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't be riding it either... no way that stem is equal to my slammed -17 stem on my current S5

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I won't be riding it either... no way that stem is equal to my slammed -17 stem on my current S5

In the official photos, it's equal to -6 "traditional" (and probably 110mm length), however, -17 equivalent versions will be available separately as well, from 90 to 130mm.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I won't be riding it either... no way that stem is equal to my slammed -17 stem on my current S5


In the official photos, it's equal to -6 "traditional" (and probably 110mm length), however, -17 equivalent versions will be available separately as well, from 90 to 130mm.


OK Maybe I'll rethink it, but I have my current 140mm stem slammed to the bearing on my current S5 so probably still not feasible.

Edit: I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of ProTour guys demanding a 140mm or even 150mm stem

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 1, 18 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As we all know, pro tour & pro tri guys many times do have something we, mortals, don't :)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Oct 1, 18 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe it: Cervelo finally released a bike that actually..... looks good.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping they would have a fit chart or at least a fit calculator like they did with the P5X. The stack and reach in 54 cm are identical in the last gen but the v- stem makes it harder to figure out how to transfer my fit from the 2nd gen to this one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
No, will be sticking with my current S5.
I'm impressed by the design and the thought that has gone into making the proprietary bars less painful than the appearance would suggest.
However, having extracted the aero data and added it to my modelling (with weight difference for discs included) I get the new bike being only 3s faster for me over our 26km club races.
However, that doesn't account for the shallower drop bar being slower for me than the deep drop bar I can use on the current bike, so overall the new bike will be slower.
Of course, the new bike can use an adaptor for a normal stem, but in that configuration the performance is equal to the current bike so no point.

Quoted for truth. This bike is as fast as its predecessor, and no faster. Just like the P5-X...and the P5. Which is one reason why I am still on a P4.

cyclenutnz wrote:
And I really dislike disc brakes on road bikes. Nothing about the ownership experience of my gravel/training bike (which I like in every other regard) is an improvement and there are many downsides.

Weren't you the one complaining about how an ee brake does not provide sufficient stopping power for someone your size?

The ownership experience notwithstanding, having disc brakes on your road bike is nice, especially when you ride that bike in a variety of conditions, especially wet and downhill / in city traffic / around cars requiring fast and frequent stops with laser sharp modulation.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Looks great ...... but a question for all fellow owners of the “old” S5, rim brake model, who is planning to upgrade to the new S5 disc?? .......and if so, why? ...and if not, why not???

I am not as an amateur road racer. Because disc wheels are still not well supported by neutral support at road races/crits, and they take longer to switch when they are. Also I'm pretty invested in wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - that's fugly! After what we have seen from Cannondale, Specialized, BMC... Cervelo continues their trend of making ugly bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I... can't get over that stem. Also, I'm likely to need a 140mm... But the new S3 looks nice.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the current sales, 2018 S5 frame cost me $1,900; the new frame would cost nearly triple that. So, once I got my head screwed on straight and stopped drooling over the few seconds I would save on this new shiny version, the decision to go with the old S5 was an easy one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.

Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric

That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'll have to become a dentist in order to be able to afford one!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stonerider wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric


That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.

Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.


Just sayin'...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
stonerider wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric


That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.


Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.


Just sayin'...

According to their whitepaper the difference between the new S5 with a std. stem/ their old aero handlebars without cables and the same setup with cables is 13 grams. (Bottom of page 17). The drag savings between the old bike and the new bike out of the box (I assume with properly trimmed cables) at 0 deg. is negligible. The difference over the yaw range appears to be 42g.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric

Um, I understand that. I quoted directly from the article. If it had said grams of drag, fine. It said grams faster. Um, grams are not a measurement of speed.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
disc brakes, duh!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
According to their whitepaper the difference between the new S5 with a std. stem/ their old aero handlebars without cables and the same setup with cables is 13 grams. (Bottom of page 17). The drag savings between the old bike and the new bike out of the box (I assume with properly trimmed cables) at 0 deg. is negligible. The difference over the yaw range appears to be 42g.

Hmmm...since the new bike doesn't have ANY accomodations for external cables, nor a front mounted rim brake (with resulting exposed cable), I'm wondering if they're just talking about the exposed cables between the handlebar and their "standard stem adapter"? That would be some incredibly short runs, especially as compared to the previous gen S5.

That's a case where a photograph or two of the test setup would be helpful to put the result into context.

It'll be interesting to see the rim version of the new S3, and see how well they integrated the cable housing on that particular model. So far I've only seen pics of the disc S3...anybody see the rim version?



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

According to their whitepaper the difference between the new S5 with a std. stem/ their old aero handlebars without cables and the same setup with cables is 13 grams. (Bottom of page 17). The drag savings between the old bike and the new bike out of the box (I assume with properly trimmed cables) at 0 deg. is negligible. The difference over the yaw range appears to be 42g.


Hmmm...since the new bike doesn't have ANY accomodations for external cables, nor a front mounted rim brake (with resulting exposed cable), I'm wondering if they're just talking about the exposed cables between the handlebar and their "standard stem adapter"? That would be some incredibly short runs, especially as compared to the previous gen S5.

That is my understanding as well.

That's a case where a photograph or two of the test setup would be helpful to put the result into context.

Most definitely.

It'll be interesting to see the rim version of the new S3, and see how well they integrated the cable housing on that particular model. So far I've only seen pics of the disc S3...anybody see the rim version?

I'll be really surprised if the brakes and associated cables aren't very similar to the old S3/S5.

I'd like to add that for all the CFD graphs showing the V better, it doesn't seem any better at 0 yaw in their own wind tunnel graphs. Is there any evidence to suggest that this would only show itself w/ rider on tunnel testing?

I'm going to make one other comment, but before I do I would like to state that my eyeball wind tunnel is no good...never has been...and probably never will be. But does anyone else think the front of the fork's surface directly above the tire seems a bit blunt? At least in comparison to other disc bike shapes at that spot i.e. Venge, Madone (disc), SuperSix?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [officespaced] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
officespaced wrote:
I was hoping they would have a fit chart or at least a fit calculator like they did with the P5X. The stack and reach in 54 cm are identical in the last gen but the v- stem makes it harder to figure out how to transfer my fit from the 2nd gen to this one.
It doesn't. A slammed v-stem of stated length and angle (virtual angle, obviously) puts the centre of the bar in exactly the same place as a normal stem of stated length and angle slammed on a bearing cap would put the centre of the bar.

As long as you can get over the fact that just because it looks different doesn't mean it behaves different then you can use the frame stack and reach chart just like normal.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [wingguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The looks wasn’t really the issue. The current geo doesn’t include a listing of all the stems so you can get a ballpark fit. Spacers further adjust stem height and tilting spacers adjust the bar angle. Specialized made a geo calculator so you help calculate your position to their stem and help choose the flat vs riser bar.

We expect this sort of info when dealing with integrated aero bars so I don’t think it’s unreasonable for them to make a chart.

I think it could be a better way to fit a wide range of people to the bike since you aren’t cutting a steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no .. edit: I'm wrong .. there is just no pic online yet ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 1, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric


Um, I understand that. I quoted directly from the article. If it had said grams of drag, fine. It said grams faster. Um, grams are not a measurement of speed.

Great! So, given that you already know what it means, whence the difficulty in parsing which grams they meant? I mean, I noticed that as well, and it seemed mildly sloppy language, sure, but it took a fraction of a second for me, and now, seems it took about the same amount of time for YOU to understand precisely what they meant. So.... again... whence the trouble?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a bit sloppy. Though I'm more upset by the lack of units on the y axis of the wind tunnel graphs and what kind of yaw weighing they have used to come up with it being 5.5W faster.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
It is a bit sloppy. Though I'm more upset by the lack of units on the y axis of the wind tunnel graphs and what kind of yaw weighing they have used to come up with it being 5.5W faster.

I'm with you. In fact, one thing that jumped out at me was how close they are saying this bike is at 0-yaw to all the other past iterations. I would have thought that removing external cables, cleaning up the aerodynamics all over the bike, modern design, and so forth, would lead to a bike that's quicker at 0-yaw. And if it doesn't, why not?? So removing cables DOESN'T help at 0-yaw? Or it's offsetting a sin somewhere else?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did nobody else notice that on page 10 of the white paper they list the ISO 4210 tire clearance as 38mm?!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a 38mm space, allowing 4mm each side for a 30mm tyre per ISO.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
That's a 38mm space, allowing 4mm each side for a 30mm tyre per ISO.

I just caught that myself. Rats.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check page 29 in the tech paper ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Looks like I'll have to become a dentist in order to be able to afford one!

Further to that, I'd have to buy a bike box that the bars stay attached, as it looks like you wouldn't be able to break them down for travel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you were thinking 'who needs an Exploro' - new benchmark in aero gravel...


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. maybe at the stem ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
As interested as I've been in this bike, I'm having trouble getting past some of the verbiage describing it. "42 grams faster..." When did weight become a measurement of speed? If the reverse is true, could I be 5 mph lighter? Ugh.


Um, that refers to grams of drag - nothing to do with weight. They mentioned it was equivalent to about 5.5 watts.

-Eric


Um, I understand that. I quoted directly from the article. If it had said grams of drag, fine. It said grams faster. Um, grams are not a measurement of speed.


Great! So, given that you already know what it means, whence the difficulty in parsing which grams they meant? I mean, I noticed that as well, and it seemed mildly sloppy language, sure, but it took a fraction of a second for me, and now, seems it took about the same amount of time for YOU to understand precisely what they meant. So.... again... whence the trouble?

-Eric

No, I believe I understand what they meant.

IMO, it's more than a bit sloppy. It's pure marketing drivel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.


Just sayin'...

That is an impressive-looking little model, but I think it would be even more informative if absolute values for CdA were provided. Doing so would help demonstrate that the real story here isn't how much drag the cylinder generates*, but how little the airfoil does.

*length 0.05 m x diameter 0.005 m = frontal area 0.00025 m^2 x Cd of cylinder 1.2 = CdA of 0.0003 m^2
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Did nobody else notice that on page 10 of the white paper they list the ISO 4210 tire clearance as 38mm?!

Is it just me, or is anyone else amused at the fact that according to the pics in all of the review articles that all came out today, apparently all the bikes at the intro event had the bar tops taped?

So much for all that work that went into reshaping the bar. How many grams (of drag) does that "give back" <LOL>



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's also a good "retort" to those who don't believe that the drag from a front derailleur hanger can be > the drag from the entire downtube ;-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
It's also a good "retort" to those who don't believe that the drag from a front derailleur hanger can be > the drag from the entire downtube ;-)

You mean that the drag from the entire downtube can be < the drag from a front derailleur hanger. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can remember a journalist having problems to hold a handlebar without tape on the tops and therefore gave a bad review [lol] ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
It's also a good "retort" to those who don't believe that the drag from a front derailleur hanger can be > the drag from the entire downtube ;-)


You mean that the drag from the entire downtube can be < the drag from a front derailleur hanger. ;)

It's all about perspective :-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
I can remember a journalist having problems to hold a handlebar without tape on the tops and therefore gave a bad review [lol] ..

But, when they tape them, the bar sections get too large...and the "journalists" STILL complain :-/

Don't these people wear gloves??



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there any tubed scientific study about aero drag in grams of gloves on journalists own hands in windy tunnels compared to real world facts .. ??


edit: the color (of gloves hopefully doesn't effect drag physically ..)

edit-edit:: irony is a big trap for true cluelessness ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 2, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a cheap way to get reviewers to call your bike “comfortable”. I like the tire clearance we’re seeing out of these disc brake bikes. The idea of training on a 32 and racing on a 23 is very appealing to me.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a cheap way to get reviewers to call your bike “comfortable”. I like the tire clearance we’re seeing out of these disc brake bikes. The idea of training on a 32 and racing on a 23 is very appealing to me.

Hmmm, tires measuring 30-32mm across?...my Stinner clears those with <gasp> rim brakes. How is that possible?? ;-)



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve eyed your steed many-a-time now and contemplated putting a set of drop bar MORF aero bars on it with SRAM hydro rim brakes. Alas, I can’t find anywhere where I can actually see one in person.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’ve eyed your steed many-a-time now and contemplated putting a set of drop bar MORF aero bars on it with SRAM hydro rim brakes. Alas, I can’t find anywhere where I can actually see one in person.

What do you need to see? Let me know and I'll see if I can get a pic for you...

Or, is it you want to "feel" them first? Lever feel up until pad engagement is the same as the disc versions (smooth, and stays that way over time). Statically (bike not moving) the pressure on the lever when the pads engage won't feel as firm as the disc version...but, when actually moving, that's not so much the case.

As you could probably guess, I'm not a big fan of the "see how brakes feel by just squeezing the lever with the bike stationary" test...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Yeah I noticed that. Kind of a cheap way to get reviewers to call your bike “comfortable”. I like the tire clearance we’re seeing out of these disc brake bikes. The idea of training on a 32 and racing on a 23 is very appealing to me.


Hmmm, tires measuring 30-32mm across?...my Stinner clears those with <gasp> rim brakes. How is that possible?? ;-)

And the 38 mm clearance for this S5 is no different than the improved clearance that the 2018 R3 and R5 got across both rim and disc brake versions.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was referring to the Orbea Ordu frame. They’re like unicorns on the east coast.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean you'd have to recable the bike every time you want to raise or lower the handelbars a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I was referring to the Orbea Ordu frame. They’re like unicorns on the east coast.

Not following...I thought you were referring to the SRAM hydro brakes...



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Does this mean you'd have to recable the bike every time you want to raise or lower the handelbars a bit?

No, the spacers slip around the cables. They are not constrained by steerer tube or headset compression so it's pretty versatile for a non standard setup


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I was referring to the Orbea Ordu frame. They’re like unicorns on the east coast.


Not following...I thought you were referring to the SRAM hydro brakes...

To recap: ever since you've posted pictures of your custom Stinner I've contemplated building up an Obrea Ordu with the Sram Hydror Brakes/Levers with the idea being that I could train on relatively large, comfy tires and race on something skinny and fast. Not sure what clearance is like out back but check out the front (below). In the case of the MORF bars, there's a new version coming out where you can remove the drops while leaving the hoods in place. One could potentially go from a drop bar road bike with cushy tires for training and group rides to a respectable TT bike with a simple wheel swap and a couple of quick turns of an Allen key.


Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
rubik wrote:
Does this mean you'd have to recable the bike every time you want to raise or lower the handelbars a bit?


No, the spacers slip around the cables. They are not constrained by steerer tube or headset compression so it's pretty versatile for a non standard setup

That's pretty slick. Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And only 5.5 saves watts from old S5 out of the box to new S5 as engineered with new stem etc isn’t all that impressive; tells me with a better stem and brakes on old S5 may be faster. Begs the question, why is the new version only 5.5 watts faster despite the all the design changes....because it is disc brake?? Or Is the old S5 basically at peak aero??
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes .. the S5 2011 was basically peak aero for a road frame .. the S5 2015 for a road bike .. and the S5 2019 is peak aero for a disc brake road bike .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Quoted for truth. This bike is as fast as its predecessor, and no faster. Just like the P5-X...and the P5. Which is one reason why I am still on a P4.


But mostly because you gave in to the peer pressure to be an unrelenting fanboy.

kileyay wrote:
Weren't you the one complaining about how an ee brake does not provide sufficient stopping power for someone your size?


That problem has become worse. I now outmass you by <100lbs. Every (aero or lightweight) brake other than Campagnolo that I've tried has been unfortunate (test rides on Shimano dual pivot have been fine too). I'd class the discs as pretty similar to eebrakes - I'm descending slower because I can't slow as quickly into corners. Note that my preconception was the opposite (for discs) so I started out riding hard and had a couple of scares.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks cool.
Is that "stem" largely motivated by the need for integrated cables without tight corners? Or is it actually an aerodynamic stiffness thing?

In any case: It reminds me a lot of what Simplon has done with its "Pride":


if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can reason, that stem should be an improvement when it comes to cable bends and stiffness. Aero would be pure speculation. More aero than a run of the mill 31.8 stem? Sure. More aero than something like a Sigma X or similar aero stem? Tough to say.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As described in the tech paper the S5 product manager Mr. Spearmann explained they found in the wind tunnel the airstream attaching to the top tube and closing the low pressure gap behind the rider better with the v stem and - handlebar .. it's not the frontal area and profile only ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 2, 18 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that. Kind of a different approach since in TT we try to get the air to go “around” the rider, not “between” their legs.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. maybe a similar effect as with wider fork stays ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed it, but what happened to the size 61?

I was worried this was going to be like the Canyon Grail, in the sense that it has little adjustment from a fit perspective. I like the separation of stem and bars to allow for different stem length and bar width combinations.

In the white paper, it also discusses the ability to use standard stems and bars and states that their stem is the equivalent of a 6 degree stem. In a subsequent image, it shows a -6 degree stem. Which is it?

And, does anybody know the stem length, handlebar width, and crank arm length per size?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, there is no size 61cm in the geo charts .. it looks like they don't build that stack with the new S5 frame .. the new v stems seem to be made by 3T and they have a own big variety of models, lengths & angles .. the specs per size question should be answered (& individual speced !?) by a Cervélo dealer ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 2, 18 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is the S5 thread, but what's the deal with the S3? Are they doing a rim brake version in the new design? Also, what's the deal with Novatec wheels on a $7k bike?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cevélo S3 2019 .. it looks like the deal is it's a US$ 4.200 frame with UDi2 & disc brakes .. and hey, they made a website with all infos we have for you !!



___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 2, 18 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really is a pretty good deal. I'd love to get more info on the bar and stem.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! $15,000CAN.....OUCH.

So whats the vote here? Cannondale Trek or Cervelo for 2018 disc aero? Price points are near same.

@rhyspencer
Http://www.rhysspencer.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
To recap: ever since you've posted pictures of your custom Stinner I've contemplated building up an Obrea Ordu with the Sram Hydror Brakes/Levers with the idea being that I could train on relatively large, comfy tires and race on something skinny and fast. Not sure what clearance is like out back but check out the front (below). In the case of the MORF bars, there's a new version coming out where you can remove the drops while leaving the hoods in place. One could potentially go from a drop bar road bike with cushy tires for training and group rides to a respectable TT bike with a simple wheel swap and a couple of quick turns of an Allen key.


I've got about 5 mm of clearance on each side at the back wheel with 25 mm power competition tyres on 17 mm internal rims.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent a message to Cervelo via their website and got a reply:

48cm
Stem: 90mm
Crank arm length: 170mm
Handlebar width: 40cm

51cm
Stem: 90mm
Crank arm length: 170mm
Handlebar width: 40cm

54cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 172.5mm
Handlebar width: 42cm

56cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 172.5mm
Handlebar width: 42cm

58cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 175mm
Handlebar width: 44cm

With stems ranging in length from 80-130mm, at least we have some room to work.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Cevélo S3 2019 .. it looks like the deal is it's a US$ 4.200 frame with UDi2 & disc brakes .. and hey, they made a website with all infos we have for you !!



It would be nice if they at least put up a rendering of the rim brake model :-/

edit: I see in the "6 models available" section, there's actually an image of the rim brake frameset. Based on what look like bosses on the fork and seat stays, it appears it will be taking direct-mount brakes:




http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 3, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing the info !!

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply


This appears to be the rim version.
Maybe integrated gear cables?
Partially integrated brake cable?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Wow! $15,000CAN.....OUCH.

So whats the vote here? Cannondale Trek or Cervelo for 2018 disc aero? Price points are near same.

Wait til you see the Felt AR Disc....that should be a consideration too.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. man does that new hp load slow .. just checked the R db / rim versions .. since they changed the shape of the seat stays attaching the seat post that would be the most interesting detail for me ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. oha, direkt mount bosses .. it really is they want all costumers to buy/get/have new brakes ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
.. oha, direkt mount bosses .. it really is they want all costumers to buy/get/have new brakes ..

I'm fine with that...I just wish the direct-mount "standard" had been designed with wider than 28mm wide tires in mind. There's really no practical reason the posts couldn't have been spaced out further :-/



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
rhys wrote:
Wow! $15,000CAN.....OUCH.

So whats the vote here? Cannondale Trek or Cervelo for 2018 disc aero? Price points are near same.

Wait til you see the Felt AR Disc....that should be a consideration too.

Go on...
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. hm, a special technique to clean the frame behind the calipers is needed .. one more reason for the tririg solution (even the new cleaning technique is needed) ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really nice color schemes for Sunweb Cervelo bikes 2019! Anyone seen how they look for the P5 version?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am bummed they don't have a 140mm stem


Travis R wrote:
I sent a message to Cervelo via their website and got a reply:

48cm
Stem: 90mm
Crank arm length: 170mm
Handlebar width: 40cm

51cm
Stem: 90mm
Crank arm length: 170mm
Handlebar width: 40cm

54cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 172.5mm
Handlebar width: 42cm

56cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 172.5mm
Handlebar width: 42cm

58cm
Stem: 100mm
Crank arm length: 175mm
Handlebar width: 44cm

With stems ranging in length from 80-130mm, at least we have some room to work.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
.. oha, direkt mount bosses .. it really is they want all costumers to buy/get/have new brakes ..

Personally I'm a fan of direct mount brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Personally I'm a fan of direct mount brakes.

I wasn't previously but now that Campag 12s has them as an option I'm fine with the idea.
S3 rim looking like a very nice option, though still waiting to see more info about the headset/steerer arrangement.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question:

Cervelo S5 or BMC Timemachine road ?!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BMC is a little lower in front, so that might be a factor.
Other than that, they have a pretty similar feature set so it's down to what appeals most to you.
Or what you can get hold of (no BMC where I am)


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The BMC is a little lower in front, so that might be a factor.
Other than that, they have a pretty similar feature set so it's down to what appeals most to you.
Or what you can get hold of (no BMC where I am)

Tks for the insights man !
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how the frame set looks like (with some color) without disc brakes (mounted) ..



___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Wow! $15,000CAN.....OUCH.

So whats the vote here? Cannondale Trek or Cervelo for 2018 disc aero? Price points are near same.

all 3 look pretty good to me. Am i allowed to ask what they weigh (or is that a slowtwitch banned question?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkT_d2OTgv0
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this color is actually quite nice in person. the bottom part almost looks army green in darker light and lighter in brighter lighting
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new S5 frame is announced to count 100g less than the former model and should ready for assembly be around 950g in size 58cm, but that's the weight only ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
The new S5 frame is announced to count 100g less than the former model and should ready for assembly be around 950g in size 58cm, but that's the weight only ..
Any info on the S3 weights?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The S3 frame was build with slightly less material than the S5 frame as far as I remember, the new one I don't know yet ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 9, 18 22:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero AND light....a requirement!

@rhyspencer
Http://www.rhysspencer.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Any info on the S3 weights?

Can't quickly recall where I saw that, but AFAIK, around 1100g for frame (possibly lower grade carbon used)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see the measurement and calibration protocol of the applied scaling and scale ..

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Last edited by: sausskross: Oct 10, 18 3:11
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Thorax wrote:
Any info on the S3 weights?

Can't quickly recall where I saw that, but AFAIK, around 1100g for frame (possibly lower grade carbon used)
Ugh, that's too high. The bike looks good, but at that weight 5 year old competition beats it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.


Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.


Just sayin'...[/quote]
Hi Tom,

Was listening to the FLO podcast with you the other day, and you reminding me of this super nice pic you posted.

Just trying to make my brain "clear" about this : like you say the cylinder and the aeroshape have the same drag coefficient "Cd" , but the frontal area "A" is still smaller for the cylinder. Thus the CdA (Cd x A) is still smaller for the small cylinder. Is that correct of am I missing something ?

Thanks

Ps : those two podcasts with you were great !
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
pyf wrote:
Tom A. wrote:


That's right. So if it takes 250 watts to go 25mph with the old bike, now you can go 25mph with 244.5 watts. It's a marginal gain...but still a gain. Plus the new bike looks great...never a fan of the current one in the looks department.


Hmmm...I wonder what the front brake and front and rear brake cable housing loops on the previous gen were "worth"? ;-)

To calibrate y'all on the "cost" of brake cable housing, here's a little demo fixture I took some pictures of at the Win Tunnel a few weeks ago. These 2 objects have the same drag. The small cyclinder is the same outer diameter as a piece of cable housing.


Just sayin'...


Hi Tom,

Was listening to the FLO podcast with you the other day, and you reminding me of this super nice pic you posted.

Just trying to make my brain "clear" about this : like you say the cylinder and the aeroshape have the same drag coefficient "Cd" , but the frontal area "A" is still smaller for the cylinder. Thus the CdA (Cd x A) is still smaller for the small cylinder. Is that correct of am I missing something ?

Thanks

Ps : those two podcasts with you were great !


Actually, you have it the opposite way around. The CdAs of those 2 objects are the same, and thus the drag force is the same for each. Obviously, with the wing section having a so much larger A, it's Cd is significantly lower. Round sections perpendicular to the airflow have fairly high Cd.

One interesting thing they are illustrating on those demo units is that the drag on an object can be estimated by the size of the turbulent wake trailing the object. That's what those pairs of lines leading up to and after each shape represent.

I'm glad you enjoyed the podcasts. As painful as it is to hear one's own recorded voice, I thought they turned out well too. Thanks!



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 8, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom,

It had to be one or the other... and without any legend on that picture I was not sure ;-))) .
But now that I think a bit more about it, it makes sense, Cd of a sphere is about 10 times greater than Cd of an airfoil... so frontal area A can be about 10 times bigger for the airfoil compare to A of the sphere before they have the same CdA...
Thanks again ;-)


Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of front derailleurs, anyone know if the FD mount on the new S5 is removable?

Zooming in on the Frameset image on the Cervelo site, looks like it's riveted.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is riveted on...unfortunately. I wanted to build one up with 1x AXS just because...but going for 2x now only because I don't want the hanger hanging out there...not aesthetically pleasing in my eyes (and before someone says you can remove it with the right tools...I know...I just don't want to do that either.)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [justridingalong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's so disappointing. And, yea, I wouldn't be drilling out rivets on a $5,000 frame either!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo S5 2019 [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easier to cut the handle bar .. if you don't need the drops // pink

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster ..
Quote Reply