Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque?
Quote | Reply
I was intrigued to recently learn that Orbeas are made in Basque country. I know "Ordu" means "time" - anyone know if the brand name "Orbea" means anything or what "Ora" means? Someone told me it roughly translates as "way cooler looking and far more original than the comparably-priced P2C......."
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [bachorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ora means "cheaper then Ordu" hope this help!

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure "Orbea" means "Trek".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think 'Orbea' is Basque per se. There is a genus of plants in the milkweed family called Orbea. They have stinky, fly-pollinated flowers.

Orbea have unusual five-lobed flowers, generally with a raised ring or annulus around the centre. This ring (Latin: ring=orbis) accounts for the name of the genus.

I'm also going to take a wild guess that Ora means hour.
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [ilima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbea (and Escutia) I am sure, is a Basque last name.

My guess on "Ora" is that it means "to hold" or "to grab".

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Orbea is a Basque last name. Derived from orbe, meaning "plot", "ground", "lot" (the latter in its Am Eng sense), so orbea means "the plot", "the ground", "the lot".

And for what it's worth, or means "dog" in some of the Northern dialects of Basque (the usual word for dog is txakur or zakur), so ora means "the dog". I doubt it has anything to do with the bike name.

Ordu means "hour", and only means time in the sense of "what time is it?" (Zer ordu da?), etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [ilima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm also going to take a wild guess that Ora means hour.[/quote]
I believe you are thinking of "hora", the spanish word for hour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this one.

From Wikipedia:
The Komodo dragon is also known as the Komodo monitor or the Komodo Island monitor in scientific literature, although this is not very common.[1] To the natives of Komodo Island, it is referred to as ora, buaya darat ("land crocodile") or biawak raksasa ("giant monitor").[

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Orbea is the name of brothers that started the company back in 1800's when they made steel tubing and firearms.
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [Ttown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That´s right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Someone told me it roughly translates as "copycat P3-like styling and far slower than the comparably-priced P2C......."

There...I fixed your post for you ;-)

BTW, "ora" in Spanish means "now".

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [Ttown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what they did before turning to a bike company : http://republicanos.bravehost.com/orbea.html
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"ahora" means now. A friend told me that Ora and Ordu are Basque, I think I remember one of them meaning or having something to do with the word "time"? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, Wikipedia says Ordu means "army" in Turkish, so that's kinda neat.
Quote Reply
Re: What do "Orbea" and "Ora" mean in Basque? [slowhokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"ahora" means now. A friend told me that Ora and Ordu are Basque, I think I remember one of them meaning or having something to do with the word "time"? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, Wikipedia says Ordu means "army" in Turkish, so that's kinda neat.
See my reply above, which you can verify in any good Basque-English dictionary (e.g., Gorka Aulestia, Basque-English Dictionary, Univ of Nevada Press). But you are right that ahora is the correct Spanish word for "now".
Last edited by: arty blartfast: Dec 17, 08 15:20
Quote Reply