Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fwd facing mirror between aerobars.
Quote | Reply
I set up a friend with some clip on aerobars to help him relieve some major pain issues with his back and neck. While a major improvement, he has a problem flexing his neck/head high enough to keep him looking straight ahead.

No matter how he tries he can't hold that head up position longer than 4-5 minutes at a time, he feels that if he could just set up a mirror facing forward between the aerobars he can rest his neck periodically.

I seem to remember a post about such a setup.

Certainly not an ideal solution but if it can keep him riding what the heck.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To give a decent view of the road wouldn't the mirror have to either be an (illegal) fairing or create a lot of drag? Maybe a higher head position is just as fast pushing the mirror up the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raising the aerobars (handlebars) would work but he would lose the advantage of being able to lean down on them to relieve his back pain.

I don't think he cares too much about drag or legality at his point, he would just love to ride relatively pain free.

Thanks

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he needs a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry, and I don't intend any offense, but this sounds like the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

For no other reason than the safety factor. Looking into a mirror and trying to navigate your way up the road would seem extremely disorienting. Further, with parked cars, cars coming from the side, pedestrians, pot holes, etc, etc..., this would be just about the most unsafe idea I have ever heard. It even makes riding with the best ambient noise blocking headphones blaring at full blast and peripheral vision blocking glasses sound perfectly safe.

He needs to find a bike & position that fits him properly and accommodates whatever physiological issues he is having. If he just wants to ride pain free and doesn't care about aero or performance, this should not be all to hard to find.

It brings to mind the phrase "Friends don't let friends drive drunk." The same could be said here. Don't make your friend perform circus tricks on his daily rides.

Again, no offense. Just trying to save your friend from what I am almost 100% certain would be a crash and possible further injury.

http://ianmikelsonracing.com/2013/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
recumbent.
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [aztriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recumbant? I was thinking its time for his friend to take up golf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it might work but only on a track or so or in a race where you don't have to deal with traffic. In the "real world" it would be suicide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I have one of these double mirror units, it's been down in the basement since 1996.

WINDCHEETA Inc. Xenia Ohio

Forward Viewing System @ $39.95

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   I remember one from the old old days that sat on top of the (round) top tube, so it's not like it's never been done.
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sounds like he needs a road bike.

1! The mirror idea sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

----------------------
Tri Me.
Work Me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read some older issues of Triathlete magazine or Inside Triathlon and you will find ads for this product. I never used it so I can not comment on its effectivness or lack of, but it is exactly what you (or your friend) is looking for.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell your friend to forget the bike for a while and take up yoga. It will help him strengthen his back and neck muscles and hopefully relieve stress as well (quite often the cause of back/neck pain).
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he as tried the aerobars for a few days now and has ditched the idea of the mirror. He has found it not as difficult as he had first thought to lift his head up.

I'm kinda glad, I would have hated to set him up with some sort of mirror arrangement and have him crash....

thanks

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw an elite junior road cyclist (Team Slipstream) using one at a Time Trial this year. It was very professionally mounted and looked almost like an off the shelf product except that you could see it was done via DIY up close. He had the same head position issues with a really aggressive TT position. He seemed to like it although I can imagine even the slightest road vibration making it a really fuzzy view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

sounds like he needs to take some tips from the guys who do RAAM. good ol shermerneck!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Fwd facing mirror between aerobars. [Sub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I remember Robbie Ventura using something like this IM Canada.
Quote Reply