Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Sitero I just call a pain in my ass. I have this saddle now and it is amazing.

Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what model dash is that?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Power saddle has become our best selling saddle over the past year. More road then tri/TT, but we have quite a few customers using it on their tri/TT rigs. The tri/TT customers who like it are usually those that have some aversion to riding on the nose of a saddle. Either they just can't find a comfortable position on the nose of any of the ISM/Cobb/Tritone/Sitero/Etc. options, or they just naturally want to gravitate to the rear of the saddle.

scott benjamin
athletes lounge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think all of these saddles fall under the same "truncated nose" category, with the main feature (aside from the truncation of most of the traditional saddle "nose") being a channel between the 2 forward-most sections, with the intention of the rider weight being supported on both sides of that "channel", and with the "squishy bits" well forward). Whether or not those 2 sides are connected underneath at the front doesn't really matter from a functional standpoint, so I don't see that as a distinction.

TBH, I'm slightly surprised you had not seen the Power saddle until this past weekend...I've had one on my road bike for nearly 8 months now.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 19, 16 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Whether or not those 2 sides are connected underneath at the front doesn't really matter from a functional standpoint"

ISM would disagree with you on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd say those two saddle are two very different shapes, the arione (vs? vsx? or regular?) being long at 300mm but narrow at 132mm. Which Power width do you have...the 143,155 or 168? That saddle is also quite short - I can't find that dimension on their site, but guessing at 250, shorter than an Aliante at 275mm.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Whether or not those 2 sides are connected underneath at the front doesn't really matter from a functional standpoint"

As far as the shape and width went, the ISM I used (with prongs zip-tied) and Sitero were almost identical for the front half, and I sat on them the same. The biggest difference for me was that the Sitero, being connected, was a much more solid and stable platform than the ISM's individual prongs...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my tribike I ride the Selle SMP strike. I'm guessing it's in this category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using a Sitero and love it. Before that, the only saddle I could do longer distances on was a San Marco Azoto - those two could hardly be more different in terms of padding.

I don't really see a need to create different categories for, say, a Sitero and an ISM. I believe the guiding design principles are very similar (short nose with junk hanging off the front and relief channel down the middle). Split or not doesn't really matter. At least you don't need to zip tie the rails together with the Sitero. Maybe I am missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X 2! Best I've ever had in over 30 years.

BMANX wrote:
The Specialized Sitero I just call a pain in my ass. I have this saddle now and it is amazing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Do they have a good argument to disagree? My kids disagree with me all the time, that doesn't mean they are in the right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Only because they have a patent on them NOT being connected ;-)

TBH, although I like the ISM on my TT rig, on certain seat post clamp setups, NOT having the front of the rails connected can cause issues with the "prongs" not staying even. I had that problem on my S5.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Sitero because that's what the fitter suggested. Works fine. No numbness or discomfort.

Wife rides a Power. Again, at the fitter's suggestion, except it replaced an Adamo that caused her girly bits to bruise and swell. Power fixed those problems.

We just call them our bike saddles.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
After trying all of the ones listed, I'm on a Dash, which is very similar to some of these. It's the best feeling saddle I've ever used. Not a ton of padding, but the design is the first that allows me to actually have my "sit bones" where they're supposed to be without discomfort. Their designs rock! I

I agree with Gary. ditched the Adamo Prologue for a Dash tri saddle and could not be happier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I class saddles as Standard, Snub or noseless
Noseless are the ones with a short distance from contact point to nose (regardless of what shape the nose is) that leave your bits dangling in the wind
Snub are these in betweeners - have only lost a bit of the nose but still put quite a bit of saddle under you
I place Sitero in noseless, haven't had my hands on a T-Gale yet.

I'm finding the Power to be pretty good for Tri - snub saddle for those that like narrow noses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I refer to these as a saddle with a "full-length cutout" (even though for many it's a channel and not all the way through...functionally it's the same). Previous saddles (Specialized Tritip, Profile Tri Stryke) had central cutouts, but full noses, so the cutout length is what differentiates these new ones.

There's the second dimension, related to saddles having a snub nose (i.e. you're supposed to ride JOF).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Apr 19, 16 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the sitero. Not sure what they should be called. Bridged Split-nose maybe? Lol. I moved to it from the Adamo road. No specific reason other than the endless quest to find the right saddle for me. Part of the decision was the integrated rear single bottle holder. I'm very satisfied with it and for now my quest is on hold. 😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the Bonty Hilo. I made this switch after a few years on ISM saddles - Road, TT, Breakaway and Prologue. The ISM's were great for getting me in aero position, but through some combination of leg or pelvis asymmetry I ended up with inflammation and bursitis in the soft tissue over my left ischial tuberosity that was unbearable. I even demo'd a Dash and found the same result.

Saddle width seemed to play a part so I tried the Hilo RXL Speeddial. It turned out the only setting that worked was opened up all the way. I've since bought another Hilo RXL w/o the adjustment for my newest tri bike. I ride it right up near the front which can still lead to numbness and require shifting side to side on long rides. My tissue issue seems to be very sensitive to saddle width. Too wide and it inflames the taint near my leg. Of course too narrow and I get numbed. The Hilo seems to be the sweet spot.

I have a T-Gale on the bench and a Sitero that I've been meaning to try, but they are so similar to the Hilo I'm not sure either could provide an improvement. I'm not sure that I can sit as aggressively with the more standard Hilo so I continue to hope for a split nose, truncated saddle that might work. I've been considering a Cobb JOF55 demo due to the narrow nose.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
After trying all of the ones listed, I'm on a Dash, which is very similar to some of these. It's the best feeling saddle I've ever used. Not a ton of padding, but the design is the first that allows me to actually have my "sit bones" where they're supposed to be without discomfort. Their designs rock! I

i sat on one while doing a bike fit. didn't know the price, or anything about it. i tried 8 different saddles while being fit. i sat on the dash and said put one on my bike. i don't care about price.

perhaps it's just me, but it's the best saddle i have ever sat on (for a tri position)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Only because they have a patent on them NOT being connected ;-)"

because they thought that feature worth protecting.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Only because they have a patent on them NOT being connected ;-)"

because they thought that feature worth protecting.

Just because a feature is "patent protected" it doesn't necessarily mean it actually does anything substantially different than similar devices without that feature...you know that ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Saddles: do you use one of these? What do we call this saddle genus? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

i sat on one while doing a bike fit. didn't know the price, or anything about it. i tried 8 different saddles while being fit. i sat on the dash and said put one on my bike. i don't care about price.

perhaps it's just me, but it's the best saddle i have ever sat on (for a tri position)

X3. I rode my Dash on Sunday for several hours after a foot surgery-induced layoff. It was as comfortable as when I got off the bike four months earlier. Having my lady bits not being bruised or abraded is truly a wonderful thing!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Specialized Power saddle"

i saw this saddle for the first time at the Athletes Lounge Road Show in Portland over the weekend. it's a very popular seller up there at that store. it looked promising to me. i thought about putting it on my road bike, giving it a try. but is it a tri saddle for those hiked over into a decent position? or is it a road saddle only?

I use a power saddle on all of my bikes (road, tt, mtb, cx). It's super comfy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my $0.02 as a ISM Prologue user: I found the Bontrager Hilo to be a terrible TT saddle but *the best* road saddle I've ever used by a long shot. The contrast for me between the road and the TT positions was very dramatic and I have a hard time explaining it. The Selle Iron Flow is on my "to-try" list.
Quote Reply

Prev Next