Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ran the CDA course today...
Quote | Reply
So after 2 days and 180 miles of riding on the CDA bike course (2 bricks), we decided it would be a good idea to do a long run on the run course this morning. the weather this morning was perfect for running (50s and cloudy). After getting my legs under me, I was able to push race pace for the whole run with some drops to 10k pace. I incorporated the entire course into my out and back today. With the run down the trail from the hotel, and the extra wwe tacked on over and above the far turn around, we managed a 22 miler.

Here are some observations on the course:
  • The first section, which is the shorter out and back, is totally flat. Should be a good spot to get your legs under you after the ride. You may have to consciously slow down to keep from going out to hard. (I recite, "chill out, chill out")
  • Once back into town, the street that takes you through town has a little rise to it.
  • Once in to the neighborhood, the course stats to undulate. I think you need to be careful here because it would be easy to think, "This is just a 200 yard "little" hill, I'll just hammer and get over it. However, much like the bike course, these little risers continue through the entire neighborhood section. If you are going after a run time, you might try and maintain pace through this section. But if you are in the "I hope I can finish," or "I just want to keep running" group, I'd be careful in this section.
  • Once you make the right-hander onto Lakeside drive, you have a slight uphill drag to the new condos along the water.
  • One note on sighting the out and back along the lake: landmarks look deceptively far away. The condos by the water, the corner that turns back north before the Italian restaurant, the elevated highway, the turn around. Deceptive because they look far away, BUT it doesn't take as long as you'll think to cover the distance. This kind of reminds me of the ski jump at Lake Placid. I found myself saying, "holy crap, that's a long way to that point." And then, I was there. On race day, it's going to be important to stay focused on shorter reference points. As in, run to that post. Run to that sign. Hold pace to that dock, etc.
  • The turn around hill is challenging. Don't hammer! It's similar to the hill in Placid after the right hand turn coming back to town. It took me 4 minutes to get to the turn after the hill started (About 7.45 pace).
  • The run back is fast. If you can keep yourself feeling good, this should be a speed section.
  • Same advice for the neighborhood section as above when finishing loop 1.
  • While going through the neighborhood on loop 2, DON'T SLACK. This is the time to suffer. Because once you are out of the neighborhood, you are on the finishing street and you're done. No regrets!

Overall, this should be a fast run. Easier than Placid, maybe on par with AZ.

Good Luck!
Last edited by: josherdog: Dec 5, 10 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [josherdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hill at the turn around is a painful one. For those who haven't run it, don't underestimate how much it will hurt on the second loop. I did mile repeats up and down it last week and was hurting by the 3rd trip up it. I heard it doesn't got as far up the hill as it has in the past but not sure how true that is. Running along the lake is really nice, it should be nice a cool. Bathrooms too. There is a gravel path parallel to the pavement that will feel good after pounding the pavement. Also, the houses as you head out of town are spectacular. Watch for the one with the gargoyle. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, after you pass the golf course, on the longer downhill (on way out, or uphill coming back... but it's not steep, so don't worry), there is a chip mat. Be sure to look at the electronic board next to it, as they will give you a personal message.

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for another informative post... I'm getting ready to leave for a long run and your posts have me pretty fired up. I can't wait for this thing to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The turn looks like a wall.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the turn is a wall. And it can be painful both up and down, depending on your fatigue. The good news is it is not very long. And if you walk up it, you'll only be a few yards back from where you'd be if you ran it.

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the G2. This is great information.
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'd describe the turn around hill as a wall. It starts pretty gradual and does kick, but you're really not on it for long. I think the climb at mile 12 and 24 of Placid is much steeper and longer. I'd compare it to the hill on the back side of IMAZ.

Also, the profile on the NAS sight from above just looks off to me. The whole section along Lakeside just seems much, MUCH flatter than that groph represents.

Of course, as me how easy this course was sometime in the evening of the 22nd as I comsume a tasty IV from the medical tent! You'll probably get a different answer, or maybe just a moan....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the other one.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The graph does make it look hilly, but then you realize the entire green band is only 50 feet, and most of the "hills" are only half of it. I would say the run was mostly flat (first out and back - completely flat.... leg alongside the lake - completely flat), with just some very mile easy rolling hills through the residential and downtown areas, and a short but steep climb at the turn. From the graph, it looks like less than 100 feet vertical up the turnaround hill.

For that matter, I don't even understand why there are any bumps on the graph near the turnaround. I recall that as a couple of miles along the water's edge with no hill whatsoever before/after the turnround.
Quote Reply
Re: Ran the CDA course today... [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this profile looks really messy. The bumps must be cracks in the pavement :-)

Definately not this many hills.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply