Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday...
Quote | Reply
Got hit by a truck from behind on the highway, and can't believe how little damage was done. They always say that people who ride bikes a lot have weak bones in their lower bodies (especially old guys like me), but they took a bunch of x-rays and didn't find anything. The sensation when I got hit was like a brick wall slamming into me at high speed. I knew what had happened and didn't know if I'd be alive when I hit the ground. Luckily I landed in tall grass, so all the damage happened in the initial impact. I was fully conscious... didn't hit my head hard. I thought for sure my left pelvis and leg would be broken. Figured I probably shouldn't try to move just to be on the safe side. First thing I did was call my wife and tell her where I was, because I didn't know if the guy would stop and didn't know how long it would be before someone noticed me laying there (I was in a rural area). I wanted to make sure somebody knew in case I passed out . The driver did come back around though and called an ambulance, and some other people stopped and put some blankets on me... it was raining a little and ~60 degrees.

It didn't seem like he made any evasive maneuvers and didn't put on the brakes... he didn't know I was there until he hit me. I was wearing a bright green and orange jersey, and the visibility was pretty good, so I'm not sure what he was doing. He didn't even know what part of his truck or trailer might have hit me. I had a piece of orange plastic stuck in my hip though, so there should be some corresponding damage on the truck.

He was very apologetic and was obviously torn up about it, and didn't try to make excuses... nice guy. He also looked like someone who would be well insured...

The relative speed was at least 30mph and it seemed like a pretty solid hit on my left hip, and then my left arm and lower leg. There is a big bruise on the inside of my left knee that probably corresponds to the busted top tube on the bike. I really can't believe I didn't break anything. The most worrisome issue is a sharp pain in my lower back when I move... but I can hobble around well enough. I keep thinking that I've been more debilitated than this when I've had a bad back spasm, but this will probably take a lot longer to heal. I'm feeling pretty sore all over the left side of my body, but also super lucky at the moment... it could have been a lot worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Glad you're okay. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Drew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're doing alright. For what it's worth, if you're going to get hit, might as well get hit by a considerate person. I was lucky when I was hit, the guy who hit me acted the same way. He was more shook up than I was.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Jul 30, 10 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading your story I think I am going to follow Jordan's recommendation following his accident and ride with front and rear flashing lights, even during the day.

By no means am I saying you did anything wrong, just that the flashing of the lights might be more likely to catch a driver's attention, especially those drivers coming up from behind you.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow,

Yeah, you got extremely lucky with the circumstances and all.

And that the guy stopped is close to miraculous.... still a few decent people out there who take responsibility for their actions.

See an orthopedist because of the back! That may turn out to be a drag.

Speedy recovery.

Quote | Reply
but the running part adds to your bone density

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! I am pretty sure Bruce Willis starred in an M. Night Shamalayn movie based on your life.

Hope everything clears up quickly!

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very glad to hear you're ok!

Like a previous poster, I've started worrying more and more about this kind of thing (especially after reading Jordan's story). I recently bought a little cateye rear flasher that attaches to my seat post. Who knows if it helps but I guess it makes me feel a tad better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. At least you get to enjoy the experience of buying a new bike, make the most of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Congratulations on being alive. Take care of yourself, and be sure to leave no stone unturned upon medical examinations in the near future, if only to guard yourself legally. Best wishes for a quick recovery. . . and, eventually, you'll have to post a new ride! =D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, call a lawyer. The insurance companies are not out for your best interest. Neither is the lawyer, but at least you don't get screwed by everyone.

I'm glad it turned out decent.

Heal fast.

CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! I'm glad you're OK. I do believe you may have used up more than just one bonus life surviving that episode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice guy. He also looked like someone who would be well insured...

Similar thing happened to a training buddy. Soon you will find out how nice a guy he really is.
Glad you're ok.

Quote Reply
Re: Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Soon you will find out how nice a guy he really is."

As sad as it sounds, nowadays all the credit you can get for being a human being is for not running.

With the legal poisoning and status of health care in your society, everything form there on will be a fight by default.
With everybody losing except lawyers and insurance underwriters.

Quote | Reply
ruff wuff ruff wuff

what doesn't kill you makes you.....!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday... [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! I am pretty sure Bruce Willis starred in an M. Night Shamalayn movie based on your life.

That's what I was saying when the doc told me there were no fractures (Unbreakable)! If you had asked me right after the impact what I thought the odds of that were, I'd have guessed <0.1%

Thanks for all the good wishes!

I just talked to the guy who hit me, and he can't believe I didn't break anything either. He has been trying to track me down since they took me away, and the local hospital wouldn't tell him anything. He figured they'd flown me to El Paso or Albuquerque for surgery. Sounds like he was genuinely worried, as I think any decent person would be. I also found out he is 82... possibly poor eyesight could have something to do with it.

The driver has Geico insurance... how are they to deal with?

I have a friend who is a lawyer and he's told me to let him review any settlement before I sign. Yes, planning to get the "soft tissue damage" evaluated soon.

Bone density... I don't run, so I don't have that going for me.

Blinkie lights... I used them all the time in Hawaii when it was raining (which was often), but around here I so rarely ride in the rain that I didn't think it was necessary. On a clear day they don't seem to add much... but I will look into that again.

Last edited by: rruff: Jul 30, 10 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what my wife and I use. We use it all the time. Day, night, rain, clear, etc...
http://www.amazon.com/...280521881&sr=1-4

It's very visible during the day and really catches your eye when driving through shadows.

Just last night I was riding hills as the sun was setting and we where riding straight into the sun. When my wife and the riders around her rode into the shadows of the trees and the sun glared off my sunglasses (much like a windshield), the ONLY thing I could see of the bikes was her blinking light.

Folks, it may not be cool, it may not be aero, but neither is a casket.
Quote Reply
Re: Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday... [oktriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm another one who started using front and rear blinkies during the day as a result of Jordan's story. I think so many people drive around, myself included, on autopilot. We've got a lot of distractions and a lot on our minds these days. Maybe a flashing light is just enough to make a few motorists stap out of it and pay attention to me for a moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Planet Bike Superflash looked great... until I saw all the reports of them dying in the rain. Have you had that issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucky you glad you are okay. I had a young girl look right through me as she made a left today. I ended up 3 inches from the driver side door. Actually heard and saw her say "Oh shit". Anyway glad you are only briused and I hope the back pain goes away quick for you. Post some pics of the after math

Quote | Reply
Haven't had an issue with it at all on either of our bikes. Mine is attached under my seat post though. If it was out on a rack or something I could see where you might have an issue. But seriously you would with almost every other blinky I've seen too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pleased to hear that your injuries don't appear to be too serious, but don't sign anything until you've thoroughly checked things out and consulted with an attorney whose judgment you trust. Hope you recover soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whew. glad to hear you're still with us!
Last edited by: shumphries: Jul 30, 10 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Those Planet Bike Superflash looked great... until I saw all the reports of them dying in the rain. Have you had that issue?

Apparently they improved the gaskets and clips in ~ 2008 so the current production units should be fine. The units also have a lifetime
guarantee with free parts shipping to add to the plus side of the equation. Many cyclists ride with more than one at a time. Last Saturday
we saw a gal riding the IMLP course and were amazed at how far away she stood out. Another cyclist at half the distance was barely
noticeable while her strobe was impossible to miss. One possible down side might be trying to draft someone riding with one of these.
You might suffer retinal damage;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you feel a day after? Sometimes the day after part is worse. Glad you're ok.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should ask... the joy of having survived is on the wane, while the frustration with only being able to shuffle (painfully) around is on the rise. But isn't that how it always goes? Seems like I have more aches today than yesterday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next