Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM run. planed run/walk
Quote | Reply
a friend of mine and i have been kicking around the idea of a run/walk IM marathon. both him and i have done multiple IMs and find that we like many others train to run it BUT you know the death march.

so we were wondering if anyone has actually trained and raced with a run/walk plan.

if you have or know of such a plan give it up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you projected average pace, based on your threshold run pace, falls below about 10:00-12:00/mi ( depending on your height), I believe you are better off doing a run walk, rather than a very very slow run. You would run at 9:30-10:00, walk at 15:00-16:00. Probably target 2/3 run, 13 walk as needed to reach your target intensity.

In very hot weather where hydration and cooling are critical, many elites and pros will walk aide stations to get what they need. This in includes the current world champion.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some injuries for my first open marathon last year and implemented a 4/1 run/walk ratio. I started playing with it on some of my longer runs by extending the ratio to 5/1 and found I was actually faster at 4/1. I'm curious to see what others recommend as I was considering it for my first IM this year (10 minutes per mile would be a stretch goal I think).

Here's a related question if you don't mind me jumping in... Should you practice what you plan on doing in the race? For example, if you have a 12 mile run dialed up for the weekend should you go with whatever run/walk ratio you decide on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a run/walk. I ran 9:30 and walked 30 seconds. I took my time from a little over 4 hours to 3:37 with the run/walk and have gone faster since. The walk breaks are a good time to eat and drink and your legs feel like they get a bit of a reset. My HR usually dropped about 10-15 beats. It also breaks up the run mentally. There's a calculator online somewhere that will calculate your average pace based on different run/walk strategies. With the 9:30/30 plan I did I would lose about 10 seconds per mile on my average with the walk breaks, but in the end I actually ended up faster overall (even on my long runs I was faster with the run/walk and didn't feel as beat up afterwards).

A lot of people do a run/walk, but they don't call it that so they don't admit to doing a run/walk, but you'll hear a lot of people say they walk every aid station. Well, that's a run/walk.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say 4/1, is that by time or distance? Or does it matter because you just find the ratio that works for you?
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, that was by time. I believe Galloway has a table with recommended run/walk ratios based on your pace. That would be a good place to start but after that it's up to experimentation I would think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run / walk for the last 2 years. I would consistently get an injury in years past. Lots of IT band issues with non stop running. I did go whole hog if I had a run longer then 30 min I would run walk. The first year I did a 3 min run and a 45 sec walk. I have settled into a 4/1 and finished 2 IM's last year happy and injury free. This year I'm going to try a more run / run slower instead of a walk in training and see how that goes. I highly recommend it. It feels more like interval training and for me that makes a long run more manageable.
Last edited by: vvsamiamvv: Feb 13, 16 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I had some injuries for my first open marathon last year and implemented a 4/1 run/walk ratio. I started playing with it on some of my longer runs by extending the ratio to 5/1 and found I was actually faster at 4/1. I'm curious to see what others recommend as I was considering it for my first IM this year (10 minutes per mile would be a stretch goal I think).

Here's a related question if you don't mind me jumping in... Should you practice what you plan on doing in the race? For example, if you have a 12 mile run dialed up for the weekend should you go with whatever run/walk ratio you decide on?

I ran my second marathon last year with a 4/1. (I am not fast at all) but finished in 4:20 ish so a little over 10 min miles. Wasn't after a swim bike though..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a run/walk for my first IM. I had not planned it, but when I got to the run it became very quickly clear that the pace I had in mind was just not going to happen. I ended up with a one minute walk/one minute run... It was not pretty, but it got me to the finish line, and I was happy. For my next IM, I did a 4minute run/1 minute walk strategy.....it worked out well because it meant that every other walk was basically through an aid station. I practiced this method once before at a half marathon, just because I wanted to make sure it would work with my time goals- but I did not use it for any other training runs. I was happy with it- and would probably use it for another IM unless I was somehow miraculously super strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first Ironman last year (and first Marathon within it). I did the run walk -- 9 min running / 1 min walking + 1 min through each aide station if they didnt land around the pre-planned walk time. I ran a 4:50 marathon so not fast by any stretch. I practiced the run walk on my long runs (12+miles) with my longest being a 18 miler. I run about 10 min mile long run pace. With the run walk, I could run about 9:30 pace. I enjoyed it because it gives you a mental break every 10 mins which is huge when you're fighting the mental lows of the IM Marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1). Why a run/walk?
2). Maybe just do a 70.3?
3). Just run at a slower pace, I haven't seen any info that a run/walk is "faster" than running and a reduced slower pace and just walk the aid stations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
a friend of mine and i have been kicking around the idea of a run/walk IM marathon. both him and i have done multiple IMs and find that we like many others train to run it BUT you know the death march.

so we were wondering if anyone has actually trained and raced with a run/walk plan.

I'd be more interested in why is it a death march? Are you over biking? Running out of T2 too fast? Poor nutrition/hydration? 99/100 it is not a lack of fitness or poor training but poor race planning/execution.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

"Walk breaks… • Speed you up: an average of 7 minutes faster in a 13.1 mile race when non-stop runners shift to the correct Run Walk Run ratio - and more than 13 minutes faster in the marathon."

Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can not speak for others but pre bike vs cars accident mine was over bike and calorie intake. seriously though after doing a few im races you see many poor souls that did not plan it but were in the death march mode. so after thinking about a return to im i thought that a planned run/walk would be a good plan. alot of good advice so far.

thanx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run/walk definately has it's place especially at the start of the run. You might find after a few miles that you are in a better position to run a steady pace.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilham wrote:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

"Walk breaks… • Speed you up: an average of 7 minutes faster in a 13.1 mile race when non-stop runners shift to the correct Run Walk Run ratio - and more than 13 minutes faster in the marathon."

If only Crowie found this website he would have been able to compete more and win a few more Konas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this. Ran 9-10 min miles in training and IM. My coach had me walk 1 min every mile during long runs to simulate aid stations.

Although, I've been injury prone on the run. I'm trying to take it really slow this year. Both ironman's, I made it half way before pulling a muscle. Had to walk fast the rest of the way. I managed about 13-14 min mile walking fast. Frustrating, but it is what it is. My hope is to follow this same strategy, but not hurt myself and be able to run the whole marathon. We will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a planned run/walk for my first full iron distance race last year.

I started by running 3, walking 1... did that 3 times.
I'm thinking great, I'm almost halfway thru!
I then went to 2/1 for a few cycles, 1.5/1 and finished 1/1... going by feel.

I finished the marathon in 5:45 (old and slow).
Still tough, but never resorted to the death march.

I'm registered for Chattanooga, and plan on using some of the run/walk strategy again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run. planed run/walk [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
cjb3 wrote:

I'd be more interested in why is it a death march? Are you over biking? Running out of T2 too fast? Poor nutrition/hydration? 99/100 it is not a lack of fitness or poor training but poor race planning/execution.

For the people I know who end up like this for the run is simply not nearly enough run training leading up to the race. And partly overestimating their ability on the bike. Lots of egos in this sport.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply