Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Thread!

On race day, do I simply do a pre-race ride to ensure the unit is operating correctly, check the offset and/or manually zero it, rack my bike, turn my joule 2.0 off (or leave it on), jump on my bike after the swim and hit 'mode' to turn it on?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [TriathleteEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your pre-ride with your PowerTap a day or so before. I guess checking the offset is a good best practice but there's nothing you can do about it if something is off - except hope that a Manual Zero brings it back in sync. During transition setup I'd turn on the Joule 2.0 make sure it can "Find" your hub and any other devices like HR strap. Let it go back to sleep and then after the swim, hit the Mode button while you are changing and you should be good to go. In dozens of races of varying distances I've never had a problem with my PowerTap. That said, the Joule GPS stopped counting TSS at 500 last year during an Epic event (203 miles) that I did. PowerTap just fixed that and increased it to 5000...we'll see if I can get to 5000 anytime soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the PowerTap G3 with a Garmin Edge 500.

The hub is 6 months old with about 1000 kms on it. It worked flawlessly until today. Seemingly randomly in what started as a normal ride, the power readings were in the 3000-4000W range for a normally 150W output. I re-calibrated with the garmin edge. At zero torque the calibration reading is 239. In the past this was in the range of 510-515. I have changed the battery, updated the firmware, and tried resetting by removed the cap for 10 seconds. It has not changed anything. Calibration reading is 239.

Am I a victim or can this be corrected somehow? Does anyone have enough knowledge about these powertap hubs to explain how it could randomly move so far from normal calibration? I don't know if I have the patience to deal with this. I would like an explanation as to how this is possible before I go through the hassle of trying to send a wheel in for re-calibration. How can I be sure this is not going to be a regular occurrence. Not sure what to do. I researched power meter options for years before making the leap with my money to the Powertap G3. Now I am not only disappointed in the hub but in myself for this decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted this on the main forum. Cross-posting here for more looks.

I have a new PowerTap G3 11spd compatible hub. I have a Shimano Ultegra 6700 drive train and 10 spd 11-28 cassette installed.

When I received the G3 hub/wheel, I used the provided spacer - see picture below. The cassette loaded on no problem and I was able to screw the lock-ring on and tighten without any issues. The ONLY issue I experienced was my shifting was off, way off...by about one cog. Meaning I couldn't get into my 28 at all. Took it to the LBS and in 30 seconds they adjusted my limit screw and dialed in my shifting. Rode 4.5 hours yesterday, no issues.

My question is...have I installed the G3 hub with the 10 spd cassette correctly? The chart here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...acers_2013_3978.html
says I need both a 1.85 and 1.0 mm spacers installed. Like I said, all I have is the black spacer provided by PowerTap with the G3 hub. Even though it shifts fine, am I really okay long-term to not have the other spacer included?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one more question...this is going to sound a little goofy but I'm serious. There's a little red rubber band that is on the freehub body, seemingly there for just keeping the spacer on while there's no cassette. Serious question...is this rubber band supposed to be left on when the cassette is installed? Or, should it be removed before the cassette is put on?

See the red rubber band closest to the fingers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

Do you guys plan to update the Joule for SM-EWW01 compatibility?

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Strava
Classifieds FS | WTB
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rubber band only serves to hold the spacer on. Remove before flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a used SL+ wheelset. Took it to my bike shop, asked them to change out the battery. I assumed they did since I paid for it, and it sat in my garage a few months. When I took it out for a test, I couldn't sync it to my Garmin. I changed out the battery and I got it back.

Since, I had a few rides, but nothing more than a couple hours worth. I did a gran fondo today, and I was getting readings during the whole ride. After parking my bike, getting some food, it wouldn't sync anymore. I had about 6:40 of use today. Is that all I get?

Anyone else have this kind of an issue? Thinking I might have to just send it in to get looked at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the G3 with a garmin edge 500. It is very new with approximately 1000 kms on it. The season has basically just begun and it was built over the winter.

It worked flawlessly until yesterday. On a normal ride it started out with normal readings. During the ride, the power readings became extremely high 3000-4000W range for a normal 150W output. I did all the checks when I returned home. I updated firmware, replaced the battery, tried 10 sec reset. My garmin edge displays 239 for the calibration reading at zero torque. I remember in the past it was approx. 510. What are my options here? This thing is basically brand new. I can't understand why it would suddenly need to be re-calibrated. What would cause this to happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jmomentum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with someone at Powertap and they said the calibration numbers should be between 500 to 525. Anything outside can mean many other things. My issue I'm unsure. I ordered a new battery holder. Will replace batteries today and see if that works in the meantime, so I can see my calibration numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gohmdoree wrote:
I spoke with someone at Powertap and they said the calibration numbers should be between 500 to 525. Anything outside can mean many other things. My issue I'm unsure. I ordered a new battery holder. Will replace batteries today and see if that works in the meantime, so I can see my calibration numbers.

I hope you can get an easy solution.

I almost had a panic attack at the start of my Saturday ride. I did a firmware update when I got home and with a new battery. The hub is back in business.

With this particular hub it has been consistent to show a value between 496 to 500. I have done a static weight test when I first had the wheel built and the hub is within 2% of accuracy in that range 496 to 500. Most of my older PT hubs were higher like 519 +/-.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ies-and-updates.html
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do all hubs have the capability of being updated with firmware?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think only the G3 and GS hubs can be firmware updated at the owner's home.
Hopefully your issue is something minor like the battery connection.

I am not sure if I am allowed to state this, but you can also talk to a representative at wheelbuilder.com. I have used them in the past for repair on PowerTap hubs. They are an authorized repair center from what I understand and sometimes do partial repairs instead of complete rebuilds. Just an option and it will not come to something as extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode to work on Friday in some serious rain, PowerTap worked all morning. On the ride home, in perfect spring weather, I could not get it to pair at all.

I changed the batteries and it finally paired, but it has stopped displaying power and cadence. When I 'calibrate' on the Garmin it displays 4057 every time.

It is an older Pro+/Open Pro from when competitive cyclist was having their blowout sale, probably about 2 seasons old now.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going through a battery every three weeks with my new G3.... any ideas?

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the latest firmware?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not... I must have updated mine in early March because there was another version from late March.

So I did the update, hope that it helps.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone could help with this wierd situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running a powertap pro+ hub paired to a garmin edge 510. The batteries in the hub were replaced roughly a month or two ago. My issue is that the powertap will cut out roughly 2 hours into the ride, and won't reconnect to the garmin. However, by the time I start a new ride it is working fine-- at least until the two hour mark. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap SL on DT Swiss wheel, Garmin 910. About 16 months old. Wheel was sent in about 2 months ago for a spoke rebuild, wheelbuilder checked the hub said it was calibrating fine, I assume they checked the firmware (but not sure)

Problem started with getting calibration numbers of 77X. Usually calibrated in the 49X range. During these rides, it would not display power when pedaling, but coasting I'd get random numbers. Sometimes would calibrate and would work fine. Getting more frequent now though, and getting weirder calibration numbers, like -25X, 3XXX, etc. At Escape from Alcatraz last weekend frustration reached its peak - it kept giving the 3XXX numbers when I tried to calibrate in the a.m., took several tries, but finally got it to 49X and left for the swim (910 stayed on). Got to the bike after the swim, no power reading at all.

I will be contacting wheelbuilder, but wondering if this is something common or well known and/or there is some fix without sending the wheel in (again). Did some googling but didn't see anything on this.

TIA

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jmomentum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posted similar issues. Any resolution? Is this thread dead or is powertap still answering questions? Kinda sucks when you plan to race with power and can't rely on the f'ing thing working on race day
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have wondered if anyone from PowerTap cares...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a powertap about 8 months old. first ride outside this weekend. it tells me the battery is low so i change and now my 910xt cant detect it. i go to the 'search' function and hit that and it backs out and does nothing. dont know if this is a 910xt thing or powertap thing. please help.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also having issues.
Changed the battery 3 times from my Powertap G3 hub and still won't pair with my Garmin 810.
It was working flawlessly one day and the day after happened this.
Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [storopoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is my power tap set to record every second automatically out of the box? Asking for a G3
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [wsuhoops1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a function of the head unit, not the PM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next