Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Peeing in an Ironman.
Quote | Reply
I have my first IM coming up and haven't really thought of this until now. I go pee several times over the course of a long training ride. Do you all just stop along the course or just let er rip (cue Dumb & Dumber "that's real warm")? The reason I ask this question is because it would appear the pro's just let er fly because I seriously doubt they would want to lose the train and I know they have to go at least a couple of times if they are hydrating correctly.

I apologize in advance because I know that this is a total rookie question, but please let me in the loop. What do you all do?

Yes, I shave my legs. Yes, I am comfortable with this. I am enlightened.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [bloomers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at least some pros actually *practice* peeing on the bike

I would say that unless you are vying for age group world megachamp though, that it would perhaps be rude to do so, unless you are sure nobody is behind you =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, that would be gross.

Yes, I shave my legs. Yes, I am comfortable with this. I am enlightened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very odd and likely very unique to me, but I have never had to pee during all 4 of my IM's.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I've done it both ways.............without stopping and with stopping.........with stopping is more comfortable and less messy for sure. 30-45 seconds each time maybe once or twice on the bike and once on the run. 3 times during the swim but that doesn't count.....
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 3 times during the swim but that doesn't count.....

And i thought I just hit the gulf stream and some warmer water. glad my mouth was close ;o)

Quote | Reply
Stop and pee. Unless you are looking at a potential AG win or Kona spot, if that's important to you, then you won't lose enough time to make a difference.

I've done both and decided stopping is much more pleasant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothin' but a thang...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6I2-YP42rs
Last edited by: TrueGrit: Oct 18, 10 23:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's best to experiment a few times and see what works best for you... by the time you coasted a bit, checked there's no one behind you, relaxed enough, peed a bit, pedalled a bit, peed a bit more, it might be quicker for you to get off and be done with it. Have you measured your typical flow rate (TFR) and volume?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 64, and my bladder has apparently shrunk with age. I have to 'go' every half hour! I did Kona 23 years ago and didn't have to pee once (probably too dehydrated). Now I have an IM coming up and am trying to KQ, so this has been a dilemma. I peed on the bike once last year during a half IM and it was totally gross, but it does save time. So I've decided to just go ahead and let 'er rip. I'll probably change my shorts in T2, but that should be quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had to do it on the IM bike but several times during IM run. I just peed all over myself. messy but doable. It's good that you have to pee b/c that means you are hydrating well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please, Please, Please stop and pee! I was behind some jack wagon at IMLou and he let it fly, good thing no one was next to me because I had to made some crazy move to miss it. Which leads to a question. Is there some sort of international sign to warn rides that you are going to pee? If not there should be!
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [joey2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done two. Lake Placid in 2008 it rained, so I let 'er rip on both the bike and run. 2009, was mostly warm and dry so I stopped. At least I think I did...my mile 22 on the run, I dont think I had that much control over my bladder anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop and pee - my legs and back thank me for a 45 sec break and I'm not sure I don't get that back anyway by giving my position a break.....and you won't have pee soaked stuff the rest of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
30-45 seconds each time

More like 2+ minutes each time (on the bike), you need to consider the time you are going to lose from slowing down, dismounting and then getting back on and back up to speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can pee while you run?????? I'm impressed.....I think
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [joey2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow he must really have a forceful pee.

Mine usually just runs down my left leg into my shoe and onto the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mind you, all those that stop during an IM to pee, can't be bothered to get out of the pool to pee. I guess the extra 2 seconds they save in an IM swim is way more important than the potential minutes saved while peeing on the bike.

FF

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
30-45 seconds each time

More like 2+ minutes each time (on the bike), you need to consider the time you are going to lose from slowing down, dismounting and then getting back on and back up to speed.

Plus the time to hobble over to a portalet or to a nearby tree or bush. It's even worse if you're female, getting the damp tri shorts off and on. I'd say at least 3 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you watch the Kona video from this year you can see Lieto pee on the bike when coming back into town. Pretty close to the bike finish. After peeing you can see him cleaning off his water bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very odd and likely very unique to me, but I have never had to pee during all 4 of my IM's.

Jeez, you must taste a little pee in the back of your throat by the end!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Jeez, you must taste a little pee in the back of your throat by the end!

LOL! No, actually I don't feel like I have to go too bad and when I do, the color isn't too bright yellow either. I retain fluids..a lot. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only had to stop once on the bike and that was at special needs anyway. I was pulled over to change out the bottles and the pot-o-john was open. The whole evolution took less than 1 minute and I was stopped anyway.
For those not going for KQ I can't imagine spending half my day covered in urine. I thought about it a couple times and just decided it wasn't worth it.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3 times during the swim but that doesn't count.....

And i thought I just hit the gulf stream and some warmer water. glad my mouth was close ;o)

Your typo makes that hilarious. Maybe you little face should be :-O instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Peeing in an Ironman. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question to you guys that stop to go on the bike...

Did you buy a tri bike? How about Aero wheels? Pro Fit? Aero Helmet?

I ask that because all of those things cost money to save you seconds on your bike leg.
If so, it seems regardless of whether you are vying for the win or not, your time is important to you... important enough to spend (sometimes quite a bit of) your paycheck on it...

Pissing on yourself is free and will probably save just as much if not more time...

Just saying.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next