Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right?
Quote | Reply
Alright, I need some opinions on something.

I'm relatively "young" in the sport; I've been doing it for about 6 years, but I'm still pretty young and hadn't even been born yet when the sport was invented and getting off the ground. So, I really missed my opportunity to jump on the speedo-racing bandwagon, which is a shame. By the time I got into the sport, it was all tri-suits and two piece singlets.

But I ask you... why NOT race in a speedo? Is there some kind of serious performance disadvantage? Or are you all just too scared to see my massive and manly (and extremely un-tanned) thighs?

Why NOT start a speedo resurgence in the sport? If you need any further inspiration, lets look at our 2005 World Champion; Faris, you burritto-loving fool, you are an inspiration to me and the rest of our generation.

Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than modesty, I would say that tri shorts can help avoid some potentially gnarly chaffing.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried running more than 5k in a speedo? If your legs are as massive as you say, try it and you'll know why. The chafe from hell!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HELL YEAH!!

That picture is awesome.

And for the record, last winter I did a 5k run/12mi bike/5k run duathlon in a Speedo. Except for the fact it was 45 degrees out, it was glorious. My performance was lackluster, but I guess I'm wondering if it was the speedo, or the fact that I was 20 lbs heavier than I am right now.

I think chafing is simply nature's way of saying, "you looked so good it hurt".

Quote | Reply
Chafing not only on the run, but the bike too! I think the Speedo guys seriously lube up their saddles with Vaseline to avoid that.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it works for you, keep with it.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
HELL YEAH!!

That picture is awesome.

And for the record, last winter I did a 5k run/12mi bike/5k run duathlon in a Speedo. Except for the fact it was 45 degrees out, it was glorious. My performance was lackluster, but I guess I'm wondering if it was the speedo, or the fact that I was 20 lbs heavier than I am right now.

I think chafing is simply nature's way of saying, "you looked so good it hurt".
Awesome. Truly poking a finger in the eye of others' judgementalism. You are to be commended. Just to be funny, I might get a couple buddies to do a sprint in leopard print speedos.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a few in my speedo when I was starting out (I put on biking shorts over it in T1). It didn't work out so well for me because the seams on the speedo were right there on the sit bones. I had oozing open wounds there after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who says its wrong? A bunch of internet forum fashion police? Overly sensitive youngsters in the US? Don't listen to these groups, from what I've seen most youngsters now-adays don't even feel comfortable being naked in a mens changing room.

However, having said that, it worked fine for me for sprints where I used speedo for entire race, but in first oly, chafing on bike was bad enough by ~ mi. 20 that it definitely had an impact on performance, and I don't have massive thighs, in fact just the opposite.

edit: sorry, meant to reply to OP.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Last edited by: unclerock: Jun 10, 08 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hmmmmm..............?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I like racing in a Speedo. I used to do it but it has certainly fallen out of favor. Here I am in the good old days:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically do the New Year Duathlon in just a speedo. I never experienced any pain or chaffing. I believe I was going plenty fast this last year I was in the top 10.

I run and ride in a speedo going to and from the swim club in the summer right now. i have not had any problems yet.

Skinsuits are more aero when it comes to the bike though. So I doubt I will do any race I care about with just a speedo.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...from what I've seen most youngsters now-adays don't even feel comfortable being naked in a mens changing room.

What group are you talking about? The youngsters I hear about in the news are always getting in trouble for e-mailing/text messaging pictures of themselves nude, or putting them up on their myspace page. I think they just don't want to be throwing their junk out there for all you pervy old folks to gawk at.

If you're a big enough exhibitionist to race in a speedo, go for it, but expect to be jeered everywhere you go. I typically give encouraging words to people I see on a racecourse, but I passed a dude wearing a purple speedo w/ his last name printed across the back on Sunday, and all I could do was shake my head and resist the temptation to "crack wise" about his choice of attire.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That picture is GLORIOUS.

Bonus points for the color coordination of the speedo and singlet; that's hard to find these days! All I seem to find for sale are black tri speedos that I have to try and match with my garishly colored tri tops.

I think you really need to go through your closet and see if you still have those Oakley shields; because if you do, I want to buy them. Name your price!!

And for the post that just came up from Styk33, you sir, embolden us all with your full embrace of the speedo lifestyle. While I can at least rationalize your decision not to do an A race in one, I commend you for your dedication to rockin the hammock in training.

Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, I like racing in a Speedo. I used to do it but it has certainly fallen out of favor. Here I am in the good old days:

Forget the speedo, I'm all about the shades!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What group are you talking about?
[/quote]
for the most part, talking about ~20 - 35 year olds, can't always be sure looking back from high 40's! I'm happy for any words in a race vs. no support at all, but don't don the speedo anymore except for masters swimming. found DeSoto powershorts much more comfortable on the bike.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I like to train in what I race in. It is dangerous enough wearing a singlet...I would hate to imagine what would happen if I was to ride and run in a speedo.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have issues with chafing...best to stick with longer shorts. Otherwise disregard all the prudish people and rock a speedo. If I could find my old QR speedo I'd be totally rockin' it at the Charleston Sprint series this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those Oakley shields or Factory Pilots, either way they are way cool
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [dirtydan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Forget the speedo, I'm all about the shades!
Forget the speedo AND the shades.. I'm all about those SOCK RACERS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it Tom, the shades, the Nike Sock racers, it reminds me of High School Cross Country (well except for the speedo).

So no other racers in sight, are you winning the race? -or- is that just how you dressed to go for a run in Chicago in the 80's :-)
Last edited by: BK: Jun 10, 08 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you really need to go through your closet and see if you still have those Oakley shields; because if you do, I want to buy them. Name your price!!
Not shields. Oakley factory pilots. I used to have a pair in yellow, and vicious props for the sock racers!

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Speedo Racing; if it's wrong, why does it feel so right? [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Overly sensitive youngsters in the US?.....most youngsters now-adays don't even feel comfortable being naked in a mens changing room. "

I don't know what about it is with kids today, but they definately have a lot more body image hang ups than ever before. I know a lot of them are fatter than in previous generations but they're also constantly bombarded with unrealistic body images on the mass media.

The other day I was laying around the backyard swimming pool with my 19 yr old son. I'm 56 yrs old wearing a speedo and my son is in a "swimming suit" that is about ten times too big, dangles past his knees and has enough material to substitute as a circus tent. Perfect drag suit I suppose, but not really designed for swimming in. I really don't get the potatoe sack fit fashions the kids wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from what I've seen most youngsters now-adays don't even feel comfortable being naked in a mens changing room.

2 Questions:

1. You sound like a guy who IS comfortable being naked in the locker room- are you one of those dudes who hangs out and blow dries his sack?

2. You've noticed that today's youth seem uncomfortable being naked- perhaps because some old dude is checking out their prepubescent package while blow drying his chewing gum?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply

Prev Next